Will there be any changes in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to Zero Tackle the Bulldogs have signed Tom Carr, Josh Cleeland, Richard Kennar, Brenko Lee, Rhyse Martin, Francis Tualau, Zac Woolford along with mid season pick ups Lachlan Lewis, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Asipeli Fine. Lewis, Cleeland, Kennar, Lee and Carr being backs, Tualau a prop, Woolford hooker with Martin, Faitala-mariner and Fine being second rowers

We also had the off season Ray Dib Show after which Dib took enough time to get his tongue out of Hasler's arse to tell us "things would change" with Hasler given 10 weeks to play a different brand of football and0 turn the Bulldogs into genuine premiership contenders.

What we have is Hasler still our coach, Graham still our captain and our forward roster still basically the same.

Personally I can't see any change at all, but that's just me. How about you Kennelers out there give your opinion to whether we will or whether we won't have a change to the better in 2017.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spine is the issue. It hasn't helped our out dated game plan of having the halves get the ball with the defence on them flat footed and not deep being obvious to everyone but Hasler
Let mbye and Reynolds get the ball first up with players coming from depth and in motion would be a change and possibly see the team score more points

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Spine is the issue. It hasn't helped our out dated game plan of having the halves get the ball with the defence on them flat footed and not deep being obvious to everyone but Hasler
Let mbye and Reynolds get the ball first up with players coming from depth and in motion would be a change and possibly see the team score more points
Did you see against knights I believe. Mybe was first receiver and got 3 consecutive dropouts. It shows he is capable of being a halfback but we need to let him play like a half.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The sad thing is that I think we could have finished better last year if a couple of things were better.

DH service. I don't want to question Lichaas ability again but in hindsight from last season I'd say that his three step run before passing means that he often just resorts to throwing another ball to a forward before the defense hits him.

6 & 7. Reynolds was more composed this year and seemed to be working on his kicking game. Hopefully we see a vast improvement in his short range attacking kicks, and he used to get some 40/20's too. Would be nice if he improves here. Mbye is lightning quick and shows occasional flashes of quality. I'd like to see him looking to get involved and also improve his kicking game.

1. A part time fullback is a terrible idea. I think its time to send that idea away and develop our best prospect from the trials.

Props. Graham- needs his aggression back and to go back to ball playing before the line. Any team looks better if they're getting quality ball from second phase play.

Kasiano. Fitness, fitness, fitness. He has all the ability in the world. He's as big as they make people and has natural explosive power coupled with moderate pace for a goliath. I just want 5-10 more effective minutes of his stints.

Tolman- He's always been a workhorse. He always will be. I'd like more leg drive from him so he's able to make 1-2 metres more with every tackle, but I honestly think a lot of the issues we've had in our pack can be easily improved if they get earlier ball service.

Klemmer- I just hope he's got improvement left. Already a great player.

Our second row is shuffling and had been since last year. I'm glad Williams has moved on. Between RFM, Eastwood and Jackson I think we should be ok for starters. We are low in proven depth though. Time for some youngsters to demand the coaching staff take notice of them.

Our backline is a couple of Morris injuries and a Sunday away from being classed as an all rookie outfit (Holland and Stanley have played enough to avoid the rookie label but they're both questionable, Stanley for durability, and Holland took some small steps backwards in defense and lost his confidence in attack too) I hope our juniors are ready for the chances they will get this year.

We do have some potential dark horse players. Cleeland supposedly offers a strong kicking game. We have some backs with potential, and we can usually pull decent forwards at worst from our juniors provided the injury list isn't massively crowded.

Will we see change. You bet. Big player turnover for us composed to recent seasons. Our roster will take some getting used to next year and each new face that hits the big stage will provide something different. How much the game plan changes is anyone guess, but our roster shuffle will bring change.

Last edited:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apart from a few positions, because of the departures, there will be no change.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
we have no strike in our backline and between the 2 Morris's and Stanley we'd have the most injury prone backline in the NRL (chuck in Hoppa's no sundays we'd have the most disrupted backline with changes due to injury and Hoppa flexies)....looking at the team all the cash is still tied up in the forwards so I cant see anything other than a forward dominated game plan again

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When you critically examine the past couple of seasons, there just has to be changes.
I think we all agree that Supercoach has been the biggest impediment to success.
There has been a fair few failures and they need to be addressed.
Hopoate is to slow and ponderous. I would play him in reserves in the 2nd row like the old coaches did and see how he goes.
I would try Abbey at Fullback. He is quick and has a lot of potential. Playing in the top grade will see that potential realised.
Mbye lacks the creativity of a top grade half. He has a lot of speed and does his share of tackling. I would pay him in the centres.
I would promote Cleeland to 1/2. I know he is only a kid, but he has traits that the others lack. Good defence, good attack and a good kicking game.
Lichaa is not cutting it at all. I would play Woolford as hooker. He has a good kicking game, can tackle and is a good dummy half.
I would leave Reynolds at 6. He just needs more support players and he will be good.
I see Graham being wasted as a starting prop. The early defensive work takes its toll on him. Bring him on after 20 minutes like he did at the start.
Start Klemmer at prop. He has become one dimensional, and doesnt offer much off the bench. Tolman as his starting partner.
Eastwood to start at 2nd row with Jackson. Lock is a problem with Martin, Fine and RFM all in contention.
Kasiano off the bench with Kennar. The rest is a lottery.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like to see Hoppa play on Sundays and we sort out our forward rotations. Eastwood isn't the best option on the left edge IMO so it will be interesting if Martin gets a chance to start. From what i've heard he's been recruited for first team not NSW Cup so hopefully he lights up the 9's and trials.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Would like to see Hoppa play on Sundays and we sort out our forward rotations. Eastwood isn't the best option on the left edge IMO so it will be interesting if Martin gets a chance to start. From what i've heard he's been recruited for first team not NSW Cup so hopefully he lights up the 9's and trials.
Thanks for reminding me that we re-signed Eastwood.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me that we re-signed Eastwood.
If recruitment had any vision they would have let Eastwood go and made a play for Matulino. He's not happy being on the bench and has always killed it when played as an edge forward.

Eastwood at this stage in his career should come off the bench and not be one of our starters

Status
Not open for further replies.