We will win the comp in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember 2009? We had a great year after a wooden spoon. So yeah, we have the ability to bounce back fast.
100% mate, We had a so called halfback who was “washed up” (kimmorley) but he was one of the best things to happen to us that year , we had Ben hannant come over and a average forward pack aside from David stagg and mick ennis and we were one game from the big grand final

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Maybe make the gf but lose. Steve folks first year we made it to the grand final but lost, des hasler first year made it to gf but lost, Dean pay first year......
Make the gf n put 50 on Melbourne

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Foran fires and manages games then I see us being in top 8 in 2018 but Cows, Roosters & Melbourne have rosters that are superior to ours. TO be fair our new coach has to build his style and roster and Des's choice of forward will differ considerably to Dean's. This will consume 2018 & 2019 but I see us being a force in 2020 once Dean has the orster of his choice.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure we could give it a shake, my main concern is Foran health, if he fires other teams will target him knowing that without him we will struggle.
I'd put money on us winning if I was sure about Foran's health.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we will make the 8 and be very competitive and then sign some good players for 2019 ,if they stay fit the cowboys should win it ,now with jordan mclean there that allows taumalalo to play wide ,they will be destroying teams i feel

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's weird to me how you guys are talking grand finals because I think the Dogs have one of the weakest teams in the comp next year. Especially with their spine: Mbye, Foran, Brown? Lichaa. Even comparing that to the Tigers: Lolohea, Reynolds, Brooks, Liddle. Who I can admit have a pretty weak spine. I honestly think the Dogs would do well to make it above 12th next season.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We will be anywhere between 12th and 7th... too many good teams above us

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
@no1bulldog Hey man... it's time to update your signature ;)

Wake me up when Des either leaves or dies

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It's weird to me how you guys are talking grand finals because I think the Dogs have one of the weakest teams in the comp next year. Especially with their spine: Mbye, Foran, Brown? Lichaa. Even comparing that to the Tigers: Lolohea, Reynolds, Brooks, Liddle. Who I can admit have a pretty weak spine. I honestly think the Dogs would do well to make it above 12th next season.
So what you are saying is you wanted Des to stay? Under Des we were 11th this year. So u are saying Pay will go worse than Des?

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS

Gains: Fa’amanu Brown (Sharks), Kieran Foran (Warriors), Ofahiki Ogden (Warriors), Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers), Clay Priest (Raiders), Mason Cerruto (Panthers), Jarred Anderson (Roosters)

Losses: James Graham (Dragons), Sam Kasiano (Storm), Richard Kennar (Rabbitohs), Josh Reynolds (Wests Tigers), Tyrone Phillips (Panthers), Brad Abbey (Raiders), Adam Keighran (Panthers), Craig Garvey (Raiders)

Key buy: Kieran Foran. If the Kiwi international’s body can hold up, his arrival will be a game changer for the Dogs. With Foran a dominant and calming influence, he’ll free up Moses Mbye to move into a role where he can play footy and that’s at fullback. Mbye is a runner and at his best when he’s playing reactive football. With him running off Foran, the Bulldogs will turn plenty of heads in 2018

The pressure: Aaron Woods. The Dogs released their skipper to make room for the prop so there’s plenty of expectation on the new recruit. While Woods is a representative, he doesn’t offer a whole lot different from Graham. In fact, when Graham tweaked his playing style during the World Cup, he looked like a real weapon. The leadership void left by Graham is huge so Woods and some of his younger teammates will need to find their voice quickly.

Analysis: There’s been plenty of change in this squad but they’re on the right track. The biggest concern is around the backline. The Morris twins are experienced and dependable but ageing and slowing. The Morris boys would make any first grade side in the competition but need some class around them. Will Hopoate is solid but not a game change, Brenko Lee is a defensive liability and Marcelo Montoya is still developing. Ideally they’d add another quality centre to their list.

Roster rating: C+

Thats from foxsports nathan ryan. I probably would rate us slightly higher than that.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS

Gains: Fa’amanu Brown (Sharks), Kieran Foran (Warriors), Ofahiki Ogden (Warriors), Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers), Clay Priest (Raiders), Mason Cerruto (Panthers), Jarred Anderson (Roosters)

Losses: James Graham (Dragons), Sam Kasiano (Storm), Richard Kennar (Rabbitohs), Josh Reynolds (Wests Tigers), Tyrone Phillips (Panthers), Brad Abbey (Raiders), Adam Keighran (Panthers), Craig Garvey (Raiders)

Key buy: Kieran Foran. If the Kiwi international’s body can hold up, his arrival will be a game changer for the Dogs. With Foran a dominant and calming influence, he’ll free up Moses Mbye to move into a role where he can play footy and that’s at fullback. Mbye is a runner and at his best when he’s playing reactive football. With him running off Foran, the Bulldogs will turn plenty of heads in 2018

The pressure: Aaron Woods. The Dogs released their skipper to make room for the prop so there’s plenty of expectation on the new recruit. While Woods is a representative, he doesn’t offer a whole lot different from Graham. In fact, when Graham tweaked his playing style during the World Cup, he looked like a real weapon. The leadership void left by Graham is huge so Woods and some of his younger teammates will need to find their voice quickly.

