Improving our forwards momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the rumour now going around that Lichaa is being shopped around it raises some questions for me.

I've watched Lichaa for two seasons now and notice that he rarely passes early to a forward who is steaming onto the ball. Most of the time he makes a three foot run, turns and passes to a forward who has to slow down to avoid getting in front of him. This often results in our forwards being on the end of something close to a hospital pass.

Now I watch Klemmer and Eastwood who probably have the most acceleration out of our middle men. They can still make impact in games where Graham and Tolman often get creamed. I think its because they have the ability to add a touch more pace after getting the ball.

Lichaa is the first link in the chain of play and our forwards have declined in dominance since Ennis left. I have to wonder if a big part of that is because Lichaa just won't give them early ball.

Not trying to bash Lichaa, I just don't think he needs to take three steps out of marker every time he passes the ball. I do get annoyed with watching him run to a metre short of the line to pop our props a hospital pass. Ennis may not have been creative here, but our forwards dominated while he was our 9 and he mostly just gave them good early ball which allowed them to hit pace before hitting the defense.

I do think that Lichaa q touches of quality in his game, but I want to see him learn to pass off the ground and only make scoots from DH when the defense is napping. The opposition can see right now that they just have to watch what side he scoots on and get ready to line up the prop who gets a late pass.

To me this makes sense. It's a simple thing to alter for Lichaa and if it means our pack gets back to the dominant force it was 2 years ago I think he needs to work hard at it.

I know people are going to Desbash and say he's to blame but this is how I see things with our dh service.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lichaa shouldn't be completely blamed for the forwards getting creamed. Ennis didn't get the our forwards dominating, some of the critiques you gave lichaa have been said about ennis while he was here.

It's our flat footy structure as well and tolman being largely ineffective. When standing flat, opponents an rush up.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
With the rumour now going around that Lichaa is being shopped around it raises some questions for me.

I've watched Lichaa for two seasons now and notice that he rarely passes early to a forward who is steaming onto the ball. Most of the time he makes a three foot run, turns and passes to a forward who has to slow down to avoid getting in front of him. This often results in our forwards being on the end of something close to a hospital pass.

Now I watch Klemmer and Eastwood who probably have the most acceleration out of our middle men. They can still make impact in games where Graham and Tolman often get creamed. I think its because they have the ability to add a touch more pace after getting the ball.

Lichaa is the first link in the chain of play and our forwards have declined in dominance since Ennis left. I have to wonder if a big part of that is because Lichaa just won't give them early ball.

Not trying to bash Lichaa, I just don't think he needs to take three steps out of marker every time he passes the ball. I do get annoyed with watching him run to a metre short of the line to pop our props a hospital pass. Ennis may not have been creative here, but our forwards dominated while he was our 9 and he mostly just gave them good early ball which allowed them to hit pace before hitting the defense.

I do think that Lichaa q touches of quality in his game, but I want to see him learn to pass off the ground and only make scoots from DH when the defense is napping. The opposition can see right now that they just have to watch what side he scoots on and get ready to line up the prop who gets a late pass.

To me this makes sense. It's a simple thing to alter for Lichaa and if it means our pack gets back to the dominant force it was 2 years ago I think he needs to work hard at it.

I know people are going to Desbash and say he's to blame but this is how I see things with our dh service.
I think it's good he takes a few steps before passing if lichaa just past of the ground our forwards will be flat footed they don't run on to the ball .

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
last nights game was harder to watcch than cows smashing

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know Sterling is not a forward but he used to tell his dummy half " pass the ball the first time or don't pass it at all "

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa shouldn't be completely blamed for the forwards getting creamed. Ennis didn't get the our forwards dominating, some of the critiques you gave lichaa have been said about ennis while he was here.

It's our flat footy structure as well and tolman being largely ineffective. When standing flat, opponents an rush up.
I'm not placing the blame on him completely. The forwards could time their runs better too. But I do often see them slow down to avoid over-running him. The flat style we play compounds this. At some point soon I'd like it sorted out.

Our pack is full of quality. They need to translate that to results. The first step is getting then running onto the ball better and I can't see how they're able to do that if they are getting the ball a metre before the line at half pace.

A combination of standing about a half metre further back for their (forwards) take off and waiting till they see him start running might solve it. But I really think this is detracting from the area where we have invested plenty of money.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Our hit ups are usually one out with no support. They are predictable and easy pray for the opposition defence.

Graham and Tolman take a belting. Even Klemmer is having less impact because the defence are so prepared for him by the time he hits the line.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whats the point, we keep turning the ball over and end up spending the game defending.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whats the point, we keep turning the ball over and end up spending the game defending.
^This .....our biggest problem is ball control and completing our sets.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa isnt being shopped around.. its a Kennel dream

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Just need to clone Klemmer 2 or 3 times

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe just maybe our much vaunted forward pack is not that great. Tolman and Grahame are more your workhorses rather than your bend the line and go forward men. We get dominated early in the game when these 2 guys start together tbh

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our forward issues are not licchhas but we play flat and not just simple run hard from depth not flat

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman & Graham offer SFA in attack.

Tolman should be at 13 only tackling his ass off and taking no hitups in the opposition half.

Either way there is no room for the both of them in the team.

Graham has gone backwards since he was elected as Captain. It is a real burden on his game.

Give the captaincy to Jackson.

Hoppa would be another good captain if he played Sundays

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Our team has a pretty weak backbone. Who can we truly depend upon in those key spine positions?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well said Alan79, totally agree.
Watch any game and you will see our big boys baulk for that fraction of a second. Lichaa is late.
Watched some old footage a few weeks ago and noticed how Hetherington and Perry used to rocket torpedos off the ground in one sweep. Slap, straight on the chest, beautiful to watch.
When is the last time we saw early clean ball from Lichaa?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tolman or Graham need to get out of the way and give ball to other players, They're 1 and 2 for hitups which is way to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.