Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First I just wanna say that these thread doesn't reflect my opinions and more so to see were my fellow kennelers stand on this topic.

Our current squad has arguably exited its premiership window and that is due to the fact that most of our squad has either passed its peak or yet to enter it. And also we have alot of gaping holes in the team.

We have Reynolds, Hopoate and Lichaa coming off contract at the end of this season and the only one I'd re-sign is Lichaa if he can continue to improve as he has been this season. And because we are assuming we are in a rebuilding stage we would limit our signing to players that are coming over as depth or if we get the chance to sign a superstar (Tedesco and Bird are the only ones left and neither are looking likely atm). And we should use 2018 as a make or break year for the other players, so Abbey should be given an extended run in first grade and we should use the chance to blood in players like Miller and Strickland.

1. Abbey
2. Montoya
3. Lee
4. Jmoz
5. Bmoz
6. Mbye
7. Frawley
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Graham
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Klemmer

14. Kasiano
15. Eastwood
16. Miller
17. Strickland

At the end of 2018 we would have a clear view of whether Abbey has developed enough to be a long term fullback, If Mbye can fulfill his potential as a 5/8 and whether Strickland and Miller are up for first grade.

We would also have around 800k + the salary cap increase in our pockets.

Then at the end of 2018 we have Jmoz, Bmoz, Eastwood, Graham, Kasiano and Lee coming off contract, out of those players only Kasiano and Lee should be retained that would leave us with 2 million dollars in cap space from those players alone + 800k from previous season savings + Salary cap increase and we could be playing with upwards of 3.5 million dollars in cap space.

The following players are also coming off contract at the same time:

Halfbacks:
- Luke Keary
- Aiden Sezer
- Ashley Taylor
- James Maloney
- Brock Lamb
- Connor Watson

Outside Backs:
- Joesph Manu
- Nick Cotric
- Suliasi Vunivalu
- Josh Mansour

Forwards:
- George Burgess
- Junior Paulo
- Coen Hess
- Ethan Lowe
- Tevita Pangai
- Elijah Taylor

So we could rebuild our squad out of the following players plus our current core of young players and enter another premiership window as such. Again this thread is intended to gather the opinion of others members and doesn't reflect my views on this topic entirely.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ash Taylor looks good, and if you get him this early he wont be commanding massive dollars. Hopefully the Titans have an average season so he doesn't stand out much.

Klemhammer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like Connor Watson but he isn't a need here, Brock lamb is solid for his age he is a great tackler and kicker would be nice to have him, unlikely though

Coen Hess I'd sign for 600-700k a year, he is origin material same as aitken

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the right CEO and coach we should start rebuilding (in all honesty shouldn't have kept Tolman so far out)

Like other have mentioned it is an aging roster and lot of the players are on good coin (think graham, Morrisx2) so with the cap rise around the corner we can be a solid force in the transfer market, as long as we have a coach that knows how to build a team (not Hasler bashing again but he seems to build a game plan around a team, he doesn't seem to be a big player in the recruitment market). And the other important thing is having a CEO that has the knowledge and know how to get players into the team.

In all honesty (again not Hasler bashing or raelene bombing) but neither has showed me they can achieve this so far.

Hopefully they can prove me wrong and make us a top 4 team again because for the last 4 years we have been making up the numbers more or less.

I would be happy with a few more rep quality players (be it recruits or juniors).

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brodie Croft .. THAT IS ALL!
I sort of watched him over the last few years, he’s a freak an absolute clone of Cooper Cronk,” Johns said.
Johns nominated Melbourne Storm half 19 year old Brodie Croft as the player to watch, saying he had “superstar” written all over him.
Matty Johns says the Melbourne Storm have the best kept secret in the competition in their ranks.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, cant see Bellamy letting Croft go though.

I just cant see Brooks improving that much for what $$ he'd command.

Brock Lamb & Ash Taylor seem like theyd have a big future ahead of them.

