Golf R

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Might pay to check out relative servicing/running costs as well.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get yourself a horse and cart. The Amish have it right. Great on fuel economy in many ways including the reduced price of mowing the lawn. With a horse and cart you also have the upside that you won't be required to pay registration costs every year.
I wonder what it costs to run a horse these days ?
What’s a service on a horse cost ?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hey bro been looking into getting a my16 sti was keen as fuck until I read about the ring failure problem on the EJ25 motor apparently that problem exist with the FA20 also.

Wanna ask what's your take on this are you aware of this? Or is it just inflated online?
The Fa20 is a great motor, especially if you want to do upgrades. Have seen some crazy power out of the std blocks in the US.
I have had mine for 2years now and no issues. Im on a couple of My15+ forums and havnt heard anyone have any ring issues at all with either the Fa20 or EJ25.
The sti is a great car aand they look good too pending colour choice. If you had your eyes on one then go for it bro. Guarantee you will love it

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Really am considering the wrx i do love em. But ive got a suby now and wanted a bit of change but then again nothings set in stone. The audi S3 is another im seriously considering. Might take a few for a test run
If you're into the new shape Wrx and want to do mods then stay away from CVT auto. You can't do anything with those transmissions. Get the manual. Great cars to drive

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Get yourself a horse and cart. The Amish have it right. Great on fuel economy in many ways including the reduced price of mowing the lawn. With a horse and cart you also have the upside that you won't be required to pay registration costs every year.
Had one ... flogged it hard.

Problem was it died on the way from Sydney to Brisbane on holidays and the NRMA couldn't get it started again.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Problem was it died on the way from Sydney to Brisbane on holidays and the NRMA couldn't get it started again.
Probably just the immobiliser ? Did you check the batteries in the reins ?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

They tend to use a lot of water. On short trips this isn't as noticeable because they fill themselves up. But on long trips you have to take care to refill them quite often or you run into issues. Another issue with them is that if the horse goes, they don't do well with spare parts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I eventually found the problem.. turns out that horses do not drink premium unleaded.. it kills them.

Oh well, lucky I have my car as a back up.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I eventually found the problem.. turns out that horses do not drink premium unleaded.. it kills them.

Oh well, lucky I have my car as a back up.
Yeah the octane content is probably a little high. You should have opted for E10.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Fa20 is a great motor, especially if you want to do upgrades. Have seen some crazy power out of the std blocks in the US.
I have had mine for 2years now and no issues. Im on a couple of My15+ forums and havnt heard anyone have any ring issues at all with either the Fa20 or EJ25.
The sti is a great car aand they look good too pending colour choice. If you had your eyes on one then go for it bro. Guarantee you will love it

Yeah not planning on doing any upgrades besides exhaust don't really wanna mess with the ECU but on the other hand I've heard The Factory Tune is Junk, I'm just worried about the ringland-failure not planing on driving it hard
just want it as a daily driver man, good to hear that you haven't had any problems with your Rex.

Quick question do you think the ringland failure is enough reason not to buy a sti?
I mean I know you brought a Rex but is the ringland problem overhyped like I mean if it was a big problem shouldn't Subaru have recalled them back?

Btw I love the WR color blue on the Sti or the ice silver or perl White.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah not planning on doing any upgrades besides exhaust don't really wanna mess with the ECU but on the other hand I've heard The Factory Tune is Junk, I'm just worried about the ringland-failure not planing on driving it hard
just want it as a daily driver man, good to hear that you haven't had any problems with your Rex.

Quick question do you think the ringland failure is enough reason not to buy a sti?
I mean I know you brought a Rex but is the ringland problem overhyped like I mean if it was a big problem shouldn't Subaru have recalled them back?

Bro, there are thousands of tuned rexies out there. Some are bound to do rings, but I don’t think it’s as big a problem as you think.
They’re pretty strong engines.
If you wanna tune it. tune it. It’s more important that you take care of it, keep it serviced, use good oil and good fuel and possibly add an aftermarket oil cooler.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro, there are thousands of tuned rexies out there. Some are bound to do rings, but I don’t think it’s as big a problem as you think.
They’re pretty strong engines.
If you wanna tune it. tune it. It’s more important that you take care of it, keep it serviced, use good oil and good fuel and possibly add an aftermarket oil cooler.
I want a stock sti as a daily and the occasional spirited driving here and there that's all, and thanks for the info I've been reading on this issue for a while and it's refreshing to hear it's a inflated problem, I mean every article online about ringland failure is negative,
I came across this comment weeks ago and it hasn't left my mind

How many posts have you seen created by people with happily functioning STI engines? Exactly, you haven't. Because the thousands of us who exist out there don't post about our happily functioning STI engine. We would break the internet if we did.
Let that soak in for a bit.

