Model railway layout

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very impressive..do you remember the train set up in the miniature Metropolis model in Superman Returns? Best thing about the movie!!
No i don't actually. I'll have to see it again. I last saw it over 11 years ago.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
@mt_pride94
Check this dudes layout fucking unbelievable you don't realize how big it is till he starts walking through it
Farout bro. That thing puts the one at HobbiesCo to absolute shame. This thing is a mini network itself complete with its own village. Goodness knows how may square metres that thing is. I sure as heck hope he owns that house it's in and doesn't rent it lol.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Quick update: we have added more to the mountain seen in the photos using expanding foam and will paint it once it drys.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i thought i would share photos and videos of the model railway layout my dad and i are building.
Way to go, guys. Until you start a layout like this, you cannot appreciate the amount of work that goes into it - much of which is hidden beneath the board.

Not sure where you live, but there is the big model railway show at the Whitlam Centre, Liverpool on the October Long Weekend. Lots of stuff for sale and people who can give great advice on modelling.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Way to go, guys. Until you start a layout like this, you cannot appreciate the amount of work that goes into it - much of which is hidden beneath the board.

Not sure where you live, but there is the big model railway show at the Whitlam Centre, Liverpool on the October Long Weekend. Lots of stuff for sale and people who can give great advice on modelling.
Thank you very much mate. I always go to the Liverpool exhibition every year with my father. I enjoy seeing the layouts. Also are you going to the exhibition this year?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dad and i have just painted the mountain. Here are some more photos

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking good mate well done to you and your old man
Thank you very much man. Appreciate it. We put masking tape on the track as so not to get paint on it. But paint did end up getting on a curve and some masking tape pulled out a bit of nickel from the track. So we have to buy some end tracks :(. But other then that My dad and I are happy with how the mountain turned out.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
holy moly!

is that real gravel you got under the tracks?
Yep, Chuck's Ballast sell various styles of gravel for layouts. You can buy it through most hobby shops or at the model train shows.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much mate. I always go to the Liverpool exhibition every year with my father. I enjoy seeing the layouts. Also are you going to the exhibition this year?
Yes, I'll be there on the ARHS stand. Come and say hello.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much man. Appreciate it. We put masking tape on the track as so not to get paint on it. But paint did end up getting on a curve and some masking tape pulled out a bit of nickel from the track. So we have to buy some end tracks :(. But other then that My dad and I are happy with how the mountain turned out.
A track rubber, or a bit of cork soaked in Isopropyl will clean rails of paint and crud quite safely.

Your layout is looking good.