Coen Hess yep, id take him. 600-700 a year though hmmm...... Not that coin

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I think our squad is solid just a halfback and a fullback is all we need.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think our squad is solid just a halfback and a fullback is all we need.
Brodie Croft is the Half Back we need, only 19 and a clone of Cooper Cronk. You could build a team around players like Croft/Mbye

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Crofts going nowhere, Taylor will get picked up by the Cowboys to replace Thurston.

Cleary should be our target for 2019. In the meantime, attempt to use Frawley or another no name, no frills half

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that to win a Comp we need a genuine and reputable spine... We don't have one at present.

Sure, we are competitive, but that alone is not going to win us Premierships.

For the sake of an opinion on halves, Brooks has gone backwards in his development, Moses looks the better proposition... Sezer is a very consistent footballer with a great kicking game and goal kicking ability.
Ash Taylor is a gun. Connor Watson is more of a running half and not so much a tactician/organiser/kicker..

There's plenty of talent in the outside backs, not so much fullbacks and hookers.

Tedesco in my opinion is the best fullback in the NRL. He would be very difficult to get on board.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First I just wanna say that these thread doesn't reflect my opinions and more so to see were my fellow kennelers stand on this topic.

Our current squad has arguably exited its premiership window and that is due to the fact that most of our squad has either passed its peak or yet to enter it. And also we have alot of gaping holes in the team.

We have Reynolds, Hopoate and Lichaa coming off contract at the end of this season and the only one I'd re-sign is Lichaa if he can continue to improve as he has been this season. And because we are assuming we are in a rebuilding stage we would limit our signing to players that are coming over as depth or if we get the chance to sign a superstar (Tedesco and Bird are the only ones left and neither are looking likely atm). And we should use 2018 as a make or break year for the other players, so Abbey should be given an extended run in first grade and we should use the chance to blood in players like Miller and Strickland.

1. Abbey
2. Montoya
3. Lee
4. Jmoz
5. Bmoz
6. Mbye
7. Frawley
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Graham
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Klemmer

14. Kasiano
15. Eastwood
16. Miller
17. Strickland

At the end of 2018 we would have a clear view of whether Abbey has developed enough to be a long term fullback, If Mbye can fulfill his potential as a 5/8 and whether Strickland and Miller are up for first grade.

Then at the end of 2018 we have Jmoz, Bmoz, Eastwood, Graham, Kasiano and Lee coming off contract, out of those players only Kasiano and Lee should be retained that would leave us with 2 million dollars in cap space from those players alone + 800k from previous season savings + Salary cap increase and we could be playing with upwards of 3.5 million dollars in cap space.

Halfbacks:
- Luke Keary
- Aiden Sezer
- Ashley Taylor
- James Maloney
- Brock Lamb
- Connor Watson

Outside Backs:
- Joesph Manu
- Nick Cotric
- Suliasi Vunivalu
- Josh Mansour

Forwards:
- George Burgess
- Junior Paulo
- Coen Hess
- Ethan Lowe
- Tevita Pangai
- Elijah Taylor

So we could rebuild our squad out of the following players plus our current core of young players and enter another premiership window as such. Again this thread is intended to gather the opinion of others members and doesn't reflect my views on this topic entirely.
Firstly we need to give the current roster a chance to prove themselves under the current style that we are suppose to be playing we should have indication by 6-8 weeks, in the meantime the coach and the recruitment team should have a fair idea what positions needs to be addressed therefore it's their job to keep an eye on what is available on the market.
this is how we clear the unwanted players then we can spent what salary cap available on the right players !
( It's time to revolutionise the team )

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crofts going nowhere, Taylor will get picked up by the Cowboys to replace Thurston.
Apparently the Broncos are pushing hard for Taylor to return now that Hunts packed his bags.
Imo opinion, I think that Bennett will retire end of next season which will make the donkeys a less attractive outfit for a player like Taylor who will be leaving to join a club with a "long term plan" hence why convincing him of a rebuild may draw him in + the money.

