Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Will Hopoate to play Sunday NRL, reversing decision to stand down from matches for religious reasons
Exclusive Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
10 minutes ago
Subscriber only
CANTERBURY fullback Will Hopoate has declared himself available for Sunday football this season, reversing last year’s decision to stand down for religious reasons.

A strict Mormon, Hopoate confirmed his decision to team mates this morning that he would be playing in Sunday’s blockbuster against the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium.

He will also be available for round 13 against the Panthers at ANZ Stadium and round 18 against the Knights at Belmore in a massive boost to the Bulldogs premiership campaign.

Will Hopoate is set to lace up for the Bulldogs on Sundays this season.
Hopoate will speak at a Bulldogs press conference later today to reveal why he has decided to play.

The dashing fullback, who recently ran 300 metres in the game against the Canberra Raiders, met with coach Des Hasler last week before making his decision.

Hopoate is on a reduced contract at the Bulldogs because he has been unavailable for Sunday games. It was part of the deal when he joined the Bulldogs from Parramatta two years ago.

Hopoate is currently in talks with the Bulldogs about a contract extension.

Will Hopoate is on a reduced contract at the Bulldogs due to his decision not to play Sundays. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler has previously said he admired Hopoate’s commitment to his faith.

“This is what makes Will so special,” Hasler told the Sunday Telegraph last year when it was revealed he would not be available for Sunday games.

“His beliefs distinguish him and we are very proud to have such a person within our walls.

“To deny something that is so fundamental to a person is to deny that person the right to be who they are.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2af901e94e49092122ebdb7dc49683ac

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd offer him 450-550k and play him at centre. That still leaves us a gun fullback short of having a premiership credential team.

Hoppa at centre will give us the best of both worlds, damaging runner and crunching defence.

His lateral movement at fullback is a liability when the line is broken.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So this guy sold out his religion for $$$.

What a joke of a human being putting actions before your faith.

I pity him, if he was truely devout he would have found an occupation that could work around his religious commitments.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So playing htis week then. Good, need all we can get after that sh*thouse performance.
The Bench needs attention. A tleast 2 of them that were there last week should be gone. No idea why Montyoa was there, start him. And Kas, wow he must be gone and p*ssed.

Dognacious

RIP Habs
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
2 x NF Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was probably going to struggle to get a contract anywhere next year with Sundays off, so smart decision by him. Also sorts out our fullback. So we are a complete side for next year assuming mbye will play hooker. Otherwise we still need a hooker.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cool. If he is committed to Sundays he can add something to the team on an ongoing basis, for sure.

Good news.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People whinge when he says he doesn't wanna play Sundays now you whinge when he says he will. Obviously there is no money for another fullback. Time for people to move on from that idea

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry Will....... I couldn't give two fucks, was actually looking forward to Montoya getting another go

Reactions: GDR

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

I pity him, if he was truely devout he would have found an occupation that could work around his religious commitments.
I really disagree with opinions like this.

I am pretty sure Will has always said that he would prefer to not do any kind of work on Sundays. The key word here is prefer. Even Sammy Perrett said the same thing, but the club denied it in his case.

Will was not to blame for the club allowing him to not play Sundays, he asked, they agreed. The club is where any anger over that situation should be directed, not at Will.

It seems clear that Will wants to stay, but we will not allow the Sunday clause to be included again. So what are his options? He knows another club is very unlikely to allow this clause and he is no doubt happy at our club. So whilst he would still prefer to not play Sundays, he will because he no longer has that option before him.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Will.

So you needed to adhere to this religious rule last year, which lead to B.Morris at the back injuring himself, but now it's ok when you're trying to score a new contract?

Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another salary to try and fit under our salary cap

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Off contract players..... funny how they always come good when the contract ending
Gotta love a contract year...just wait till next when he re-signs, the 'no Sundays' rule will be back in action.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To me this looks like Will wants to stay with us, but the Bulldogs aren't interested unless he plays Sundays.

Looks like Will might be getting an upgrade.
Will is playing for a contract
And our club learnt the hard way a lesson

It was always a slap in the face to us fans, sponsors and team mates

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score

That's a ruff call. I reckon most people just need to find the middle ground with faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.