Jayden Okunbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I know he scored 3 tries today and im probably just jumping on the hype train. But I really think this guy is a player that can make it here for us (not many around), he does have sloppy hands at times and his defence still needs to be tweaked but he is built like a young Idris and I don't see why he can't be a Corey Oates type player for us on the wing (Like Oates he also can play in the centres or backrow), he can provide strong carries to start our sets and is really quick as well as a decent enough finisher.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
He is very injury prone , good player but always injured.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope so mate, fingers crossed for the kid, he looks promising that's for sure.

I know this is lame, but fuck I wish he'd cut his hair and be done with the Idris comparisons...

Sorry, I know it's lame....just want him to have his own identity.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There's a lot to like about Okunbor, but he rushed the last 5 minutes and caused two costly errorrs (though Doolans kick out on the full from restart didn't help either).

Gets a lot of Idris comparisons for obvious reasons, but he also plays a similar game to Jamal. Destined for Centre/Second Row I would say, or perhaps even Lock.

He'll end up in NSW Cup next year and will have the chance to play against bigger blokes though because he monsters some under 20s players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's a lot to like about Okunbor, but he rushed the last 5 minutes and caused two costly errorrs (though Doolans kick out on the full from restart didn't help either).

Gets a lot of Idris comparisons for obvious reasons, but he also plays a similar game to Jamal. Destined for Centre/Second Row I would say, or perhaps even Lock.

He'll end up in NSW Cup next year and will have the chance to play against bigger blokes though because he monsters some under 20s players.
You probably raised the biggest question about whether hell make it in the NRL at the end of that post. I haven't seen him play but every thread about him talks about him being pretty big. So if he's able to make it with skill where he can't dominate smaller guys he's in with a chance I think. If he struggles to match it physically against adults who have worked hard to be able to deal with some of the giants the game loves to usher towards the NRL he will need to rely more on skill. I can't think of the name of the winger we had a few years ago that faded out once he got to reserve grade, but I think that being able to monster smaller blokes made him look more skilled than he was. I hope this isn't the case with Okunbor. I'd love to see us bringing more quality juniors through the system.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He also had 3 line break assists and a try assist lol. He looked incredible with the ball in hand, looked a class above everyone else on the field even with those shit errors at the end.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How would you like to be remembered at the end of your career?
I think I would like to be remembered as a hard worker and a one club man.

He's about same height as Idris, but about 10kgs lighter.

But yeah, quite the beast. I think he'll thrive in NSW Cup Alan79 as he's got a really nice offload on him too.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching him last last year I felt he was very average - HOWEVER this year he has been a lot better - more suited to the forwards - defence though still needs a lot of work. I hope he plays the second half of the year in NSW cup - need to use skill n not just size.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watching him last last year I felt he was very average - HOWEVER this year he has been a lot better - more suited to the forwards - defence though still needs a lot of work. I hope he plays the second half of the year in NSW cup - need to use skill n not just size.
He was average last season and struggled with fitness as well but this guy has like a little X-Factor about him and I think he can be a good player.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Give him a year or two to fine tune his game and he could be a VERY useful supersub if he continues improving his game.

Can play in the backline (wing/centre), fullback at an absolute pinch, but can also play second row/lock, and has played prop before now too.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/holden-cup-wrap-round-14/tabid/10874/newsid/108847/default.aspx

The next Idris?

It's not just the dreadlocks that have many people comparing Bulldogs back-rower Jayden Okunbor to injured Wests Tigers star Jamal Idris. The big man was at his destructive best in his side's narrow loss to the Dragons on Monday - we'll get to his stats a bit later in this column - and there's every chance we'll see the 196cm Milperra Colts junior running around in the NRL next year. He started last season in the centres, finished 2016 in the front row but has found his groove on the edge with Okunbor consistently in the top three performers at the Bulldogs each week.

3 – As we mentioned earlier, Jayden Okunbor was the standout performer in a losing side on Monday afternoon with three tries, three line breaks, a try assist, four offloads, seven tackle busts and 129 running metres.

Well done Jayden!!! Impressive stats from the big man!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't get the comparison to Idris? Jayden doesn't have bitch tits.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always liked him deserves a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.