WTF is with A League supporter bases??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wannabe hooligans. However there are thousands of professional football matches around the world every weekend. Only a small percentage end up with crows trouble .

Of you get to watch Champions league , World Cup , Premier league matches or any of the top European league derby matches live you will experience an atmosphere 2nd to none.
Even the pre game atmosphere is amazing.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is a Greek Cup match between 2 of the biggest clubs in Greece a few years ago. 35,000 fans, and I think it was a semi final, and we complain about 1 flare.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is a Greek Cup match between 2 of the biggest clubs in Greece a few years ago. 35,000 fans, and I think it was a semi final, and we complain about 1 flare.

Yea mate even the Turkish and Serbian Derbies get really dangerous.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Been more crowd fights in 4 rounds of NRL than the 24 rounds of A League.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wanderers (and RBB) member here. Bulldogs member for 11 years, and Wanderers for 3.

I love it. Apart of me wishes that the Bulldogs had something like this 10 years ago (although I do admit, the RBB have a tendency for the extreme). Imagine a non-stop chanting/singing army.

If you go to a game, even as a neutral, you cannot help but be captivated by it. I have heard absolute haters of the A-league go to a Wanderers game and just get swept by the euphoria of it. It's like a party, or a celebration.

And the media overdo it, a lot of which by that now deceased Bec Wilson. The average amount of people evicted from an A-league game is nowhere near the amount of the average AFL game. And that includes at a per capita ratio.

Also - I know the person who created that homophobic banner. I thought it was funny cause I cannot stand that prick Arnold.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wanderers (and RBB) member here. Bulldogs member for 11 years, and Wanderers for 3.

I love it. Apart of me wishes that the Bulldogs had something like this 10 years ago (although I do admit, the RBB have a tendency for the extreme). Imagine a non-stop chanting/singing army.

If you go to a game, even as a neutral, you cannot help but be captivated by it. I have heard absolute haters of the A-league go to a Wanderers game and just get swept by the euphoria of it. It's like a party, or a celebration.

And the media overdo it, a lot of which by that now deceased Bec Wilson. The average amount of people evicted from an A-league game is nowhere near the amount of the average AFL game. And that includes at a per capita ratio.

Also - I know the person who created that homophobic banner. I thought it was funny cause I cannot stand that prick Arnold.
First off all fuck you cause Sydney FC is the way to go.

And I agree I wish the NRL had a similar atmosphere to most A league clubs, one would think that in a sport where bodies are coming in contact every second that the fans would be on there feet and chanting.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Out of interest what nationality are you?

And IF you are of european or south american background in which your background has proper footballing culture and history, don't you find the A-League shenanigans to be plastic?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Born here - Lebaneese parents.

And I can see where you are coming from. I wouldn't call it plastic - I have disagreed a lot with there antics, but what they bring (at least for me) by far and a way outweigh the negatives they bring along.

The music, their songs - they have more of a South American feel, but there approach can be seen with a more European influence.

That being said, it is a very mediocre league at a multitude of different levels - but it starts at the top.

And there is no surprise as to who is at the top... because he held back the NRL for too long.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And I can see where you are coming from. I wouldn't call it plastic - I have disagreed a lot with there antics, but what they bring (at least for me) by far and a way outweigh the negatives they bring along.
See what I mean by plastic is that european and south american clubs have a long long history of rivalry, and most of these rivalries are built up on a history of politics.

So there's a genuine dislike for each other.

Meanwhile in the A-League, from season 1 there was confected rivalry, it wasn't real, they hated each other because that was the cool thing to do.

I know that with some of the old school NSL supporters who follow the A-League, that Wanderers were a way of saying F*** you to the new A-League administration that replaced their NSL clubs. So I can see a reason for some of these people to buy into that rivalry.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's also very early in its infancy. I can definitely tell you there is very much an "us" vs "them" mentality - and it drives from the socioeconomic background of both Sydney teams.

When you start looking at the NSL rivalries, a lot of them were based on culture (No need to go into which clubs were supported heavily by which ethnicity) - which comes down from the migration policy of Australia after WWII.

In a way they are both definitely similar in the sense it is not just the battle on the football pitch - but the hatred is there and very real.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree about the wanderers and the smurfs, I can see reasons for the rivalry there.

I kind of go back to season 1 when Sydney fc fans got into a fight with victory supporters at some bar in Melbourne and to me that was ridiculous given it was the first season.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
See I would bring that down to the old adage of Sydney V Melbourne.

It is not uncommon.

I remember when visitng Melbourne a few years back, I jumped into a tax, and not far behind me was some blonde bombshell who was hoping to take the taxi off me. She questioned me if she could take the Taxi, and I said soz (even though she was a machine), that I was holding the taxi down for 30 seconds whilst my friends made there way over.

She asked me if I was from Sydney.. I said yes... and her response?

"Oh... I feel sorry for you..."

So I closed the door on her face, her hair got caught in the door, and I told cabbie to make a run for it.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember back around 2000, there was a Melbourne city hotel that TV advertised its rooms as "just as good as anything you'll find in Sydney ". It always seemed odd to me, Sydney people couldn't a rats whether a hotel room was better or worse than something in Melbourne

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
It was like our games back in the day. A lot teenagers and early 20's find a thing they can go to where you can go and play up a bit with the boys and feel you have a bit of power but also ananimity in numbers. Some couldn't give a toss about the game really it's fun going out causing a bit of trouble with the liklyhood your not going to get busted for it. I think Western Sydney are going to find it a lot harder to control than the Bulldogs problem because it has become a lot more than some team they follow now they feel apart of something where it hadn't gotten to anything like that at the Bulldogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.