Mitchell Pearce to Knights for $4 million over 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Danny Weidler

✔@Danny_Weidler

All the talk about Mitch Pearce and the Knights is spot on. Unless there is a last minute change of mind he will end up there @9NewsSyd

2:07 PM - Nov 30, 2017

https://twitter.com/josh_massoud/status/936070109537251328
Josh Massoud

✔@josh_massoud

I’m thinking the Johns brothers can take a lot of the credit for steering Mitchell Pearce to @NRLKnights. But what about Brock Lamb? I’m expecting him to sign a three-year deal with @SeaEagles and campaign for an immediate release.

2:11 PM - Nov 30, 2017

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mitchell Pearce set to join the Newcastle Knights

MITCHELL Pearce is set to join Newcastle on a four-year, $4 million deal after walking away from the Roosters.

The 28-year-old quit the Bondi club after it secured the services of former Melbourne playmaker Cooper Cronk and according to a report by The Daily Telegraph, will play for the Knights in 2018.

Newcastle has beaten Cronulla and Manly in the race for Pearce’s signature. Per The Daily Telegraph, the Knights’ offer is worth $1 million more over the four years than the SHarks were able to offer.

Newcastle has “won” the past three wooden spoons but has been active in the market as it bolsters its roster ahead of the 2018 season.

Pearce’s former Roosters teammates Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Aiden Guerra and Connor Watson will all wear the blue and red next year, as will young gun Kalyn Ponga after he was lured south from the North Queensland Cowboys.

Veteran Sharks back-rower Chris Heighington and Brisbane outside back Tautau Moga have also joined the club.

Pearce was unhappy the Tricolours signed Cronk after the Queensland and Australian halfback moved to Sydney to be with his fiance Tara Rushton. He wanted to be the leader in the No. 7 jersey, not play second fiddle in the halves or risk being forced to come off the bench to share the hooking duties with co-captain Jake Friend.

The Roosters wanted Pearce to stay but after reflecting on his situation during an overseas holiday, he decided it wasn’t in his best interests to remain at the club where he’s spent his entire NRL career.

Newcastle legend Matty Johns called Pearce to convince him to ply his trade in the Hunter, and his words appear to have done the trick — or at least helped.

Johns — brother of rugby league immortal Andrew — spoke to Pearce after the Roosters officially released him to explain the benefits of playing for Newcastle. He told The Daily Telegraph he relayed how the community would embrace the NSW Origin star and assured him he’d be playing for a team going places after suffering through some dark times of late.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is probably the best move for him and the Knights.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't really like Pearce, but I'll admit that it's a good deal for the Knights and he'll make them competitive again.

So what'll Manly do now? Green's already signed with the Warriors. Maybe they'll get Hokko back....:tearsofjoy:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maloney still up in the air? Don't think its done and dry at the riff

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The twitter account “Reading the Play” was adamant he was a done deal to Manly they are so full of shit.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read as rumour that with Pearce to knights- brock lamb goes to manly.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brock Lamb will be a very good player. I would love to have him. I would honestly take him over Foran right now.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Props to Pearce for actually joining a wooden spoon club trying to make it competitive again or not. Regardless of the extra money it's good for the knights.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ponga
Watson
Pearce
Levi

Not a bad spine....

Warriors to get the wooden spoon.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lamb is better than Watson

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why would they release Brock Lamb? Watson is very versatile and probably best off the bench as an impact player. Potentially move him to hooker where his speed and kicking game can catch players out.

Manly would be pissed as I'd heard from very good sources (ex players who know staff there) that he was pretty much over the line, and that's why they were releasing Green.

Someones fucked up BIGTIME there (worse than Dib signing Hasler for 2 more years).

Who will be alongside DCE now? I doubt they'll take Lamb..

Maybe they'll keep Hastings and promote him?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If they can get Lamb they take him 100%. He is a gun.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad that Pearce opted to move to a club that genuinely needed some new talent. His leadership on fieldcould be the difference for them to win those close games they have tended to lose over the last few seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they jump into finals contention.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think he is good enough to bring them up.

He'll be regretting this decision in 12 months time.

Pearce is a good half but he isn't a half that carries the team. He should've joined Cronulla.

Status
Not open for further replies.