Should the NRL have a Zero Tolerance drug policy?

Should the NRL have a Zero Tolerance drug policy?

• Yes - Zero Tolerance to all drugs.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No - Let the players do what they want.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Maybe - Depends on the drug.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Come on, seriously?? I cant believe people calling recreational drugs 'performance inhancing' drugs. What a laugh. Unless they have a big line of coke and then walk out onto the field, recreational drugs will only have a detrimental effect. There is no way proctor and bromwich will play better next week because of it!!!
If you want the NRL to have zero tolerence on drugs then lets not prejudice and pick and choose what drugs to show zero tolerence to. Lets not forget that alcohol is a drug. And surely we cant forget the damage it has done to the game, and to common people in society.
How many car accidents, domestic violence or common assault instances are directly attributed to alcohol??? Almost all of them. So dont be naive and stand there with your heads in the sand on this.
Im not saying that drugs have a place in the game, but if anyone is suggesting that if a player has a line of coke they should be banned for life then you have no clue whatsoever.
If the police let them off with a warning, then i think it would be a massive over reaction if the club stood them down for more then a week or two in my opinion.
you do know alcohol is legal, right ?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's very much the stance that's currently taken. Many do it, many know about it, many look the other way. But if you get caught then you damage the image of the game and your club. You're only in trouble if you get caught by the public eye.
I agree. At the end of the day the NRL and all clubs frown upon the use of illegal drugs. (Alcohol is fine though) and players sign contracts which im guessing stipulate no drugs?? If thisvis the case then no drugs is the way it should be. But if not, then judge players accorldingly

jasonsmith1994

Waterboy
Reaction score
some people class alcohol as a drug,so just ban the drugs that they havent noticed they dont need,and the ones that are not taxed

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Far too many people seem to have the opinion that illegal drug use is so wide spread that society should just look the other way. In my opinion this is almost like condoning the drug use. If you want your kids to grow up snorting cocaine in a nightclub bathroom, injecting themselves with heroin or methylamphetamines, taking ecstacy etc then fine lets just do nothing.. but i want a better future for my kids, one in which they not only dont do the above things themselves but also a future where they dont have to be unnecessarily exposed to it.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Far too many people seem to have the opinion that illegal drug use is so wide spread that society should just look the other way. In my opinion this is almost like condoning the drug use. If you want your kids to grow up snorting cocaine in a nightclub bathroom, injecting themselves with heroin or methylamphetamines, taking ecstacy etc then fine lets just do nothing.. but i want a better future for my kids, one in which they not only dont do the above things themselves but also a future where they dont have to be unnecessarily exposed to it.
No one in this thread said that.

They're saying treat it as a health issue and not a criminal one.

Portugal are a shining light example of treating drugs as a health issue rather than a criminal issue and they have seen their drug use numbers DRASTICALLY go down

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one in this thread said that.

They're saying treat it as a health issue and not a criminal one.

Portugal are a shining light example of treating drugs as a health issue rather than a criminal issue and they have seen their drug use numbers DRASTICALLY go down
I think being delusional is also a health problem.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think being delusional is also a health problem.
To expand on that at what point does drugs stop being a "health problem" and start being a criminal one.. when its made/grown? when its sold? When someone breaks into your house to support the habit? Or prostitutes themselves? Or when someone dies from taking a lethal amount or bad batch? When someone kills someone because of drug delusions or over a drug debt? When someone buys a flash house and car without paying their taxes? When gangs/cartels are formed and use torture, extortion, murder, kidnapping to facilitate their operation... doesnt sound like a health problem to me.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I went to answer no,but didn't like the part it said let them do what they want.

Zero tolerance is stupid, drugs is all over our society you would be suprised how many player would be out taking cocaine.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To expand on that at what point does drugs stop being a "health problem" and start being a criminal one.. when its made/grown? when its sold? When someone breaks into your house to support the habit? Or prostitutes themselves? Or when someone dies from taking a lethal amount or bad batch? When someone kills someone because of drug delusions or over a drug debt? When someone buys a flash house and car without paying their taxes? When gangs/cartels are formed and use torture, extortion, murder, kidnapping to facilitate their operation... doesnt sound like a health problem to me.
In one post I think you wrapped up the ignorance the general population has of the drug problem.

