Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye at centre and Frawley at 7 but it won't happen

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did cronk and smith get a lot of game time? I wasn't home when the game was on.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Garvey couldn't organise a root in a brothel licha still doesn't know what to do under pressure just runs in a circle and passes to the worst bloke possible abbey is rubbish just like remis smith butter fingers so I guess we won't here give them a run anymore thats probably why abbey never gets a crack he cant tackle lol tbh pretty keen for round 1 despite the poor defensive efforts. go doggs
Some of you people are just bitter I think. Lichaa played very well. His service from DH was quick, it went to the halves when it needed to, he made a few runs from dummy half to get the sets rolling and the only time he went in a circle was when there was broken play and he had no options. Abbey could have done more to press his claims but the bounce of the ball was against him. I wouldn't sell him out on that 20 minutes. In any event Hoppa played well so the FB position is a lock for him. Overall it was a good trial with our question mark players all going well, particularly holland and Lee. The Mozzes did their job and RFM looked good when he came off the bench. We outplayed them when it mattered. In second half there were too many rolling on and off to get a line on anything that happened.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Made some slight changes to our attacking formations, nothing as major as i would of liked though. Forwards not really running any smart lines but we seem to be running in numbers a little more and with more players pushing up in support. Halves were positioned slightly more infield and getting the ball in their hands a little more with some more space but still playing a similar role to last season. Des still wants to play around teams so we will likely struggle against the usual rushing defence unless Des has something else up his sleeve. Still early days though..

No idea why we are still playing Eastwood out wide, just a waste of everyones time. Only one of Holland and Lee should be on the right edge, both make poor wingers and are shit under the ball. Kas spent way too much time out wide, done some very good things there but we need him through the middle a little more often imo. Garvey is shit. Really shit. No idea why he had a run ahead of Woolford unless he didn't play last week?

There was enough there to get me slightly interested in the season and give me a lil hope that things might be better this time round...still a few things there that i didn't really like adn were kinda just more of the same from last year.
I pretty much saw it this way as well. Attack was better - better than the shit last year so that's not saying much - - what was disappointing was the very soft defence at times.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good to see the team run in numbers and passes stuck
Made some slight changes to our attacking formations, nothing as major as i would of liked though. Forwards not really running any smart lines but we seem to be running in numbers a little more and with more players pushing up in support. Halves were positioned slightly more infield and getting the ball in their hands a little more with some more space but still playing a similar role to last season. Des still wants to play around teams so we will likely struggle against the usual rushing defence unless Des has something else up his sleeve. Still early days though..

No idea why we are still playing Eastwood out wide, just a waste of everyones time. Only one of Holland and Lee should be on the right edge, both make poor wingers and are shit under the ball. Kas spent way too much time out wide, done some very good things there but we need him through the middle a little more often imo. Garvey is shit. Really shit. No idea why he had a run ahead of Woolford unless he didn't play last week?

There was enough there to get me slightly interested in the season and give me a lil hope that things might be better this time round...still a few things there that i didn't really like adn were kinda just more of the same from last year.
Kas played longer mins hence the out wide part.

Lichaa MOM, Hoppa had a very strong game. Would want him as FB if he can play like that every week.

Forwards were dominant for a change.

Holland wasn't to bad but would love to see Montoya and Lee down the right side if we can find another kicker besides Holland who was a sniper today.

Good to see passes stick and hands like 2012.

And Reynolds played well, Always questioning the defence.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I pretty much saw it this way as well. Attack was better - better than the shit last year so that's not saying much - - what was disappointing was the very soft defence at times.
Soft defence came from Garvey and the fact Melbourne played 2 teams so they had a fresh team towards the back end hence the come back.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Holland, Garvey and Abbey are not NRL standard.

