The diet and Melbourne regimen turning Dogzilla — Sam Kasiano — into a Storm thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

WHEN Sam Kasiano arrived on Melbourne’s doorstep five weeks ago to begin life as a Stormer he tipped the scales at 136 kilograms.

That’s not unusual for a man standing at 195 centimetres tall who makes a living from knocking blokes on their backside.

When foxsports.com.au rang Kasiano for an interview on Tuesday, the scales in the club’s gym read 128 kilograms.

He had shed eight kilos off his hulking frame in his first five weeks in the southern capital.

And the shredding won’t stop there.

“Right now I’m about 128, my goal is 125,” Kasiano explained.

“Got three to go ... maybe I’ll try to (lose) a few more if I can.”

The man formerly known as Dogzilla explains how he’s reshaping his body — and his game — under NRL supercoach Craig Bellamy.

—————————————

Kas putting in the work! pic.twitter.com/HMuJtkwiNv

— Melbourne Storm (@storm) December 12, 2017

—————————————

THE DIET

Kasiano has never been shy to admit his eating habits left a bit to be desired for an athlete playing football at the elite level.

Trips through the McDonalds drive-through on the way home from training were far too regular during his time at the Bulldogs.

“At Canterbury I was pretty much eating whatever I wanted,” he laughs.

But he was an impact player whose role was to barge through opposition defences. It didn’t matter if he was carrying a few extra kilos.

His attitude changed when he was due to be married at the end of 2016, and he decided to slim down for the wedding. That and to impress Des Hasler.

Kasiano shed 13 kilos and returned to Belmore looking like a new man.

But now he has to do it all again to reach his goal playing weight of 125 kilograms.

His diet is in stark contrast to what it was 18 months ago.

“Before I go to training I’ll have poached eggs on toast with avocado,” Kasiano explained.

“Then lunch time the club provides lunch, so I’ll eat whatever they make.

“For dinner the (wife) has been cooking me all the chicken, steak, veges, stuff like that.

“More veges than meat ... I’m loving it now but.”

The diet has taken deliberate planning from Kasiano.

Sam Kasiano did two weeks of work placement at Werribee Racecourse as an introduction to Melbourne.

Showing initiative, he approached the Melbourne trainers to help map out a plan that will help him achieve his Storm slim-down.

“All the trainers here are unbelievable. They’ve been helping me with what to eat, when to eat, all that stuff,” he said.

“I’ve been asking them, I’ve been going to them and asking what I should eat, and they’ve been really good.”

—————————————

BELLAMY’S BOOT CAMP

Kasiano says the first five weeks of pre-season have been “tough”.

It’s about to get a whole lot tougher.

On Monday all the Storm recruits will get on a bus and be driven to Bellamy’s famed pre-season boot camp.

The three-day getaway is torture, designed to mentally steel the new Stormers and sort the contenders from the pretenders.

There’s the rude 3am wake-up calls to trudge endlessly around a track in pitch darkness with a 20-kilogram pack on your back. All the while being yelled at by military hard-nuts intent on breaking you down.

It’s bested some of the toughest blokes in rugby league. And Kasiano admits it’s one of the most daunting things he’ll ever do.

“I’ve heard a lot of things. The boys, I think they’re just trying to make us all scared,” he said.

“You get nervous but you’ve just got to do it.

“We did like a Navy Seal one with the Dogs so I guess it will be similar to that. I think it’s more mental, to see if you’re mentally tough.

Sam Kasiano in action for the BulldogsSource: Getty Images
“I can’t wait (laughs).”

One of the boys winding him up about next week’s boot camp is former Bulldogs teammate Dale Finucane.

He lifted the lid on Bellamy’s gruelling boot camp in an interview with foxsports.com.au last year.

And now he’s able to sit back and watch the Storm newcomers sweat and shake at the horror stories told around the gym.

“It always comes around this time of year when all the new boys haven’t been on the camp yet,” Finucane told foxsports.com.au.

“Questions start popping up and they start getting really nervous, asking what should I bring, what should I do, what to expect.

“I think everyone gives a bit of cheek to build it up worse than it is.

“I’m sure big Sammy will be fine.”

—————————————

DOGZILLA TO STORM THRILLER

A new diet. A brutal new pre-season regimen. A new club, teammates, and coach.

Rugby league fans could witness a new Sam Kasiano in 2018.

He’ll be playing with at least 10 less kilograms on his frame, and he hopes that will allow his game time to increase.