Treat it as a health problem vs a criminal problem

• The government supplies the drug
  • Govt supplying it makes sure the drug is "clean" from contaminants that can kill
  • Govt supplying takes the black market/crime out of it as criminals can't compete with a a controlled substance
  • Your users become KNOWN and hence they can be treated as opposed to people keeping their drug habits a secret because of fear of prosecution
  • Addicts no longer have to steal to feed their habit, They can go to govt administered clinics where not only can they get their drug of choice, in controlled circumstances, but also get TREATMENT for their addictions and care by medical professionals
We've criminalized drugs for a long long time, it hasn't worked.

Here's an article about Portugal treating the problem as a HEALTH PROBLEM and not a criminal one

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happened-when-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-2016-3

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And on protecting children. Kids brains go through massive transformation during their puberty years and surprise surprise kids make stupid choices, sometimes they succumb to peer pressure.

We've all done stupid shit when we were kids, things that we look back on and say I never should have done that

If we're genuine about protecting kids and saving their lifetimes from bad choices, then why put a lifetime criminal record on kids for a bad choice they made when clearly they aren't mature enough to make.mature choices?

Why not treat this as a health problem ONLY and not tar this children for a lifetime?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wait what??

I don't think I've EVER heard or seen reported someone breaking and entering someones house, to buy booze.

Or holding up a shop, to buy booze.

Drugs however, happens all the time.

How many assaults/DV incidents/car accidents are attributed to meth?

Sorry but your statement is ridiculous.

As for alcohol being a drug... yes and no. How many beers do you need to have in order to get to the same level as someone doing joints or a line?

Drugs create crime... simple as that.
The One Punch laws were passed because of alcohol and so were the lock out laws in the City. A large proportion of domestic violence are also connected to alcohol

Sydney is looking more and more like a police because of alcohol consumption and the f%#kwits who can't handle it.

If you are looking to get get high like you do with drugs using alcohol you don't go for beer. Try something like 100% proof rum, Green Chatreuse or Absynthe which can be up to 75% in content. 5 or 6 shots and you won't remember the night before.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the NRL will never let players get away with getting caught with/taking illegal drugs. It goes back to "mums not letting kids play a sport that is ok with players taking drugs".

Arguments about the drug debate doesn't matter, having 3 players and an executive in the headlines within 24hrs for taking coke is a publicity nightmare.

Perhaps say 4weeks for first offence, 8 weeks 2nd offence, 16weeks 3rd offence etc for getting caught taking/possession of illegal drugs and for significant alcohol-related offences (DUI, DV etc). In addition, 12month rep ban 1st offence, 2yrs 2nd, 4yrs 3rd etc.

During ban, a significant chunk of their contract (dependent on size) is held as a bond, returned after their ban is complete unless they re-offend during their ban.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You can bet your bottom dollar those in this thread staunchly defending drugs like coke, are regulars with needles in arms, or cutting up coke.

They also overlook those with the taste for drugs increasing their usage, and trying other drugs for a different high.

I bet Columbia chick a few years ago would have only needed one set of "Columbian Beats" to fuel a month of partying.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
  • Govt supplying it makes sure the drug is "clean" from contaminants that can kill
  • Govt supplying takes the black market/crime out of it as criminals can't compete with a a controlled substance
  • Your users become KNOWN and hence they can be treated as opposed to people keeping their drug habits a secret because of fear of prosecution
  • Addicts no longer have to steal to feed their habit, They can go to govt administered clinics where not only can they get their drug of choice, in controlled circumstances, but also get TREATMENT for their addictions and care by medical professionals
And when people want heroin, or meth, or bath salts legalized? You have to draw the line somewhere. Cocaine is a class A drug for good reason.

Besides what a shit storm that would create when the first person overdoses and sites the government for tens of millions. That's why governments should never contemplate it.

Also note how little the injecting rooms in kings cross have done!

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From my point of view and work experiences...

Alcohol causes similar problems as cocaine, ice and heroin.

If you legalise lab drugs (heroin, cocaine, ice) its not going to stop the demand for it. Only make it easier to access... with that the other crimes associated with it will increase. Just because its legal, your typical user is not all of a sudden going to get a job to support their habit.

The problems caused with cannabis can be solved with legalisation. Government regulated, reduce the amount of THC and let the profits go to the government not organised criminal groups

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In one post I think you wrapped up the ignorance the general population has of the drug problem.

Treat it as a health problem vs a criminal problem

Here's an article about Portugal treating the problem as a HEALTH PROBLEM and not a criminal one

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happened-when-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-2016-3
What about the stats that show portugal has had a 40% increase in drug induced homicides, or that the hiv rate in portugal is the 3rd highest in Europe. Statistics can be spun to suit any agenda. When in doubt just remember what mr garrison said. Drugs are bad mmkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.