N

Natboy

Reynolds played pretty good hey

Brycycles94

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some of you people are just bitter I think. Lichaa played very well. His service from DH was quick, it went to the halves when it needed to, he made a few runs from dummy half to get the sets rolling and the only time he went in a circle was when there was broken play and he had no options. Abbey could have done more to press his claims but the bounce of the ball was against him. I wouldn't sell him out on that 20 minutes. In any event Hoppa played well so the FB position is a lock for him. Overall it was a good trial with our question mark players all going well, particularly holland and Lee. The Mozzes did their job and RFM looked good when he came off the bench. We outplayed them when it mattered. In second half there were too many rolling on and off to get a line on anything that happened.
Nobody said licha played bad but if your gonna step up your game its also important to take the little things to like when he ran in circles since his joined the club we've seen it multiple times i thought he played great overall as did the team I'm just saying that's something he should work on more we have big forwards always offloading the ball and he is likely gonna come across the situation again he could be throwing the ball a bit further and making something out of it
But I was pleased how we played most of the game Garvey my opinion hasn't changed and neither for abbey he's been with the club for 2 years and hasnt been all that great could sign some other kid that's wants a crack a fg and they would take the opportunity with both hands IMO abbey is a waste well at least for the dogs who knows could be great with another team

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sound so like there are some promising signs today. I still get a massive lump in my hut when I think of Hoppa at 1. Please someone tell me he will play Sundays? If not he has absolutely no business at fullback and it will gone back and hire us at some point in the season.

Great to hear we seem to have tweaked a few things though. I'll be interested to see round 1.

N

Natboy

My thoughts on what I saw (from Reynolds try onwards).

1 Will Hopoate - Played well. Promising signs.
2 Brett Morris - Carved up on wing and scored a really nice try.
3 Josh Morris - Solid game and provided good service to his brother.
4 Brenko Lee - Played REALLY well. Will give us some real spark on that side of the field.
5 Kerrod Holland - Is this the same Holland who played last year? Had one of the best games I've seen him play. Could form a dangerous combination with Brenko over time. Threw a nice flick pass to put Montoya over later in the game.
6 Josh Reynolds - All over the place, getting involved in attack and defence. Scored a really nice try early on.
7 Moses Mbye - By time I tuned in he was gone.
8 Aiden Tolman - Solid as always and didn't get in the way like normal.
9 Michael Lichaa - His passing has improved since last year. Threw a beauty of a ball to put Kas over, as well as a few other really nice passes.
10 James Graham (c) - See Tolman
11 Josh Jackson - Didn't see much of Jacko.
12 Greg Eastwood - Saw him absolute iron out (I think it was Munster). Solid legal hit too. Almost broke the line a few times.
13 David Klemmer - Had an impact when he came on, got injured, went off for 30, came back later for 10 then back off.

14 Sam Kasiano - He's going to be dangerous this year, and I have a feeling he'll be a lurking lock and play a roaming role both sides of the ruck. Watch out other sides, Dogzilla is primed.
15 Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Instant impact when he came on. Just needs to be careful to number up in defence.
16 Danny Fualalo - Shirt grabbing resulted in a try from a bad miss. Still young but needs time in NSW Cup.
17 Francis Tualau - Played quite well from what I saw. When he develops an offload could cause some problems for defence.
20 Brad Abbey - Made one mistake (fumbled a terrible kick) leading to a try. Did make a try saving tackle though. Very green and needs time in NSW Cup.. Promising signs though.
21 Craig Garvey - Yeah Garvey at this point in time I'd rate below Woolford (WHERE IS HE???) and below Joey Tramontana in NYC. He's got the ability, but just isn't hitting his strides.
22 Matt Frawley - Really stepped up and is stamping his name for a shot in first grade. Some nice kicks, kept defence guessing, and really controlled the field nicely. Smokey for first grade halves.
23 Marcelo Montoya - Didn't get much game time but scored off a cracking Holland flick pass.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: There has definitely been some work on our attack. We look far more fluent with the ball now, and are willing to throw it around, inside, and create some nice lines and chances. Kicks in general play are back too. It seems Des has loosened the screws and let them play a bit more adlib.

I still don't believe that was the full Bulldogs performance, and that Des has something else up his sleeve. If that's the case, I'm excited to see where this leads.
Pretty good summation mate

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My thoughts on what I saw (from Reynolds try onwards).

