Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib says Des Hasler will be coach next season, slams club legend Steve Mortime

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CANTERBURY chairman Ray Dib has guaranteed Des Hasler will be head coach next season and plans to censure club legend Steve Mortimer for saying the Bulldogs were “losing our DNA’’.

Some iron-willed directors want to extend Hasler’s contract to the end of 2019, while others want Hasler gone.

The drama will come to a head at a 4pm board on Friday as the club attempts to resolve an issue that has split the ‘family club’.

Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib has given his backing to Des Hasler. Pic: Gregg Porteous.

Dib was upset that Mortimer broke ranks to publicly to claim he would stand down as a director should the club re-sign Hasler.

“He was out of order,” Dib said.

Hasler declined to comment on Thursday. The Daily Telegraph understands he wouldn’t accept an extension offer that carried stipulations about finishing in the top four each season. Four members of Hasler’s staff have already been forced out.

The Daily Telegraph understands Dib wants to re-sign Hasler but other directors, including Mortimer, want the coach to quit.

“We’ve got unfinished business,” Dib told The Daily Telegraph. “I would like to see Des there for at least 2017, absolutely, if not longer.”

Dib refused to admit the contract dispute had become messy.

“When you say messy, what are you referring to?”

Dib was then told the contract to Hasler was offered, agreed on and then withdrawn after the season. The contract had even made it to Hasler’s lawyers.

The club’s board are split on whether Des should pack his bags. Pic: Adam Yip.

“I understand what you are saying but, to be fair, the coach is the most important employee of any club. You know what we’re doing? The board are having robust discussions. We will consider the options,” Dib said.

On Friday Dib will speak with Mortimer, who has threatened to walk away from his position if Hasler is handed a new contract.

“I think he has spoken out of order,” Dib said.

“I respect him as a passionate Hall of Famer of our club. He is passionate bloke. I don’t know why (he said it) but I’ll be catching up with him as well. I just need to hear his reasons and get some clarity over some of his comments. I haven’t seen the newspapers but I have heard a lot of rumours and heard what’s been said.”

Dib, who returned from a brief overseas trip on Thursday, has been in constant contact with Hasler.

Dib said he “absolutely’’ guaranteed Hasler will be coach next season.

“Des will be there for 2017, regardless, he will be there,’’ Dib said. “He is contracted. I would like to see Des there for at least 2017, absolutely, if not longer.

“(This) is a meeting for me to get up to speed with negotiations. I have been away. This was a meeting that was pre-planned so we will be updated by Raelene (Castle, CEO) about how things are progressing with Des and his management.

”Turvs” was out of order, according to Dib.

“He is a great coach but we haven’t had the success we wanted this year. We are disappointed in this year, so is Des and the players. No questions about that. We’ve got unfinished business, mate.

“But one thing I want to make very clear, the club is bigger than anyone. My motto is very simple, the club comes first, the team comes second, individuals come third, including Ray Dib, Des Hasler, Raelene Castle and the board. That’s the way I base my decisions and encourage board decisions — based on that motto.”

Dib was unwilling to guarantee Hasler’s two-year extension.

“I don’t know where the contract negotiations are up to. There has been a lot of talk and a lot of different negotiations that are continuing so I will get up-to-date.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/98fd185e6ad8acb9cbe29c60d06579f2

dogsfan103

Waterboy
Reaction score
And so he should be. Hasler has maintained success since the beginning. Any imbecile asking for his sacking should leave our club or stop watching footy. Just read the comments of other clubs fans since the rumours. All of them are laughing at us.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's Rae and now we have Ray! Please no more!

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And so he should be. Hasler has maintained success since the beginning. Any imbecile asking for his sacking should leave our club or stop watching footy. Just read the comments of other clubs fans since the rumours. All of them are laughing at us.
Imbecile, aye?
"Other fans" watch 1 or 2 Dogs games a year....... we watch at least 24. "Other fans" clearly know better.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“But one thing I want to make very clear, the club is bigger than anyone. My motto is very simple, the club comes first, the team comes second, individuals come third, including Ray Dib, Des Hasler, Raelene Castle and the board. That’s the way I base my decisions and encourage board decisions — based on that motto.”

This comment by Dibb, it's a fucking joke... Because he certainly is acting as if his bigger then all of them!

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Hasler stays on now with everything made public thanks to Mortimer, 2017 is going to be a train wreck of epic proportions.

We will not make 1 decent signing which will ensure 2018-2020 are all pathetic seasons as well

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

This comment by Dibb, it's a fucking joke... Because he certainly is acting as if his bigger then all of them!
He forgot to add that "the fans come last". Fuck these *****

Status
Not open for further replies.