The cowboys are a weird one tbh because apparently Thurston wants to play on for 2019 and possibly 2020 which would all but rule out any chance of Taylor.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With the right CEO and coach we should start rebuilding (in all honesty shouldn't have kept Tolman so far out)

Like other have mentioned it is an aging roster and lot of the players are on good coin (think graham, Morrisx2) so with the cap rise around the corner we can be a solid force in the transfer market, as long as we have a coach that knows how to build a team (not Hasler bashing again but he seems to build a game plan around a team, he doesn't seem to be a big player in the recruitment market). And the other important thing is having a CEO that has the knowledge and know how to get players into the team.

In all honesty (again not Hasler bashing or raelene bombing) but neither has showed me they can achieve this so far.

Hopefully they can prove me wrong and make us a top 4 team again because for the last 4 years we have been making up the numbers more or less.

I would be happy with a few more rep quality players (be it recruits or juniors).
Yea I agree with everything you said. First we need a CEO that understands the game (Raelenes biggest problem) and that makes football decisions first and foremost. I agree with the Hasler thing were I don't think his good at building a team but he knows how to build a gameplan around the players.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

1. Abbey
2. Montoya
3. Lee
4. Jmoz
5. Bmoz
6. Mbye
7. Frawley
8. Tolman
9. Lichaa
10. Graham
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Klemmer

14. Kasiano
15. Eastwood
16. Miller
17. Strickland

Halfbacks:
- Luke Keary
- Aiden Sezer
- Ashley Taylor
- James Maloney
- Brock Lamb
- Connor Watson

Outside Backs:
- Joesph Manu
- Nick Cotric
- Suliasi Vunivalu
- Josh Mansour

Forwards:
- George Burgess
- Junior Paulo
- Coen Hess
- Ethan Lowe
- Tevita Pangai
- Elijah Taylor

Plenty of good backs around soon. I want Dylan Edwards he looks the goods. Wanted Taylor when he was a free agent, but apparently he was shit lol... As for the other forwards Papalii is a must imo. Either way a rebuild is 100% on the cards.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Challenge !!!

- Somebody do up a spreadsheet of players (first grade and HC)
- Have columns 2017 / 18 / 19 / 20.
- Put an "X" in relevant column for every player

Only THEN can you discuss this madness properly, and we all have a visual guide to work with when estimating available cap-space.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should really target Panthers and Roosters junior teams because there are so many high potential players there stuck behind established first graders.

- Joesph Manu
- Grant Garvey
- Tryone May
- Dylan Edwards

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Start at the top. Paul Dunn for CEO. He was interviewed last time but Turveys weight got Castle the job. Time for Dunn to take over as CEO now. Then get Dean Pay as coach.

Then rebuild the team. Mbye can be retained as 5/8...only if he improves. Reynold let go. We look to get Brodie Croft or Ash Taylor at all costs. Forget Foran. Lichha can be retained but MUST be taught to kick..both grubbers and longer range... as a dummy half that cant kick is a liability. Next year we let both Morrises go. Lee to be retained. Holland defence questionable but could be a reliable finisher and goal kicker. Montoya retained.

Tolman to be moved on. Graham retained for 2 more years and his role in the team changed. He becomes a our lock and we redefine lock to be a rover role like in the days of Price and Langmack. Eastwood to be let go. Otherwise Jackson becomes our rover lock. Theres plenty of good young tall 2nd rowers coming through the lower grades. Talent spotting juniors and not paying overs for 2nd rowers the key. Would rather unearth a raw talent than pay 600k for a Tyson Frizell. Abbey given every chance and if he doesnt come good, go all out for Tedesco or Holmes. Hopoate retained as a centre only if he plays Sundays otherwise he goes as well.

This team is achievable with cap space to spend on a prop and established 2nd rower.

To achieve a premiership winning team within the confines of the cap you must be able to recruit young players who cant command big coin yet. So its critical Lichha and Lee keep improving. Mbye overpaid so must be moved to a position where he can shine, otherwise its valuable cap space wasted and defers the date where we can realistically win.

I agree though, our window has passed with our present squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.