Should the NRL have a Zero Tolerance drug policy?

Should the NRL have a Zero Tolerance drug policy?

• Yes - Zero Tolerance to all drugs.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No - Let the players do what they want.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Maybe - Depends on the drug.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed with the rest of your post except for the bit I quoted.

Portugal and Netherlands have shown that they have reduced not only the harm but number of users as well. So I believe we should definitely explore their ways. And in no way what so ever am I saying we're going to have a 100% success rate.

They did this doco, on ABC, and they interviewed troy Grant who referenced a Dutch study and the results. When they contacted the ones who conducted the study and relayed troy grants comments, the ones who conducted the study said it was a complete misrepresentation of their study

This kind of thinking is just not going to get us anywhere, it's going to yield the same results. We need to expand our methodology on this
I was in the Netherlands last year and all their discussion was around the need to re-criminalise drugs including the cannibis cafes due to the out of control drug problems they have. One of the things I learnt long ago about reports and stats was that it is never apples with apples. All stats are in context and particularly in relation to the decriminalisation/criminalisation debate. I've worked on national and state committees working through approaches and it just never ends up in the same place with everyone in agreement. I'm all for exploring ways to reduce the impact of drugs in the community but ultimately it will always depend on demand and capacity. Legalisation increases demand for everything and capacity relates to disruptive techniques mainly in other countries but also here. I could go on for ever about this stuff but the simple fact is that people will look for ways to make them feel better about something and while that is OK spasmodically, the sad truth is too many people can't control themselves and things go downhill from there.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd give them a second chance, its not a performance enhancing thing and generally bosses don't have the right to know what people do on their day off, but we all know getting the big moola fame gets extra scrutiny.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cocaine and other drugs can have (even the most minute) increase in performance.
Coke does not have any form or performance enhancements.

I don't condone the use of hard drugs, what I mean by hard drugs are Ice, Heroin.

I say do whatever the fk you want, if you want to snort a line or two then whatever.

Nowadays, high profile people getting caught with a gram or two of coke and they are portrayed as the junkies or the worst people ever. Fact of the matter is no matter where you work or what you do, there are a lot of people using coke in your own office for their own personal enjoyment especially in clubs, bars etc.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only thing that is not acceptable in sports are performance enhancements ie Steroids and match fixing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The One Punch laws were passed because of alcohol and so were the lock out laws in the City. A large proportion of domestic violence are also connected to alcohol

Sydney is looking more and more like a police because of alcohol consumption and the f%#kwits who can't handle it.

If you are looking to get get high like you do with drugs using alcohol you don't go for beer. Try something like 100% proof rum, Green Chatreuse or Absynthe which can be up to 75% in content. 5 or 6 shots and you won't remember the night before.
You can also give someone who is overdosing a shot and bring them back to consciousness, but theres no chance with a drunk. I even had a nate who passed out, threw up and then choked on his spew and died. RIP tristan.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The only thing that is not acceptable in sports are performance enhancements ie Steroids and match fixing.
What if everyone uses them?

Won't it lead to a better on field product? Stronger faster players?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How can they after making Johns an Immortal and parading the fool every week?

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only to a degree. Does this same notion apply to every single job? What do you or i do when we come home from work? Exactly what we please. And unless it is directly affecting our work then i dont see what the issue is. So why can't a player do as they please in their spare time?
Im not saying they should be going out and taking drugs, and obviously the NRL and clubs have a set of guidelines in place, but i think its rediculous when recrational drugs are classed as performance enhancing drugs, and carry rediculous penalties at times.
For what I earn and the zero investment my employer puts into my health and fitness? Doing drugs is not an issue.

I would not sign or resign any player to the club I ran if I knew they were polluting their body with drugs. If they need the drugs or want that lifestyle they're in the wrong business.

A player can do what they want in their spare time, as long as it. 1. Legal, 2. Not detrimental to the player's well being and health.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
but is alcohol all they had in their system? You can't squarely blame it.
So clearly in your mind there has to be another substance in their system to cause them to be violent when drunk. Do you live in a fucking bubble??

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My taxes pay for wars I don't agree with, massive subsidies to INEFFICIENT industries (Gina Reinhardt I'm looking at you) so should I just tell the govt to take those portions out of my tax?

I'll GLADLY pay taxes for free education and healthcare because they're for the betterment of society. And that's what I see the drug problem as, A health issue.

The injecting rooms were dismantled by the libs, I think you'll find, from statistics, that the injecting rooms were helping addicts
The knock out blow!!! Well said.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw the effect of coke a few years ago when I saw Marilyn Manson perform at Soundwave.

The guy was so seriously fucked he could barely stand, let alone sing.
Have you never seen a drunk person before?? Notice how they tend to lose their balance??
How can you possibly definitively say he was on coke?? Thats a wild guess and nothing more.

That's a parenting fail if kids are taking drugs.

Shit I wouldn't even have the foggiest clue where to go looking if I actually wanted a joint or bag of coke.

Maybe it's also to do with the company people keep (and thus social/peer pressure)!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw the effect of coke a few years ago when I saw Marilyn Manson perform at Soundwave.

The guy was so seriously fucked he could barely stand, let alone sing.

That's a parenting fail if kids are taking drugs.

Shit I wouldn't even have the foggiest clue where to go looking if I actually wanted a joint or bag of coke.

Maybe it's also to do with the company people keep (and thus social/peer pressure)!
Go out a little more Mr I where fun people are having fun, won't be hard getting what you want.

I bet there are a few managers that are on it and you wouldn't even know it.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Go out a little more Mr I where fun people are having fun, won't be hard getting what you want.

I bet there are a few managers that are on it and you wouldn't even know it.
It's rampant in the upper echelons of society. The same ones who make the laws or lobby politicians

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ill be okay with that then, because its even steven
There was an article on this forget where it was cause I read it ages ago.

Basically there was this Olympic cross country skier who's internal organs were in such a way that it gave him a massive advantage over the whole field and he won like 4 or 5 gold medals in a row.

The article put the case forward that this was like an unfair advantage too but because he was born with that unfair advantage people were accepting of it and in this case drugs would've actually levelled the playing field

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Had moved on from the subject, but seen this and thought some may find it of interest.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There was an article on this forget where it was cause I read it ages ago.

Basically there was this Olympic cross country skier who's internal organs were in such a way that it gave him a massive advantage over the whole field and he won like 4 or 5 gold medals in a row.

The article put the case forward that this was like an unfair advantage too but because he was born with that unfair advantage people were accepting of it and in this case drugs would've actually levelled the playing field
One of the Tour de France winners (I think it might have been Miguel Indurian) had some freak stats on his body, including a lung capacity much bigger than the average joe. Of course he worked his ringer off training etc and deserved his 5 titles, but it does make you think if he had the same lung capacity of the other cyclists whether he would have been as successful.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Coke does not have any form or performance enhancements.
Where does one draw the line regarding "performance enhancing" though?

For example:
If it increases your awareness/reaction time - is it performance enhancing?
If it increases blood flow and heart rate - is it performance enhancing?

Tis a tricky one.

Anyway I think some people are getting a little heated in this thread.. to them, lets just say we agree to disagree on some facets of the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.