Golf R

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
who has one? What problems do they have? Would you recommend?
Are they fun? What are the alternatives under 40k.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I dont own one myself, but i did check them out when i was in the market. Everything about them has been all good, they are quick, nice to drive, make great power with a few mods. Only reason i didnt buy it was because of the shape. To me it just looks like another ordinary hatch.
I ended up buying MY16 Wrx, looks good, beautiful to drive, lots of upgrades available. Had it now for 2yrs and still love it.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My mate owns one. It’s a bit of a beast.
I’ve got a 370z and he can hang with me, on a nasho run, no worries.
Other options;
Renault megane.
WRX.
Focus RS.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best new car under 40k would be a wrx.

Personally i would get the premium model for a little extra. But upto you

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't the Focus RS 60k?
The Focus ST is Sub 40k.

I Really want a GTI, the R for me is too much, 52k for a hatch isn't going to fly with the misses, i may be able to convince her on a 2nd hand GTI though

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The new Focus RS is a bucket of shit. The quality control is terrible.

This is coming from a euro ford fanatic btw.

The golf is abit iffy for me if you're going the DSG route. Manual will be safe though.

If it's up to me, I'll go an older WRX

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Depends what you want from the car.. Golf R is very much the "everyday refined hot hatch". Few mods and they can be very fast.

Cars like the Focus RS and Megane are more in the "I want to kill you so hang on" category.

Then you have the mental hatches like the A45 AMG, but they are outside your price range.

There are two you've missed that are bloody quick.

1. Audi S3 (WELL worth a look and very underrated imho). 5 second 0-100kph from a 2L turbocharged FWD "sports hatch". They are a bit of a cross between a wagon and a hatchback though. In your price range though but they go bloody hard. S1 is it's baby brother and not quite as fast (but smaller).

2. BMW M135i (again underrated). Those things absolutely fly. I *might* be wrong but I think @tonee on here has an M135i.. or it might be its big brother the 335i.

Then you have cars like the EVO and WRX which are crowd favourites, although I much dislike look of the WRX hatch. New ones look awesome though.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If you want a beast under 40K you can get a 300 SRT8. Roughly 2013-2014 model with under 50k on the clock and 350kw under the bonnet.

Blows away rexies, AMG C63 and E63, HSV and FPV.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Isn't the Focus RS 60k?
The Focus ST is Sub 40k.

I Really want a GTI, the R for me is too much, 52k for a hatch isn't going to fly with the misses, i may be able to convince her on a 2nd hand GTI though
You can get them for 50k.
It’s the only hot hatch I’ve ever driven that drives properly, you wouldn’t think it’s all wheel drive. (Although I’d imagine the bimmer would handle similarly considering its rear drive)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you want a beast under 40K you can get a 300 SRT8. Roughly 2013-2014 model with under 50k on the clock and 350kw under the bonnet.

Blows away rexies, AMG C63 and E63, HSV and FPV.
Until you reach a corner. SRT8 is great in a straight line but simply terrible when it comes to the twisty stuff.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Until you reach a corner. SRT8 is great in a straight line but simply terrible when it comes to the twisty stuff.
Maybe the pre 2012 ones. Plus you can always just press the track button.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I dont own one myself, but i did check them out when i was in the market. Everything about them has been all good, they are quick, nice to drive, make great power with a few mods. Only reason i didnt buy it was because of the shape. To me it just looks like another ordinary hatch.
I ended up buying MY16 Wrx, looks good, beautiful to drive, lots of upgrades available. Had it now for 2yrs and still love it.
Really am considering the wrx i do love em. But ive got a suby now and wanted a bit of change but then again nothings set in stone. The audi S3 is another im seriously considering. Might take a few for a test run

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really am considering the wrx i do love em. But ive got a suby now and wanted a bit of change but then again nothings set in stone. The audi S3 is another im seriously considering. Might take a few for a test run
I’ve never really understood the rexxie love.
I mean, sure they’ve got grip, but only when you’re on the throttle and if you push it too hard it’ll understeer like a corolla.
So basically, they’re fast-ish cars that don’t turn in any better than other similar cars, allow you to pick up the throttle a little earlier, but if you’re too aggressive, it’ll handle like a Yaris.
Front engine, rear drive on a blast through the nasho, is heaven for anyone who loves driving.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
These little hatches are fun to drive. I agree that the s3 is pretty cool (have ridden in one, but never driven one). I almost bought one myself a few years ago when I bought my last car (was also looking at the Toyota 86), but unfortunately, as it often does, practicality of a dog and wanting luggage space won, so I bought an i30 wagon lol.

It's a shame that its hard to get hold of sporty small/mid size wagons in Oz. Hatches are just too damn small for me :(

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bro been looking into getting a my16 sti was keen as fuck until I read about the ring failure problem on the EJ25 motor apparently that problem exist with the FA20 also.

Wanna ask what's your take on this are you aware of this? Or is it just inflated online?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get yourself a horse and cart. The Amish have it right. Great on fuel economy in many ways including the reduced price of mowing the lawn. With a horse and cart you also have the upside that you won't be required to pay registration costs every year.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Get yourself a horse and cart. The Amish have it right. Great on fuel economy in many ways including the reduced price of mowing the lawn. With a horse and cart you also have the upside that you won't be required to pay registration costs every year.
Pfft, only 1 horsepower, 2 if you splurge a bit lol