Bellamy asked him how many minutes he wanted to play next season. Kasiano said he wanted to start with a base of 40 minutes per game, and hopefully increase that over the course of the season.

The last time he averaged more than 40 minutes was in 2012. It was his best season in the NRL and he was crowned Dally M Prop of the Year.

Since then he hasn’t averaged more than 33 minutes across a season with the Bulldogs.

In 2012, he weighed in at 128 kilos.

Finucane is expecting big things from his born-again fitness freak friend.

“Since I’ve been back watching him train and learning the players, learning the ins and outs of our club, he’s really flourished and he’s going really well,” Finucane said.

“I think he’ll have a great season. He is looking in really good shape and I think he’ll have a really good year.”

But while his minutes will be up and his skinfolds down, Kasiano isn’t planning to completely overhaul his game.

He’ll be sticking to the three basic instructions that have shaped his career to date — run hard. Run straight. Offload.

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
a grown man who plays professional football asking his trainers what he should be eating.. ffs
I know man, it's embarrassing that a so-called professional rugby league player still needs to be baby sat like this.

He's in for a fucking rude shock when he finishes playing and joins the "real-world"!

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You know he is going to kill it at Melbourne.

Got me thinking about all the forwards Hasler let go, would make a formidable pack:

8. Kasiano
9. Ennis
10. Graham
11. Prichard
12. Taupau
13. Finucane

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Got me thinking about all the forwards Hasler let go, would make a formidable pack:

8. Kasiano
9. Ennis
10. Graham
11. Prichard
12. Taupau
13. Finucane
Yeah Pritchard is killin it in reserves and Ennis is awesome in the fox studios

Malla

Reaction score

8. Kasiano
9. Ennis
10. Graham
11. Prichard
12. Taupau
13. Finucane
Finucane is our biggest loss to this day. Cannot believe we let him go for that hack Williams. FFS

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Every off-season there's a story about Kas losing weight. Didn't the same thing happen last off season? What the heck happened, did he put it all on again? Come on Kas...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Same shit every year. Also what a **** for admitting he was eating shit behind the clubs back while at the dogs and laughing about it. Also fuck our club for being fucking soft on him. Fat **** went downhill as soon as Frank left as he didn't have someone babying him all the time and instead had that other fat fuck Feastwood as his food buddy ffs. So fucking happy he's gone.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guess its OK to bag big Sam now hes gone, but I see a fair bit of truth in what he says.
He did not receive the training and treatment he deserved at the Dogs.
Thankfully that regime is now gone and we can look forward to better things. He will be devastating at the Storm.
Will just show what a good coach can do.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Same shit every year. Also what a **** for admitting he was eating shit behind the clubs back while at the dogs and laughing about it. Also fuck our club for being fucking soft on him. Fat **** went downhill as soon as Frank left as he didn't have someone babying him all the time and instead had that other fat fuck Feastwood as his food buddy ffs. So fucking happy he's gone.
Going through Maccas drive-thru on the way home isn't exactly doing something behind the clubs back... it's not like he (or anyone here) need permission to do that. It's a free world. It wasn't ideal but nothing immoral or illegal.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Going through Maccas drive-thru on the way home isn't exactly doing something behind the clubs back... it's not like he (or anyone here) need permission to do that. It's a free world. It wasn't ideal but nothing immoral or illegal.
It is immoral.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hahaha, what absolute dribble. Free world? Hahahahaha wtf. Kas is meant to be a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE, not a fucking regular **** with a regular job. The bloke had meals prepared for him at the club, yet he still went behind the clubs back to go and eat maccas on the way home. The fat fuck probably then had another meal when he got home ffs. The bloke ate, smoked and drank so much garbage, it totally is immoral for a person in his position.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Hahaha, what absolute dribble. Free world? Hahahahaha wtf. Kas is meant to be a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE, not a fucking regular **** with a regular job. The bloke had meals prepared for him at the club, yet he still went behind the clubs back to go and eat maccas on the way home. The fat fuck probably then had another meal when he got home ffs. The bloke ate, smoked and drank so much garbage, it totally is immoral for a person in his position.
Look, the club prepared meals, it was all obviously good stuff. What is so wrong about getting a burger on the way home if you're not satisfied? And there's nothing to suggest he ate more when he got home.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Look, the club prepared meals, it was all obviously good stuff. What is so wrong about getting a burger on the way home if you're not satisfied? And there's nothing to suggest he ate more when he got home.
Burger / fast food = unhealthy and not ideal food for athletes.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some story different year. Theres been an article on him losing weight every year (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and now 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.