Josh Reynolds on his first day at Wests Tigers, Luke Brooks and bringing the passion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Sunday Telegraph
November 11, 2017 6:00pm
Subscriber only

JOSH Reynolds feared his new Wests Tigers hated him considering his role as chief antagonist at the Bulldogs.

Sitting as he overlooked his new base at Concord Oval, Reynolds has quashed his first fears.

“They probably hated me before this, let’s face it,” Reynolds said of his new teammates. “Respect is earnt. I’m not coming here thinking this guy should like or respect me. I’m here and I’m going to train here and try and get a friendship with not only the players but everyone else at the club.”

After completing his first few days as a Tiger, Reynolds has spoken out about his turbulent 2017 season, his hopes of forming a lethal combination with Luke Brooks and how he plans to bring the same passion which was his trademark at the Bulldogs.

BENJI: ‘I cried, not going to lie’

Reynolds admitted he wasn’t sure what reception he’d get. Photo: Sam Ruttyn
FIRST DAY
It had barely been 48 hours since Reynolds returned from his US holiday when he found himself at this new club.

“I was so nervous coming in,” Reynolds said. “It didn’t hit me until I was about 15 minutes away from the ground. You want everyone to like you.

“Honestly. The footy part will take care of itself. We have a whole off-season to work on it. I’ve been playing for a while now. That isn’t daunting. But you want to create new friendships.

“When I got my first bit of gear it was a little bit weird. It wasn’t blue and white. I don’t go home and say ‘I can’t believe I’m in this’. I’m going to take it with both hands. I know I grew up in Belmore but I want to create the same concept here.

“I’m doing what I love which is playing rugby league — it’s just for a different club. It doesn’t mean I’m going to be any less passionate about who I play for.”

The former Bulldog is enjoying a new start. Photo: Sam Ruttyn
WHY THE TIGERS?
The easy decision for Reynolds would have been to sign with Cronulla. He lives in the Sutherland Shire and the Sharks were coming off the back of their first premiership and will again challenge for the title next year.

The Tigers have not played finals football since 2011.

“The one thing that got me over the line to come here was my talk with Ivan (Cleary) and he told me that ‘I just need you to be Josh Reynolds’,” Reynolds said. “That made me feel really good. He knows what I’m about.

“If I went to Cronulla with so many good players around you I would have just been comfortable doing my role.

“I feel at the Tigers, the team comes first. No one is better than anyone, it doesn’t matter if you’ve played 30 Origins or you’re debuting. That’s a great culture and message to get across to the boys. Everyone takes leadership and ownership, that’s the best way to be.”

Reynolds wants to help Brooks’ development. (AAP Image/Daniel Munoz)
PARTNERSHIP WITH BROOKS
His combination with Brooks looms as a vital cog for any success the Tigers will have. The duo will battle it out with veteran Benji Marshall for starting spots.

“Talent wise, he is that much more talented than me,” Reynolds said. “He just needs to know he has got that. He can take his game to another level. I had a chat to him when I just signed, ‘It’s about you taking control of the team. that’s not my best asset. I will go off you’.

“I want to be the bloke to make sure he never doubts himself. When you’re a bit younger you’re always going to doubt yourself and it allows me to hopefully being here and being a good influence on him it can bring the best out in him. He is a big factor in how we go. If he is firing he is massive for the team.”

Benji opens up on Tigers return
LAST SEASON AT THE BULLDOGS
Reynolds described his final season at the Bulldogs as “draining’’. Injuries and constant speculation surrounding his future and that of his coach and teammates became a distraction.

“You just want to get in and play footy with your mates and have a good time,” Reynolds said. “It did take its toll, not being a sob story or whatever. It was definitely something I can learn from too. There is always going to be stuff going on from the outside and you’ve got to learn to block it out.

“The more that happens, the more you build up a wall to block that stuff out. For me, the best thing is this is totally different. A fresh start, a clean slate.”

Reynolds will have mixed emotions when he faces his former club. (Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
PREPARING TO PLAY CANTERBURY
He will have to wait until round 12 to face his former club, nominating Josh Morris as his No.1 sledging target.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t having a little think about that game,” Reynolds said. “It’s going to be interesting and fun.

“While it’s going to be hard I’ll make sure it’s fun because in 20 years, when we have a beer done the track, we’ll have a laugh about how I did something crazy or outrageous in the game. It will be fun, I’ll do my best to keep the niggle to an all-time low.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I cri evrytiem

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sees this?

Fake smile:

Real smile:

Definitely a fake smile.

JR and Kas for that matter will never smile like they did when they were playing at belmore with their mates .
In fact I haven't seen Kas smile much at all since pritchard was pushed out

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Definitely a fake smile.

JR and Kas for that matter will never smile like they did when they were playing at belmore with their mates .
In fact I haven't seen Kas smile much at all since pritchard was pushed out
I saw JR a few weeks ago in Roselands and spoke to him. I said how he'll be wearing the Tigers jersey next year but his heart is with the blue and white - and also that no fans hold it against him that he signed with them as he was pushed out.

I reckon he's going to miss the fans the most.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw JR a few weeks ago in Roselands and spoke to him. I said how he'll be wearing the Tigers jersey next year but his heart is with the blue and white - and also that no fans hold it against him that he signed with them as he was pushed out.

I reckon he's going to miss the fans the most.
He was pushed out? He said that?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh is a West Tigers now.
It will not be long before he will be saying he bleeds, orange, black & white. Or whatever their fucking colours are???
He owes it to west tigers fans to stop talking about Canterbury.

If he plays for WT like he did for us last season, I will be more than satisfied.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
His combination with Brooks looms as a vital cog for any success the Tigers will have. The duo will battle it out with veteran Benji Marshall for starting spots.

“Talent wise, he is that much more talented than me,” Reynolds said. “He just needs to know he has got that. He can take his game to another level. I had a chat to him when I just signed, ‘It’s about you taking control of the team. that’s not my best asset. I will go off you’.

“I want to be the bloke to make sure he never doubts himself. When you’re a bit younger you’re always going to doubt yourself and it allows me to hopefully being here and being a good influence on him it can bring the best out in him. He is a big factor in how we go. If he is firing he is massive for the team.”
Already taking the back seat. Didn't Cleary say part of the reason they signed him for experience/leadership?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to miss his enthusiasm. I think that Cleary was right to sign him. The Tigers haven't had a player there for a while who refused to acknowledge that they've lost and with Reynolds they'll get that player that will keep giving his all when the game is all but lost. The tigers when at their best play with flair rather than a grinding game and i think that will work in Reynolds favor. It makes me a little sad to know that we have fans here who couldn't at least respect his ultra competitive nature.

He'll always be a Bulldog to me.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes a change from the usual yearly article about how he's going to be a leader and mature this coming season.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Reynolds is a gun. He has had no real proper coaching or mentorship throughout his whole first grade career and has played state of origin....he has won us more games than I can count. Ask Teerry Lamb what Reynolds meant to the club.

Those of you who undervalue him are foolish tbh....and your constant slagging off will only make you look stupider when he improves and develops consistency to match the spark he can provide.

So shortsighted! Letting him go was dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.