Bulldogs Auckland Nines Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
i was at Eden park today, three players stood out

1. Tyrone Phillips - our best on field 2 years in a row, he actually has pace and his nuggety frame and running style makes him elusive, should definitely have a wing spot next year

2. Lichaa - I found myself watching only him when he was on, the same old shit from him he really needs to fuck off, just awful vision, shit service, 2 steps towards defensive line then lollypop pass to a flat footed forward who has to stop to avoid passing him, just utter shit, stoppped all momentum when he was on. At the fan day i asked him how Woolford was going and he almost cried.

3. fucking Abbey - no defense at all, got into space and dropped it 3 meters out, i really want to like this guy but he hasnt developed at all.
Eh?? I watched both games...

Phillips missed 2 tackles which lead directly to tries. When he's not missing tackles he was out of position. Add Reimis Smith to that list as well, but at least he scored a try.

Lichaa and Garvey are both fucking shit and showed it today. Garvey couldn't hold a ball and Lichaa must have had concrete boots cause he couldn't run and could only pass to the guy next to him.

Abbey was fine. A fullback should only ever be the last line of defence. When you have guys like Lewis, Smith and Phillips who can't tackle for shit, it leaves overlaps... when you have 2 players and one fullback, it's a tad hard to tackle both players and prevent a try. His break was first class and his pace and footwork are things you can't teach. End half of season in NSW Cup last year his defence had improved out of sight and he was really good. That's 13 vs 13 with players staying in position!

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
anyone know whats happening with Richard Kennar is he Injured or in the mix for a first grade spot & that's why he wasn't taken with the squad?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
anyone know whats happening with Richard Kennar is he Injured or in the mix for a first grade spot & that's why he wasn't taken with the squad?
I read in article he's injured, won't be fit for the beginning of the season.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We so wanted our young guns and new buys to stand up. None stood up. I know it was only 9s but we needed these guys to apply pressure to the incumbents many are who are now incompetent. At this stage it looks as though Cleal has had the last laugh. Not only stealing 500000 grand a year as 'recruitment officer' but snaring us a bunch of very ordinary players to ensure our 1st grade and Nsw cup are destined for very ordinary seasons again. I hope I am wrong but the guys today looked like they only met this morning. Embarrassing.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This comp is rubbish but it does show how little flair we have in the club and most importantly within junior ranks

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was the lack of footy IQ today that stood out for me. The decision making was appalling. No footy sense at all. No team work.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The club knows we will fuck up in regular nrl season so why not try win the nines and give the fans something to cheer about by sending the strongest possible squad. But no des knows what he's doing and doesn't want to risk injury. Des you are An absolute shit ****. Fuck off.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Fair enough but wouldn't you want the club to show they want to be competitive by coming out with a winning attitude! Why is Parramatta and Arthur taking this so serious and not us! I want that attitude back in our club!
I want a winning attitude as well but I just don't think a pre season comp that is so different in structure to actual premiership footy should be a major priority. Our priority should be tweaking our structures and getting something fresh and new in place for the coming premiership season.... sadly I don't know we're going to see much different on the field this year either.

But as far as the nines go.... the cowboys actually won the comp the year after they won them, not the same year.... and they'd had a squad that looked capable for years. Souths went backwards after winning them..... ran out of puff. It's good to see up and comers putting in solid efforts to impress and maybe there wasn't much sign of that here.... I don't know. Haven't watched any of the games. But the 9s themselves aren't too much of a concern for me personally....

I have plenty of footy related concerns, don't get me wrong....fringe player who look hopeless and rudderless; a concern...the idea most of the refs probably own voodoo dolls of our players; big concern. Michael Lichaa; red flag concern, the possibility Des may be completely over it and not give a shit and is a stubborn prick who is too resistant to change in any case; biggest concern of all....

