Jersey sponsorship from Ladbrokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
"I was a gambling addict. I had been for most of my career. I've never bet on rugby league but I've bet big money on horses and greyhounds," he said.

"From my second or third year of first grade, I knew that my gambling was out of control. Something had to give."

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/foran-opens-up-about-gambling-addiction
Well done. Haven't seen that before. Still, if we are worried about his jersey should we put a wheat bag over his head all week so he doesn't see anything that might tempt him and then only let him into the light on game day?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well done. Haven't seen that before. Still, if we are worried about his jersey should we put a wheat bag over his head all week so he doesn't see anything that might tempt him and then only let him into the light on game day?
Works for me

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Of all the fucked things this club has done in recent times, this is the most fucked yet.

Nothing like being "the family club" by advertising gambling. I am disgusted

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Of all the fucked things this club has done in recent times, this is the most fucked yet.

Nothing like being "the family club" by advertising gambling. I am disgusted
Can't say i'm a fan. But As much as I dislike the intrusion and normalisation of gambling into what seems like ever aspect of footy (And even life), the gambling "horse" kind of bolted years ago.

Most Clubs are severely dependent on pokies, a far more damaging evil on society than sports punting ever will be.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pokies are one thing. But the heart of this game is attracting young fans and ensuring they love the game. When I am scared to watch a televised game with my 6 year old because he comments on the gambling ads and tells me the odds we have gone to far, and now my club is putting this crap on their jerseys. No thank you

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pokies are one thing. But the heart of this game is attracting young fans and ensuring they love the game. When I am scared to watch a televised game with my 6 year old because he comments on the gambling ads and tells me the odds we have gone to far, and now my club is putting this crap on their jerseys. No thank you
Every moment is a teaching moment. What better way to make him realise that gambling can be a problem than talk about it with him. I always remember my old man who was a drinker telling me over 50 years ago that smokes were his biggest problem and would kill him.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Every moment is a teaching moment. What better way to make him realise that gambling can be a problem than talk about it with him. I always remember my old man who was a drinker telling me over 50 years ago that smokes were his biggest problem and would kill him.
Point noted, but, it is portrayed everywhere as a "fun" thing, and really it is so devastating.

I sincerely thought as a club we were far better than this that's all

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Understand what you're saying. A few of us are from the vintage where the only betting on league was the old "footy tab". At least in NSW pokies are kept largely away from kids (not the same in qld unfortunately), but sports betting is advertised everywhere, including during the actual coverage, as if it's part of the game. That is something I think is wrong tbh.

slobbythegreat

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just saw that we have Ladbrokes on the back and came straight here. I'm really disappointed that we allowed ourselves to be associated with a gambling company. Whilst I understand the business side and the money it's quite a disappointment that we would have to stoop to gambling.. I hate how it has taken over rugby league.. We can't have alcohol or cigarette sponsoring but can have gaming.. It ruins just as many peoples lives as alcohol and cigarettes. I won't be buying a jersey for the next 3 years. I do applaud the fact they left it off the kids jersey though

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its sponsorship, with all the betting agencies getting involved in recent years it hasn't made me go out and bet on everything.
As if its going to make children cry, harden up, you can't have everything Policed.

slobbythegreat

Waterboy
Reaction score
Its sponsorship, with all the betting agencies getting involved in recent years it hasn't made me go out and bet on everything.
As if its going to make children cry, harden up, you can't have everything Policed.
At what point did anyone mention children crying? You missed the point.. Alcohol and cigarettes are banned from most sports advertising and they brought that in because of health issues yet they allow betting advertising which damages just asany people. Look at the difference in types of sponsorship in the BBL... Watch a game and tell me what you see..you might harden up and realise the impact of advertising. Maybe even pay attention to your phone and see how what you look at online then floods your browser. Thr NRL doesn't need betting agencies for sponsorship.. The nrl has a bad enough image as it as and this makes it worse. And it drags us in it as a team and it's disgraceful given the lengths we've gone to to improve our image

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seriously.

People complaining that a betting agency is sponsoring your team, you would be bitching & moaning if there wasn't any sponsorship.

At least the betting agency is putting some of the money back into the community.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t mind the sponsorship. Two businesses helping each other out. Kids should be taught to think for themselves.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
At what point did anyone mention children crying? You missed the point.. Alcohol and cigarettes are banned from most sports advertising and they brought that in because of health issues yet they allow betting advertising which damages just asany people. Look at the difference in types of sponsorship in the BBL... Watch a game and tell me what you see..you might harden up and realise the impact of advertising. Maybe even pay attention to your phone and see how what you look at online then floods your browser. Thr NRL doesn't need betting agencies for sponsorship.. The nrl has a bad enough image as it as and this makes it worse. And it drags us in it as a team and it's disgraceful given the lengths we've gone to to improve our image
There's a big difference between something that directly leads to your death and making a decision to engage in an activity that if abused will impact on you. Hell, perhaps, given cars are such a danger to people with nearly 400 killed by them in NSW alone last year we should knock back KIA as well. The cost of MVA's is 100 times that of problem gambling. Oh wait, Opal solar sells panels made by slaves in Asia, millions dying there - what the hell were we thinking? Perhaps we could get the Catholic church to sponsor us - oh maybe not with kids involved eh? How about this; why don't people take responsibility for their own actions instead of expecting one new regulation after another to control everything that happens in the world. Jeez I need to cool down - might have a coke. Oh shit just saw the adds for ACA on Monday where a mob of doctors are going to tell me I can't have it. Now about the fluoride in the bloody water......

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are we going to blame McDonalds and KFC for fat children?
Parental guidance or lack of is the blame for thought patterns.
I really don't think gambling sponsorship is going to have a negative impact on families.
Do the NRL need to do an impact study?

Status
Not open for further replies.