2017 SG Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another point to make is that both Hetherington and Wilkinson have both come from a different system, and learning the Dogs approach will take some time. Wilkinson could also make a handy winger.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs beat Balmain 22-16 at Leichhardt Oval.

Talivakaola, Averillo, Saukuru and Dillon tries. Wakeham 3/4.

Looking through the team list, 14/17 are Islander kids. That's a massive portion. Might be 15 if Wakeham is aswell.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive said it time and time again, it starts with quality coaches that actually know what they are watching. Not coaches that go to four hundred coaching clinics with the bulldogs and crawl there way up the ladder by being yes men, and being in the ear of patmore and macdonald, previously whitney and cleal because your not helping the kids and your not thinking for yourself. Then again if anybody shows any nous at all in the junior ranks they are flicked pretty quickly, such is the paranoia around keeping your job.

Look at the way our juniors play and some decisions being made. Training facilities poor, Injury management poor, dont get me wrong we don't spend the money on juniors that other clubs do, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be having a fair dinkum review every year, to improve, stream line procedures etc....

Ill give you a fine example of knowing what your watching, averillo hasn't played all year until last week, ive stated over and over he has a better skill set than hetherington and wilkinson, and proved it last week against the central coast, dillon is also better than wilkinson and hetherington,and has speed and balance which you cant teach, but because there a year younger and probably the other 2 are on better money etc.... my next door neighbours son plays in the grade below dillon and averillo at bankstown sports, so ive seen a lot of these two over the past 3 or 4 seasons, and although they will make there mistakes (because they are young and still learning), there fundemental skills tell you that they offer more now and in the future than the guy's out on the park, YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE WATCHING, thats what our coaching staff must learn at junior level.
Explains a lot - I'm not in the know of internal politics but based on watching games live including trials, and including holden cup, over a number of years I cant understand many of the selection decisions of the last two or three years.

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
6. Tommy Talau & 9. Lachlan Talau = Any relation to the great Willie Talau?
11. Jacob Winterstein = Any relation to Frank or Antonio Winterstein?

Also if Kytak Chan makes it to NRL level, I think he'll be the first Cambodian to ever play NRL.
Tommy and Lachie are Willie's sons and guess who is assistant coach? Yep, Willie. Jacob is Frank's younger brother.

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
Ive said it time and time again, it starts with quality coaches that actually know what they are watching. Not coaches that go to four hundred coaching clinics with the bulldogs and crawl there way up the ladder by being yes men, and being in the ear of patmore and macdonald, previously whitney and cleal because your not helping the kids and your not thinking for yourself. Then again if anybody shows any nous at all in the junior ranks they are flicked pretty quickly, such is the paranoia around keeping your job.

Look at the way our juniors play and some decisions being made. Training facilities poor, Injury management poor, dont get me wrong we don't spend the money on juniors that other clubs do, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be having a fair dinkum review every year, to improve, stream line procedures etc....

Ill give you a fine example of knowing what your watching, averillo hasn't played all year until last week, ive stated over and over he has a better skill set than hetherington and wilkinson, and proved it last week against the central coast, dillon is also better than wilkinson and hetherington,and has speed and balance which you cant teach, but because there a year younger and probably the other 2 are on better money etc.... my next door neighbours son plays in the grade below dillon and averillo at bankstown sports, so ive seen a lot of these two over the past 3 or 4 seasons, and although they will make there mistakes (because they are young and still learning), there fundemental skills tell you that they offer more now and in the future than the guy's out on the park, YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE WATCHING, thats what our coaching staff must learn at junior level.
Dillon and Averillo will get their crack at SG next year again. This year Dorian Yarak and Johnny Ryan (better options in my opinion) missed their chance because we bring Chan with a dicky hammy from Parra at the last minute and decide to promote youth and another assistant coaches nephew! Who said nepotism doesn't rule in rugby league

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Round 7
SG Ball Cup: Bulldogs v Raiders, Belmore Sports Ground, Sunday March 26, 3pm

1. Jake Averillo 2. Jonty Timoti 3. Amosa Manu 4. Tui Katoa 5. Logen Dillon 6. Tommy Talau 7. Brandon Wakeham 8. Soane Matavesi 9. Lachlan Talau 10. Pesamino Pasina 11. Jacob Winterstein 12. Sosaia Talivakaola 13. Pule Sua 14. Zac Hetherington 15. Evander Swann 16. Mosese Faeamani 17. Harrison Teritaiti

