Mitchell Pearce to Knights for $4 million over 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would they release Brock Lamb? Watson is very versatile and probably best off the bench as an impact player. Potentially move him to hooker where his speed and kicking game can catch players out.

Manly would be pissed as I'd heard from very good sources (ex players who know staff there) that he was pretty much over the line, and that's why they were releasing Green.

Someones fucked up BIGTIME there (worse than Dib signing Hasler for 2 more years).

Who will be alongside DCE now? I doubt they'll take Lamb..

Maybe they'll keep Hastings and promote him?
Des is out of a job. He can play in the halves.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is Mitchell Pearce worth $1M a season? I doubt it.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is Mitchell Pearce worth $1M a season? I doubt it.
Yes he is. He's a top 5 halfback in the world. Dragons are payign Ben Hunt that and he is way better than Hunt. Also for the Knights it would've been worth paying him more than that.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes he is. He's a top 5 halfback in the world. Dragons are payign Ben Hunt that and he is way better than Hunt. Also for the Knights it would've been worth paying him more than that.
Hunt's not worth anywhere near it either. Some clubs have paid WAY too much. Josh Reynolds is another.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's worth $1m a season to the Knights.
They may think he is worth it, but will they get value for money. The answer in no for mine. He hasn't been able to close the deal on a dog let alone in an important game!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why Knights HAVE to release Lamb at all. Who knows how all those new players will gel and if they get injuries. For the first time in ages they have some depth now. The club should deny any release request as he only re-signed no that long ago

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't think he is good enough to bring them up.

He'll be regretting this decision in 12 months time.

Pearce is a good half but he isn't a half that carries the team. He should've joined Cronulla.
I disagree. Knight are top 8 for me after this signing. If not they will be right there at the end of the season. O cant see how they wont be. Great spine, some good young forwards like the saifiti brothers and hermen ese'ese, and a few good old heads like guerra. Im expecting big things. And i cant wait to see them play.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way they’d release Lamb, keep him at 5/8 to partner Pearce and as other posters have said, keep Watson as your utility/back up

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is Pearce worth 4 million?
Knights putting all their eggs in one basket, a little too desperate considering Lamb was coming good, still a bonus for the Knights.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to 2 Roosters games next year now, vs Knights and vs Storm, and I hope they loose both!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They may think he is worth it, but will they get value for money. The answer in no for mine. He hasn't been able to close the deal on a dog let alone in an important game!
Pearce is still one of the better halves in the comp even with his faults and has a lot of experience. He's also a much needed marquee signing that the Knights have been lacking. There's also no reason why he couldn't improve with this move, technically he has the ability, it's just the mental side where he's lacking the cutting edge under pressure. He's been at the Rooster for a very long time with the same expectations and pressure, a new environment, coach, systems, etc, could be exactly what he needs to develop and grow as a player.

Either way, Knights signing Pearce is an absolute no brainer for me given their situation, even if he doesn't get any better. They have plenty of cap space and the Knights with Pearce will be a better team than without him.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Take overhyped Origin performances out of the equation and Pearce is a top club half. Astute signing for the Newcastle.

They've been doing a lot of business with ex Roosters players:

Guerra
SKD
Watson
Pearce
Elliott

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Reynolds is worth $850 or whatever the tigpies paid him then Pearce is worth $1mill

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Back to where I was saying he was a done deal with Manly.

A club don't release a media statement for a player they never had, unless it was VERY VERY close.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2017/11/30/mitchell_pearce_news.html

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles understands Mitchell Pearce has chosen to play at another club in 2018.

“On behalf of our members, fans and corporate partners, we made a serious effort to secure Mitchell’s services but there was always a limit to that offer in order to ensure our ability to continue to attract and retain the very best playing group over the years to come,’’ said Manly CEO Lyall Gorman.

“There are a number of very capable and exciting young players coming through our ranks and a major focus is to invest strongly in their development.

“We wish Mitchell every success in his future career.”

Sea Eagles Coach Trent Barrett said the Club would now move forward.

“We put in a very strong offer for Mitchell. We were not going to get in a bidding war with any other Club,’’ Barrett said.

“Mitchell was honest through the whole process and we wish him all the best.

“We move forward with a very, very competitive playing roster for 2018 and onwards. We look forward to the year ahead.”

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Knights were desperate to fill their cap so they've paid as much as logically possible to get Pearce. This is the way clubs get in cap trouble by paying over and then in a year or two they find another talent and then paying a little more and so it goes until they are either no longer able to get new players or are caught by the cap guy.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Knights were desperate to fill their cap so they've paid as much as logically possible to get Pearce. This is the way clubs get in cap trouble by paying over and then in a year or two they find another talent and then paying a little more and so it goes until they are either no longer able to get new players or are caught by the cap guy.
Exactly, that's why you have to say we'd love to have you but not that much. This would have left Pearce at the Roosters or Pearce without a club although I doubt he would have left without knowing his fate.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I applaud Peace for making this move.
Well done son & a $200k pay increase.
Comming up roses.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Knights possible backline

1 ponga.