Canterbury Bulldogs (Berries) footy cards from 1975

Status
Not open for further replies.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moved house just recently and found these old cards from 1975 while I was packing. They are quite large cards, probably 4 or 5 times bigger than the old Scanlons footy cards from the 80s that were popular. Anyway go the Berries and have a Rothmans!

berries1.jpg berries2.jpg

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least 8 of those players were 1club players

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wonder what they would be worth now?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those actual signatures or just printed on?
They're printed on. Would have been good if they were individually signed. My uncle gave them to me when I was a kid. Don't know too much else about the cards but *I think* he got them from Rothmans.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Mortimer looks like 10 years old
And Chris Anderson, love The Afro lol

Reactions: jof

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even the coach wore the jersey. Wow!!

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome find there. I'm guessing these are from 1976 as Bob McCarthy joined the club from souths and played for us for 2 seasons.
Steve Mortimer also made his debut that season n first grade.
I remember these cards quite well. They where nice quality portrait size which the club handed out around finals time. They would hand them out along with blue and white baloons, streamers and berries posters.
Ah those where the days.
A notible card you're missing if I'm not mistaken was that of Eric Hughes. A gun centre from england with speed to burn.
He was totally unrelated to the Hughes brothers. Was a commentators nightmare with all the Hughes names in the same team.
Imagine a current nightmare having 3 Tolman brothers joining out team and not related to Aiden. Only a Tolman name handling the footy in a set on.opposition line.
Who says we play a boring style?

Stinky Wizzleteats

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Is that the same Don Moseley that's on 2GB?

Not that I listen to that slop anymore.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Moved house just recently and found these old cards from 1975 while I was packing. They are quite large cards, probably 4 or 5 times bigger than the old Scanlons footy cards from the 80s that were popular. Anyway go the Berries and have a Rothmans!

View attachment 1316 View attachment 1317
I had a set of those card too but can't find them. Have a few of the old Scanlen's ones, some are worth some serious money too.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
good get mate.

i used to work for scanlens back in the late 90's and we had a locked room in the warehouse which contained a whole heap of footy cards and other goodies. i didnt have the balls to pinch any, though..

Reactions: jof

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know this is 2 years old but...

The cards with the long sleeves are from 1975 & the short sleeves are from 1976. If anybody is interested in selling theirs, please let me know. I am looking for:

1975 Rothmans

Chris Anderson, Graeme Hughes, Mark Hughes, Garry Hughes, Phil Charlton, Max Cole, Bill Noonan, Tom Gillogly, Geoff Connell, John Peek, Mick Adams, Malcolm Clift.

1976 Rothmans
Malcolm Clift, Tim Pickup, Peter Cassilles, Chris Anderson, Graeme Hughes, Garry Hughes, Mark Hughes, Eric Hughes, Don Moseley, Barry Phillis, Mick Ryan, Norm Thomas, Keith
Harris, Mick Adams, John Peek, Stan Cutler, Garry Dowling, Phil Young.

I am also looking for 2014 Picker Cards

1 Josh Morris, 2 Unknown, 3 Frank Pritchard, 4 Mitch Brown, 12 Krisnan Inu, 15 Reni Maitua

& 2016 Bulldog Breed Gold James Graham

& 2017 Bulldog Breed Gold Kerrod Holland

Last edited:

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is 2 years old but...

The cards with the long sleeves are from 1975 & the short sleeves are from 1976. If anybody is interested in selling theirs, please let me know.
I sold these cards shortly after I posted this. Turns out they were a set from 1976 according to the buyer who was quite a collector. I was missing one card from the set somehow - Eric Hughes. There were a few more cards than what I posted above.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1975.jpg 1976.jpg
I sold these cards shortly after I posted this. Turns out they were a set from 1976 according to the buyer who was quite a collector. I was missing one card from the set somehow - Eric Hughes. There were a few more cards than what I posted above.
The expert wasn't quite right. In the 1975 set the players had long sleeve jerseys. They issued another set in 1976 with a few different players & the jersey sleeves were short.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

View attachment 1316 View attachment 1317
Mate I can't get past Milo Kerrigan in your avatar! Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.