BULLDOGS WILL MISS THE 8 in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm confident we're top 8 in 2018, but not top 4.
Confident?

I'm hoping for a big improvement but there are a lot of unknowns with our team as new coach, new half combination and a new fullback apparently.

The way I see things right now is:-

Roosters
Melbourne
Cowboys
Brisbane

Are the four strongest teams starting next season.
Then followed by

Cronulla
Parramatta
Penrith
Canberra.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Confident?

I'm hoping for a big improvement but there are a lot of unknowns with our team as new coach, new half combination and a new fullback apparently.

The way I see things right now is:-

Roosters
Melbourne
Cowboys
Brisbane

Are the four strongest teams starting next season.
Then followed by

Cronulla
Parramatta
Penrith
Canberra.
For mine the Roosters Cowboys Melbourne & Brisbane are certain finalists
Cronulla with Dugan & Moylan on board are just about assured in my view.
That leaves 8 teams battling it out for 3 spots.
I think Newcastle Tigers & Titans are no hope of making the 8.
I’m still waiting on Canterbury to announce more player movement. If their squad remains as it is, they won’t play finals footy IMO

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m still waiting on Canterbury to announce more player movement. If their squad remains as it is, they won’t play finals footy IMO
I don't agree with you about the Broncos being certainties.
They have lost Ben Hunt, Benji Marshall, Adam Blair, Herman Ese' Ese and have signed Jack Bird.
Losing a lot of fire power up front as well as two halves is not going to be easy to replace.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not trolling here but if you guys get into the 8 next year youll be over achieving.
Foran will have a decent few first games but then it will be poor form, injury and emotional and discipline dramas.
He was poor this year and hes not the player he was before his breakdowns and overdose and the rest.
You will miss the energy of Reynolds, he was the bloke who kept you in a lot of games.
Its rebuilding now for you guys, every club has to do it at times, i think youll struggle to get out of the bottom 4 after getting a few good wins early on.
It wont be all doom and gloom next year but im predicting you wont have the consistency to make the 8 or anywhere near it.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can promise you we will be making the 8, so you can make that 5 certainties :grinning:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree with you about the Broncos being certainties.
They have lost Ben Hunt, Benji Marshall, Adam Blair, Herman Ese' Ese and have signed Jack Bird.
Losing a lot of fire power up front as well as two halves is not going to be easy to replace.
I also think Sharks have a big question mark in 2018. Maloney as a game manager is a huge loss and don't think Townsend has much more improvement left in him and may be found wanting. Might be different story if they sign Pearce but right now they are no certainties. Both their young Hooker and Moylan for his strike power will be the key.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can promise you we will be making the 8, so you can make that 5 certainties :grinning:
What is your confidence based on, apart from being a one eyed Dogs supporter?
You’ve lost Graham, Kasiano & Reynolds. Three decent players. Woods and Foran ain’t world beaters, handy yes, but it’s not a huge improvement. The Dogs won’t be in my 8 unless they can improve on their current roster.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think Sharks have a big question mark in 2018. Maloney as a game manager is a huge loss and don't think Townsend has much more improvement left in him and may be found wanting. Might be different story if they sign Pearce but right now they are no certainties. Both their young Hooker and Moylan for his strike power will be the key.
Don’t agree with your assessment of Maloney. He had an average 2017 at club level. Moylan IMO is a better player than a 31 year old Maloney.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
You’ve lost Graham, Kasiano & Reynolds. Three decent players. Woods and Foran ain’t world beaters, handy yes, but it’s not a huge improvement. The Dogs won’t be in my 8 unless they can improve on their current roster.
Serpent is an Eels supporter not a Doggies mate.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not trolling here but if you guys get into the 8 next year youll be over achieving.
Foran will have a decent few first games but then it will be poor form, injury and emotional and discipline dramas.
He was poor this year and hes not the player he was before his breakdowns and overdose and the rest.
You will miss the energy of Reynolds, he was the bloke who kept you in a lot of games.
Its rebuilding now for you guys, every club has to do it at times, i think youll struggle to get out of the bottom 4 after getting a few good wins early on.
It wont be all doom and gloom next year but im predicting you wont have the consistency to make the 8 or anywhere near it.
I think you will be eating humble pie mate!
What you are forgetting, we won't be playing Desball anymore. Our halves will be kicking on the last instead of dying with the ball.
Our hooker will be running with the ball instead of just tackling and we will try and win games by attacking instead of defending our way cause the Des stats showed that way.......
We will show aggression again cause Dean Pay won't be listenIng to our assylum seeker fan of a CEO who is no longer here and who was telling everyone that "Premierships are not important". The culture has changed mate and just cause you can't stand Foran cause he walked out on your club, doesn't mean he won't be excellent for us. Foran knows that if he doesn't deliver now (after changing so many clubs) that he will finish up like T-Rex.....on the scrap heap!!

We got rid of that cancer Des and things are on the up for us now!!

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't think we can guess how the team will go by just looking at the new players who are coming into the team from other clubs, in some ways players that we already have may come across as totally different players once they play under a gameplan or new position that better suits their strengths (e.g Lichaa, Mbye). I'm almost more excited to see what the boys that we already have can do after this breath of fresh air rather than the newer high profile players

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder how Cronulla can afford Peace's $800k price tag?
They just signed Moylan for $900k a season.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t agree with your assessment of Maloney. He had an average 2017 at club level. Moylan IMO is a better player than a 31 year old Maloney.
Considering I mentioned game management, guess we agree that we disagree.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think you may find he's talking about the Eels.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
And Dugan for 1 mill.

I believe I read the Sharks have a specific formula for how they spread their cap.

Cant remember the numbers but is something like 40% spine 30% forwards 30% backs

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They've outsourced their salary cap management to the Roosters which means they benefit from the Rooster's cap dodging expertise and also share their untouchable status they hold with the NRL.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im an eels fan :grinning:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
And Dugan for 1 mill.

I believe I read the Sharks have a specific formula for how they spread their cap.

Cant remember the numbers but is something like 40% spine 30% forwards 30% backs
It would be interesting if the rugby league journalists would ask more questions around the salary cap.

But there is a conspiracy of silence!

If someone with good knowledge went through every team and allocated a "market price" to every player I am sure there would be massive & unexplainable discrepancies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.