Analysis: There’s been plenty of change in this squad but they’re on the right track. The biggest concern is around the backline. The Morris twins are experienced and dependable but ageing and slowing. The Morris boys would make any first grade side in the competition but need some class around them. Will Hopoate is solid but not a game change, Brenko Lee is a defensive liability and Marcelo Montoya is still developing. Ideally they’d add another quality centre to their list.

Roster rating: C+

Thats from foxsports nathan ryan. I probably would rate us slightly higher than that.
But surprise surprise the Broncos who lost more than they got were assessed at A. Even the Storm who lost Cronk and McLean are rated an A. At least our roster has improved

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
three big question marks.

1. How does Mbye handle the move to Fullback?.. I think he will kill it.
2. Does Foran stay healthy? dunno it's a tough one...
3. Kicking game?.. this i feel is the real problem. if we retire Eastwood and sign someone with a good long kicking game and can kick goals to partner Foran... well I think it is a very balanced side

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have the same feeling only if the last piece of the puzzle falls into place ,Eastwood to retire and sign a quality half with his money
What quality halves are there left to sign...?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

3. Kicking game?.. this i feel is the real problem. if we retire Eastwood and sign someone with a good long kicking game and can kick goals to partner Foran... well I think it is a very balanced side
Good points. I agree that with you on Mbye. I reckon Foran will be fine as well. He certainly looked fit when I saw him last week but I guess we won't know until he runs against opposition. I think our kicking game will be OK. Mbye has a long boot on him but it wasn't what Des wanted him to do. He was after position. He even said starting from the 10 or 30 is irrelevant. Mbye was actually above the NRL av last season in length of kicks from inside our own 40, so with different strategies we might go OK with the long kicks. Hopefully Foz will control the short ones.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good points. I agree that with you on Mbye. I reckon Foran will be fine as well. He certainly looked fit when I saw him last week but I guess we won't know until he runs against opposition. I think our kicking game will be OK. Mbye has a long boot on him but it wasn't what Des wanted him to do. He was after position. He even said starting from the 10 or 30 is irrelevant. Mbye was actually above the NRL av last season in length of kicks from inside our own 40, so with different strategies we might go OK with the long kicks. Hopefully Foz will control the short ones.
Dire straits is my guess

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

4. Will they get fit enough and happy enough in the pre-season to avoid mentally and physically disintegrating in the back half of the season like the last 2 years?

I don't think Des prepared them right the last 2 years and he didn't handle the interchange reduction as good as other coaches.

We play nine games against this years top 8 teams in the first 11 rounds next year and only three against top 8 teams in the last 14 rounds, including a bye. We have to start really well. If we do and your 3 points get a yes, I think we'll be right.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But surprise surprise the Broncos who lost more than they got were assessed at A. Even the Storm who lost Cronk and McLean are rated an A. At least our roster has improved
Bird replacing Moga is an upgrade. If the Broncos gamble on Nikorima pays off they'll be better than last year. He had 5 or 6 game stretch where he was on fire. Not sure how Tagatese and Lodge go replacing Blair and Ese'ese but Bennett obviously doesn't want to spend money on props when he has one of the best backlines in the business.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats because you support a perennially underperforming team, but we all support a generally overperforming team. A team that wins games when we are underdogs. A team that knows how to win tough games.
Mbye will be a revalation at fb next year. Im very confident of this. And if foran kind rediscover his best form he is better then any player on your whole roster. I think cleeland is a better option then brown at 5/8, and im confident that lichaa can build on his last few games.
Thats why we are confident.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bird replacing Moga is an upgrade. If the Broncos gamble on Nikorima pays off they'll be better than last year. He had 5 or 6 game stretch where he was on fire. Not sure how Tagatese and Lodge go replacing Blair and Ese'ese but Bennett obviously doesn't want to spend money on props when he has one of the best backlines in the business.
Bird could play lock. I reckon he would be a gun lock. Broncos are skinny in the props so may want to shift McGuire there

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Blair is the NZ captain, Hunt an Aust/Qld rep and being replaced by a pensioner and a thug. Bird for Moga maybe Bird shades him a bit but Moga had his first full season last year and looked pretty strong for mine and is starting to live up to his potential. Bird is day to day at best. Compare that with who we lost and gained and I think our recruitment is much better than theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.