I've got enough to worry about already without even thinking about the 9's tbh haha

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Growing up and playing sport like everyone else one thing you learn is winning is an attitude! If your in a comp it doesn't even matter if it was the lamest thing, if you're in it your attitude is I have to win no matter what! If the attitude is who gives a flying fu**, then during the season and I don't care what anyone says you will have a drop in attitude! This is really pathetic and embarrassing...
Hey Dogzof95, the bit I highlighted has summed up both the Bulldogs past and future.

The Cowboys and Rabbitohs have won a 9s comp and also have taken out a premiership. If that little stat doesn't back up your opinion I don't know what would.

As far as the Bulldogs are concerned our head coach, The Hasbeen, doesn't bother going, our squad's style op play is pedestrian and the other clubs juniors, reserves and first graders all out perform ours.

My personal summing up of the season:

1. 9s we get shat on (shat is the past tense of the verb "to shit")
2. Trial matches are ordinary
3. Main season: Each week I have unfounded hope that "this time we'll fire up and win it". But as this is my 56th year of following the Berries / Bulldogs reality tells me it will be another season of:

An easy beat pack
No go forward thanks to a crap dummy half
Lousy mid field defence
We get creamed in defence
No set plays or variation in attack because we've got no attack
No kicking game
No 5th tackle options

And then at the full time hooter "Fuck 'em. Why do I bother".

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In attack renouf toumaga was a gun
In defence he was meh
But so were the other 14 players impersonating pro footy players today

Renouf should have the first bench spot ASAP

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Brett Morris
2. Will Hopoate
3. Josh Morris
4. Brenko Lee
5. Richard Kennar/Montoya
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Moses Mbye
8. David Klemmer
9. Zac Woolford
10. James Graham
11. Raymond faitala-Mariner
12. Josh Jackson
13. Greg Eastwood
Interchange:
14. Josh Cleeland
15. Sam Kasiano
16. Renouf To' omaga
17. Francis Tualau
Your not worried about:

1. Bmoz breaking
2. Woolford not being ready (still gun. I rate him though)
3. Cleeland as an impact? I dont see it in him.

I guess we dunno the line up until round 1. But i prefer eastwood at lock..... time will tell

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want a winning attitude as well but I just don't think a pre season comp that is so different in structure to actual premiership footy should be a major priority. Our priority should be tweaking our structures and getting something fresh and new in place for the coming premiership season.... sadly I don't know we're going to see much different on the field this year either.

But as far as the nines go.... the cowboys actually won the comp the year after they won them, not the same year.... and they'd had a squad that looked capable for years. Souths went backwards after winning them..... ran out of puff. It's good to see up and comers putting in solid efforts to impress and maybe there wasn't much sign of that here.... I don't know. Haven't watched any of the games. But the 9s themselves aren't too much of a concern for me personally....

I have plenty of footy related concerns, don't get me wrong....fringe player who look hopeless and rudderless; a concern...the idea most of the refs probably own voodoo dolls of our players; big concern. Michael Lichaa; red flag concern, the possibility Des may be completely over it and not give a shit and is a stubborn prick who is too resistant to change in any case; biggest concern of all....

I've got enough to worry about already without even thinking about the 9's tbh haha
l
I hope hasler and the players come out and prove all the doubters (me included) wrong and they put in a consistent season where all the fans can enjoy the style the Bulldogs play again, we get to the finals and give it a good shake! But deadset I mean we've been training since November and as others have mentioned we played like we've just met! No set plays, no discipline (I don't know how anyone would tell Sam to run straight and hard, and offload when it's on) their probably scared he might eat them and put the weight again... The performances have been like we don't really care and they probably don't! But again, like others have mentioned have some respect for the jersey and at least make it look like your putting in.

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Morris is still the bulldogs best option at fullback.
If lichaa was ready two years ago to play first grade, then woolford is definitely ready.
Cleeland to give woolford some support, come on for some short spells, he has a good running game.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Morris is still the bulldogs best option at fullback.
If lichaa was ready two years ago to play first grade, then woolford is definitely ready.
Cleeland to give woolford some support, come on for some short spells, he has a good running game.
Fair opinion.... but you didnt include tolman..... lol we just re-signed him for years i doubt he will be left out

Status
Not open for further replies.