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/03/24/round_7_junior_rep_t.html

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 38 (T.Katoa 2, T.Talau 2, J.Averillo, S.Talivakaola, B.Wakeham tries; B.Wakeham 4, J.Averillo goals) def Canberra Raiders 10

Highlights:
http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/03/28/highlights_sg_ball_r.html [06:32 mark]

Last edited:

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
How some boys got in the squad of 25 is beyond me. I know injuries occur and some kids are disinterested, but clearly the policy is to pick sides based on something other than talent.

This is the 25 that should be out there...
1. Wilkinson 2. Winterstein 3. Timoti 4. Katoa 5. Manu 6. Harding/Hetherington? 7. Wakeham 8. Sua 9. L Talau 10. Faemani 11. Saddler 12. Talivakaola 13. Traino 14. T Talau
15. Swann 16. Matavesi 17. Moefili 18. Saukuru 19. Yarak 20. J Ryan 21. Pasina 22. Main 23. Averillo 24. Anderson

Anyone else is either too young or not skilful enough or not tough enough depending upon the position.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
How some boys got in the squad of 25 is beyond me. I know injuries occur and some kids are disinterested, but clearly the policy is to pick sides based on something other than talent.

This is the 25 that should be out there...
1. Wilkinson 2. Winterstein 3. Timoti 4. Katoa 5. Manu 6. Harding/Hetherington? 7. Wakeham 8. Sua 9. L Talau 10. Faemani 11. Saddler 12. Talivakaola 13. Traino 14. T Talau
15. Swann 16. Matavesi 17. Moefili 18. Saukuru 19. Yarak 20. J Ryan 21. Pasina 22. Main 23. Averillo 24. Anderson

Anyone else is either too young or not skilful enough or not tough enough depending upon the position.
Dillon and Averillo will get their crack at SG next year again. This year Dorian Yarak and Johnny Ryan (better options in my opinion) missed their chance because we bring Chan with a dicky hammy from Parra at the last minute and decide to promote youth and another assistant coaches nephew! Who said nepotism doesn't rule in rugby league
mate got to disagree with you there dillon and averillo better choices they offer more

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
there attacks alot better with dillon and averillo in the side
Look, you may be right in the long run, but as I said, they'll get their chance next year. Why develop kids through the system if you don't use them? Yarak for example is the fittest guy in the whole program, he's on contract, is tough and lightning quick and at u17s club level he shines in the premiership winning, star-studded Holy Cross Rhinos. He was Dogs top try scorer in Matt's and deserves his crack now in his age group. You'll see that I didn't have him in the best run on side in my opinion, but at least have him in the mix. Playing Saukuru, Dillon, Chan and now even Ratu ahead of him just doesn't make sense! Why stockpile all these players if you are not going to use them when it's their turn.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look, you may be right in the long run, but as I said, they'll get their chance next year. Why develop kids through the system if you don't use them? Yarak for example is the fittest guy in the whole program, he's on contract, is tough and lightning quick and at u17s club level he shines in the premiership winning, star-studded Holy Cross Rhinos. He was Dogs top try scorer in Matt's and deserves his crack now in his age group. You'll see that I didn't have him in the best run on side in my opinion, but at least have him in the mix. Playing Saukuru, Dillon, Chan and now even Ratu ahead of him just doesn't make sense! Why stockpile all these players if you are not going to use them when it's their turn.
SGBall were good against against North Sydney - given NS not a strong team. Wakeham again was very good. A few changes in the team from previous weeks - don't know if rested or injured - don't wish to be overly critical but Ratu on the wing - anyone else see the game.

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
SGBall were good against against North Sydney - given NS not a strong team. Wakeham again was very good. A few changes in the team from previous weeks - don't know if rested or injured - don't wish to be overly critical but Ratu on the wing - anyone else see the game.
Mate, everyone looks good v Norths. Rested for sure. I'm expecting this side to get to gf now but they dropped off miserably last year around this time so wait and see!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Parra just won 94 - 0. What. The. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.