Lichaa lets loose in search of fresh start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motivated to prove the critics wrong, Bulldogs hooker Michael Lichaa has admitted he has had to take matters into his own hands the past fortnight in order to dispel the notion that he is a hooker lacking an attacking thrust.

Conceding in the lead-up to the Titans clash last Saturday that his style of play hadn't fit with coach Des Hasler's game-plan in three years at the Bulldogs, Lichaa cut loose on the Gold Coast, laying on two tries and running for more than 100 metres for the first time in two years.

The 24-year-old was one of five Bulldogs players farewelled after defeating the Sea Eagles 30-12 in Round 24 and is promising another attacking display against the Dragons on Sunday as he looks to shore up his future.

‌After three years in the Sharks' under-20s Lichaa graduated to the club's NRL team in 2014 before being poached as Michael Ennis's replacement at Belmore, playing 64 games across the past three seasons but regressing in the eyes of many.

Lichaa himself says he doesn't regret a minute of his time at Canterbury but told NRL.com he has felt the need to unleash his attacking instincts in order to showcase his skills to those clubs currently courting his services.

"I probably don't have too much to lose at the moment," Lichaa said after the 26-14 win over the Titans.

"I'm just trying to get my future sorted and I've just got to play the way I know I can play.

"I think the last two weeks I've done that and hopefully can get something sorted soon.

"A lot of people might say that I don't run the ball and this and that but that's something I'll never lose. That was always my biggest strength and I know I've still got that. The last two weeks I've done that.

"Attack-wise, I know I've still got it there. I've showed the last two weeks that I've still got it. It's just a matter of doing it and getting the chance to and I think I have the last two weeks so that's all I can build off.

"I've met with a few teams and a few coaches and it's looking good. I've just got to get it sorted with my manager and sit down in the next week or two and try and figure it out and go from there."

Such was the regard for which Lichaa was held as he emerged in Cronulla's under-20s system that he was spoken about as a future New South Wales Origin hooker.

Those predictions seem a long way off now but Lichaa is adamant that his development at the defensive end whilst a Bulldog will hold him in good stead for whatever is to come next.

"Just because someone says you're going to be the next New South Wales hooker or something like that doesn't mean it's going to happen. You have to work hard for it," said Lichaa, who is set to represent Lebanon in the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

"It obviously hasn't gone exactly to plan the last few years for me but I've definitely learned a lot. I've loved the club and I don't regret any of it.

"People might say that I haven't gone as far as what I should have by this time but defence-wise I've definitely learnt a lot.

"To be able to do 50 and 60 tackles some games, I never thought I'd be able to do that and that's in the bank now and I know I can pull that off whenever I need to which is awesome.

"Half the game is tackling, especially if you're a hooker. I know I've got my defence down pat and the last two weeks I've really shown that I can still attack.

"You never really lose that, it's just bringing it back into my game so that's what I did."

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be more concerned about this article than the crap he has dished up previous 3 years.

Seems that he is purposely not playing to team tactics so he can get a gig elsewhere.

I know is a fu to des and you all happy about it, but think about it plus the way he is talking publically and des and then club should discipline him and drop him for rest of season

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Notice how previously he'd go on runs from dummy half and look lost because he was looking for a pass, whereas now he just darts from dummy half and gets tackled for a quick play the ball?

Well that's desball, demanding that the hooker never get tackled.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I love how he fails to address his ability to throw a basic pass. Or crowding in the ruck causing a balls up or dropped ball.

Yes he's got ability, but I'm not convinced he's anything better than a fringe first grader.

It's easy to use the coach as an excuse.. but he's not the one on the field or throwing the ball.

Lichaa could have played the last few weeks football during our season at any time, and that would have won him a contract renewal.

EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES ... that's all I'm reading here.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Running aside their have been other issues in his game that he needs to take responsibility for

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Des may have made Lichaa worse though a crap gameplan, but Lichaa still sucks. Happy to see the back of him.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no denying that Lichaa owes a big thank you for Des for giving him a massive opportunity and placing 3 years worth of trust in him as a successor of Michael Ennis. Des Hasler continuously backed and supported Lichaa even though the media and fans kept criticising him. Just because Des has finally given up on Lichaa, Lichaa is serving a massive attitude. He is acting like a sore loser in my opinion. He is someone that cannot handle criticism and thinks he can fool people about his ability by blaming Des. Well i have a message for you Lichaa, You are not fooling me. You are making excuses about your own game by taking advantage of what the media has to say about Hasler. I find it absolutely horse shit that Des said to Lichaa i want you to tackle ONLY and never occasionally go for quick runs from Dummy half. I find this nonsensical. Also, even if Hasler said that 'structure A' will work it does not mean that a player should strictly adhere to this for 3 bloody years and never play outside this. Any normal player would play instinctively even if there is a set structure. No excuses Lichaa. Stop blaming it on Des.
I also find it disgusting that Lichaa is saying this about Des- a guy he is supposed to thank for placing trust and belief in him. This is not the way to thank someone Lichaa. Fix your attitude, stop blaming des and start accepting responsibility for your own game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There is no denying that Lichaa owes a big thank you for Des for giving him a massive opportunity and placing 3 years worth of trust in him as a successor of Michael Ennis. Des Hasler continuously backed and supported Lichaa even though the media and fans kept criticising him. Just because Des has finally given up on Lichaa, Lichaa is serving a massive attitude. He is acting like a sore loser in my opinion. He is someone that cannot handle criticism and thinks he can fool people about his ability by blaming Des. Well i have a message for you Lichaa, You are not fooling me. You are making excuses about your own game by taking advantage of what the media has to say about Hasler. I find it absolutely horse shit that Des said to Lichaa i want you to tackle ONLY and never occasionally go for quick runs from Dummy half. I find this nonsensical. Also, even if Hasler said that 'structure A' will work it does not mean that a player should strictly adhere to this for 3 bloody years and never play outside this. Any normal player would play instinctively even if there is a set structure. No excuses Lichaa. Stop blaming it on Des.
I also find it disgusting that Lichaa is saying this about Des- a guy he is supposed to thank for placing trust and belief in him. This is not the way to thank someone Lichaa. Fix your attitude, stop blaming des and start accepting responsibility for your own game.
You Hasler supporters are fucking annoying. You ***** obviously don't give a shit about our club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Notice how previously he'd go on runs from dummy half and look lost because he was looking for a pass, whereas now he just darts from dummy half and gets tackled for a quick play the ball?

Well that's desball, demanding that the hooker never get tackled.
Notice how the Hasler supporters stand out in this thread? Hahaha.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Notice how the Hasler supporters stand out in this thread? Hahaha.
These last two weeks should be a slap in the face of hasler supporters.

• The change in game play
  • Lichaa coming out and saying he's playing his own game and having a MOM performance vs Titans
  • Reynolds being asked on the Sunday footy show if the tactics have changed and REynolds avoiding answering the question suggest the boys are just playing footy and have dumped desball
How much clearer does it have to be and yet some still have their heads in the sand

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Hasler supporters are fucking annoying. You ***** obviously don't give a shit about our club.
Not once did i say i support Hasler. You are someone that cannot comprehend. My whole post has nothing to do with Hasler. It is about Lichaa, his attitude , character and how he doesn't have the balls to say i am shit so is blaming it on Hasler

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not once did i say i support Hasler. You are someone that cannot comprehend. My whole post has nothing to do with Hasler. It is about Lichaa, his attitude , character and how he doesn't have the balls to say i am shit so is blaming it on Hasler
Because it is on Hasler.

Status
Not open for further replies.