Coach Des Hasler to sue Bulldogs for contract breach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think its unfair to say Dib fucked up before everything has concluded as everyone in here has NFI of the details of the documents that were handled and signed... we can google HoA contracts all we want, but there are clauses thrown into contracts and conversations that take place that no one here knows about..
If Des gets a pay out it wouldnt be Dib fucking up NOW. It was inevitable Des had to go, and it was inevitable he would seek a payout. The fuck up was in April when they extended Des to begin with. On the back of 1 win in 8 starts. At the time it was dumbfounding. Now its a matter of damage control. How much can we get away with not paying. And that will be up to the lawyers now, not Dib.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends how far it got. If they only signed a Heads of Agreement then there's not much to worry about. Here's an explanation of what a Heads of Agreement is:

"A Heads of Agreement is a good document to start with when you are planning to or are interested in entering into an agreement with another entity in the near future. Although non-legally binding, it is useful for keeping a record of what was discussed during the negotiation state, and what is to be included in the proposed agreement. If the proposed agreement has a signed paper record, you are able to ensure that the execution of a legally enforceable document is smooth and minimises any potential conflict."

https://lawpath.com.au/legal-documents/heads-of-agreement

All Hasler could do is to argue that he was given a verbal and/or written agreement which prevented him from getting another contract with another club but he'd have to provide evidence that he was given an actual offer by another club. He still wouldn't be able to get $2 million though. At best we'd have to pay him for time lost which would be a maximum of 1 year pay on the offer he received but no more than the final year of his previous contract.

Basically put, there's a chance we may have to pay him $1 million but in all likelihood we won't pay him a cent.

There are some exceptions though. A Heads of Agreement can be binding if the wording wasn't done properly. For example; if the Heads of Agreement states that the contract will automatically accepted if not finalised at the end of the agreement period then it becomes legally binding. This also works if there is a guarantee in there that states something like, "this agreement will be honoured unless terminated by both parties" (otherwise known as due diligence)

But honestly there is very, very little chance that a legal team would be stupid enough to put that in there. Those mistakes you see in small business sales when a sole proprietor wants to sell the business and just signs the Heads of Agreement without legal representation. Not something a major club would do.
I see, so the exceptions seem highly unlikely and assuming this to be the case it sounds like Des has no chance whatsoever. Only job he missed out on was the Dragons and given they re-signed McGregor for 2 years when the Des deal was announced safe to say no written offer would have been forthcoming.

Think Des will be getting a new manager soon after this f##k up. Maybe it's been the done thing in the NRL, if so it won't be any more. Safe to say we would never have been with a shot to sign Cronk as a result of all this irrespective of the cap.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like others have stated, at least that fucking leech hasler has gone. The club stood to lose something a hell of a lot more important then a few mil $. Us fans!!!
Regardless of the outcome, the club did right by its fans. I know some people like @Zee are a little pissed at the club and think they dogged him, and even suggest we will struggle to find coaches or players that will trust the club. But hey, we signed Dean Pay easy enough.
fuck it, hasler is gone and this is the most important thing. The fans would have deserted the club after 2 more years and many more tears, of desball.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It should never have come to this. At the end of our grossly underwhelming 2016 season it was very simple - WE held all the cards and HE should have been made to perform for the final year of his Contract or piss off and find another club. Instead we fawn over him like he's worth resigning. Like I said before - the worst business decision our club has EVER made. And there's no denying the guy who made it should either pay with his pocket or job. If you or I made a call like that in our businesses what would happen ?!?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Like others have stated, at least that fucking leech hasler has gone. The club stood to lose something a hell of a lot more important then a few mil $. Us fans!!!
Regardless of the outcome, the club did right by its fans. I know some people like @Zee are a little pissed at the club and think they dogged him, and even suggest we will struggle to find coaches or players that will trust the club. But hey, we signed Dean Pay easy enough.
fuck it, hasler is gone and this is the most important thing. The fans would have deserted the club after 2 more years and many more tears, of desball.

what goes round comes around.

I hate des but I don't want him to be ripped off his money he was LEGALLY entitled to.

our club fucked up signing him up for 2 more years. I am super glad he is gone but the club has to pay what was agreed to in the contract. If the contract says that we don't pay him a cent or something like not making the top 8 would get him the boot then by all means club shouldn't pay him.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It should never have come to this. At the end of our grossly underwhelming 2016 season it was very simple - WE held all the cards and HE should have been made to perform for the final year of his Contract or piss off and find another club. Instead we fawn over him like he's worth resigning. Like I said before - the worst business decision our club has EVER made. And there's no denying the guy who made it should either pay with his pocket or job. If you or I made a call like that in our businesses what would happen ?!?

super post!

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just fuck right off dessy you nasal trombone playing clown

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounded too good to be true and I reckon Des will win.

I'm sure before he signed he got a full legal team to go over any cracks with a fine tooth comb and there is no way the club can sack a guy who signed a new contract without repercussions.

Just give him a million and tell him to fuck off and while we are at it - lets tell Dib to fuck off too.
Des would have been too tight for a whole legal team. Perhaps a mate who works at legal aid?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
$2 mil is toilet paper money for our club. Who cares. Let's bleed him out all the way.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
what goes round comes around.

I hate des but I don't want him to be ripped off his money he was LEGALLY entitled to.

our club fucked up signing him up for 2 more years. I am super glad he is gone but the club has to pay what was agreed to in the contract. If the contract says that we don't pay him a cent or something like not making the top 8 would get him the boot then by all means club shouldn't pay him.
Didnt mean to single you out mate, just making a point.
I like to think i have a very strong moral compass, but sometimes things are not just black and white, and sometimes people dont deserve to be treated fairly. Des fucked us over with the salary cap, coached the most boring brand of football anyone has ever seen, fucked our junior nursery and got rid of players we perhaps should have kept and re-signed dead wood on massive coin like eastwood, and constantly picked the same team when we so obviously needed a change.
You say what goes around comes around, and i 100% believe in the ramifications of karma, but in my opinion des is now getting his just deserts. We are evening the ledger, not putting ourselves in karmas debt.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
super post!
Lol it is.
I agree with you, hate the guy for ruining our club but Dib needs also needs to pay for his mistakes .

The chicken will always come home to roost.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Think about this one for a moment.

A contract extension is an extension of an existing contract.

If that existing contract is terminated due to not fulfilling the KPIs/requirements of that contract, then there is no longer a contract to be extended.

I bet the club play that angle.

If his extension didn't kick in till 2018, and they terminated his current contract due to poor performance and failing to meet obligations of that contract, then he has no leg to stand on, as he has no contact to extend.

Our club might be dumb for employing Castle, but our lawyers are smarter than the phantom whistler.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
$2 mil is toilet paper money for our club. Who cares. Let's bleed him out all the way.
yeah, pay him in all silver coins. maye just 5 and 10 cent coins only.

Reactions: DT

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Not many people would agree with how dib handled alot of shit over the last few years inc me, but in my eyes he's redeemed himself by doin a des on des. If dib was to be replaced I'd be happy either way.
Des doesn't deserve a penny for what he's done to our club and what he did to manly.

Shit arrogant human being regardless of the outcome.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand dib made a mistake by agreeing to have dessie re-resigned but I reckon he's made up for it by making a quick and a positive affective change to the club which many clubs can't do in a short period of time like he and the board did. I reckon let's move on with this crap and whatever happens, happens in regards to dessie. Bring 2018!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Fuck I hate this ****

Status
Not open for further replies.