Haha maybe I'm thinking to much.

Heard oil change is every 4,000 5,000kms
And check oil every fuel fill up is this true?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

If all you are going to do is a catback exhaust then you will have no issues whatsoever. The ringland problem is very inflated. With a tune you will get better acceleration and actually save fuel.

As i mentioned before. Mines a daily driver ane no issues whatsoever. So go for it. You wont be dissapointed. I bough the Hyperblue colour. Fkn love it. Also has RCE springs riding on 20s..

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
who has one? What problems do they have? Would you recommend?
Are they fun? What are the alternatives under 40k.
Depends what you want from the car.. Golf R is very much the "everyday refined hot hatch". Few mods and they can be very fast.

Cars like the Focus RS and Megane are more in the "I want to kill you so hang on" category.

Then you have the mental hatches like the A45 AMG, but they are outside your price range.

There are two you've missed that are bloody quick.

1. Audi S3 (WELL worth a look and very underrated imho). 5 second 0-100kph from a 2L turbocharged FWD "sports hatch". They are a bit of a cross between a wagon and a hatchback though. In your price range though but they go bloody hard. S1 is it's baby brother and not quite as fast (but smaller).

2. BMW M135i (again underrated). Those things absolutely fly. I *might* be wrong but I think @tonee on here has an M135i.. or it might be its big brother the 335i.

Then you have cars like the EVO and WRX which are crowd favourites, although I much dislike look of the WRX hatch. New ones look awesome though.
Funny you mentioned Golf R.. Just sold one MK7 last week.

Sold my 335i a while ago now to some pharmacist in WA. Ironically, it went back to where I originally bought it from. The car was completely worked spent a lot of $$ on her. Car as retuned, mapped, running E85 and so much more other shit.

Ended up getting a 2015 Golf R MK7, my god this car was probably one of the funnest cars to date. Agile, quick, all wheel drive.

Now I just picked up a 2016 BMW X5 with all options, M-sport package, HUD, Lane assist, Panaramic roof, BMW app connect so much more.

Picked up an under priced reason for the SUV got a baby boy coming soon, he's actually due in 3 weeks :grinning:

Will change the front grills to the X5M grills in gloss black. Probably the only thing I will do.

Waiting for delivery from Melbourne should be in Sydney by Tuesday

You won't be disappointed with the Golf R, I think VW have a finance special going on at the moment but not sure if that includes the R's. The only down side to the Golf is the interior feels like its cheaply made, compare to the BMW or even the Audi S3, which I also sold about 4 weeks ago.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats @tonee on the upcoming arrival of your baby boy :grinning:

If you're looking for a place to service and / or modify your BMW/VW, have a chat to Ozzy/Oscar from Hills Eurohaus.

Not only a great bunch of blokes, but they really know their stuff.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I want a stock sti as a daily and the occasional spirited driving here and there that's all, and thanks for the info I've been reading on this issue for a while and it's refreshing to hear it's a inflated problem, I mean every article online about ringland failure is negative,
I came across this comment weeks ago and it hasn't left my mind

How many posts have you seen created by people with happily functioning STI engines? Exactly, you haven't. Because the thousands of us who exist out there don't post about our happily functioning STI engine. We would break the internet if we did.
Let that soak in for a bit.

Haha maybe I'm thinking to much.

Heard oil change is every 4,000 5,000kms
And check oil every fuel fill up is this true?
Oil every 5k is good practice for a turbocharged car.
Think of it as cheap insurance.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Congrats @tonee on the upcoming arrival of your baby boy :grinning:

If you're looking for a place to service and / or modify your BMW/VW, have a chat to Ozzy/Oscar from Hills Eurohaus.

Not only a great bunch of blokes, but they really know their stuff.
Yeh I know those guys, but I take my euro cars to BMR Autowerkes, Auburn. They're just as good :grinning:

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro that 335i is sexy as fuck... you've got very fine automotive taste. Good job
tell me bro if you had the choice between an S3 or an R which way would you go?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro that 335i is sexy as fuck... you've got very fine automotive taste. Good job
tell me bro if you had the choice between an S3 or an R which way would you go?
I’d get an S3, it’s the same car in terms of the drive train for around the same price

Both owed by VW, ones just a hatch and ones just a sedan but the S3 is much nicer on the inside and looks way better. The new RS3 is so damn nice too, good price for what it offers too!

Here’s my Beamer project car, waiting to drop a ls1 in it to finish it off.