1 Will Hopoate - Played well. Promising signs.
2 Brett Morris - Carved up on wing and scored a really nice try.
3 Josh Morris - Solid game and provided good service to his brother.
4 Brenko Lee - Played REALLY well. Will give us some real spark on that side of the field.
5 Kerrod Holland - Is this the same Holland who played last year? Had one of the best games I've seen him play. Could form a dangerous combination with Brenko over time. Threw a nice flick pass to put Montoya over later in the game.
6 Josh Reynolds - All over the place, getting involved in attack and defence. Scored a really nice try early on.
7 Moses Mbye - By time I tuned in he was gone.
8 Aiden Tolman - Solid as always and didn't get in the way like normal.
9 Michael Lichaa - His passing has improved since last year. Threw a beauty of a ball to put Kas over, as well as a few other really nice passes.
10 James Graham (c) - See Tolman
11 Josh Jackson - Didn't see much of Jacko.
12 Greg Eastwood - Saw him absolute iron out (I think it was Munster). Solid legal hit too. Almost broke the line a few times.
13 David Klemmer - Had an impact when he came on, got injured, went off for 30, came back later for 10 then back off.

14 Sam Kasiano - He's going to be dangerous this year, and I have a feeling he'll be a lurking lock and play a roaming role both sides of the ruck. Watch out other sides, Dogzilla is primed.
15 Raymond Faitala-Mariner - Instant impact when he came on. Just needs to be careful to number up in defence.
16 Danny Fualalo - Shirt grabbing resulted in a try from a bad miss. Still young but needs time in NSW Cup.
17 Francis Tualau - Played quite well from what I saw. When he develops an offload could cause some problems for defence.
20 Brad Abbey - Made one mistake (fumbled a terrible kick) leading to a try. Did make a try saving tackle though. Very green and needs time in NSW Cup.. Promising signs though.
21 Craig Garvey - Yeah Garvey at this point in time I'd rate below Woolford (WHERE IS HE???) and below Joey Tramontana in NYC. He's got the ability, but just isn't hitting his strides.
22 Matt Frawley - Really stepped up and is stamping his name for a shot in first grade. Some nice kicks, kept defence guessing, and really controlled the field nicely. Smokey for first grade halves.
23 Marcelo Montoya - Didn't get much game time but scored off a cracking Holland flick pass.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: There has definitely been some work on our attack. We look far more fluent with the ball now, and are willing to throw it around, inside, and create some nice lines and chances. Kicks in general play are back too. It seems Des has loosened the screws and let them play a bit more adlib.

I still don't believe that was the full Bulldogs performance, and that Des has something else up his sleeve. If that's the case, I'm excited to see where this leads.
Yep that's what I saw too but I wonder if des let them loose to gauge individual players over actually trialling his game plan. We all know his game plan.

Sadly I don't think we'll see this type of play during the season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good to see the team run in numbers and passes stuck

Kas played longer mins hence the out wide part.

Lichaa MOM, Hoppa had a very strong game. Would want him as FB if he can play like that every week.

Forwards were dominant for a change.

Holland wasn't to bad but would love to see Montoya and Lee down the right side if we can find another kicker besides Holland who was a sniper today.

Good to see passes stick and hands like 2012.

And Reynolds played well, Always questioning the defence.
Storm were bog average for large periods of the game though, there line speed was pathetic compared to last season. They made it easy for us to dominate them because of it. I really don't think the chain passing will be anywhere near as effective come NRL time and that could cause problems for us...but we will see i guess.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sound so like there are some promising signs today. I still get a massive lump in my hut when I think of Hoppa at 1. Please someone tell me he will play Sundays? If not he has absolutely no business at fullback and it will gone back and hire us at some point in the season.

Great to hear we seem to have tweaked a few things though. I'll be interested to see round 1.
He was one of our better players today. He chimed into the backline fairly well at times and his kick returns were strong. He also looked quicker but that could of been because of the choppy stream lol

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Storm were bog average for large periods of the game though, there line speed was pathetic compared to last season. They made it easy for us to dominate them because of it. I really don't think the chain passing will be anywhere near as effective come NRL time and that could cause problems for us...but we will see i guess.
Your right, Melb were shocking. You could tell when Smith and Cronk hooked themselves that they didn't want to be out there.

Either way it was good to see the dogs get stuck in from dot1.

Mbye had one of those games again.

Status
Not open for further replies.