Kennel Account Upgrades

Nash

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all!

As promised, we're now officially launching premium membership on the Kennel.

You can click the upgrade button at the top, or Gift to others to reward them for quality content!

In addition to reduced ads on the website and App, you get:

- Premium username icon like me and the moderators!
- More options to rate posts with!
- Exclusive Premium Member Banner
- Get a username icon displayed next to your name
- Edit your user title colour under your avatar
- Delete all warnings on your account
- VIP Trophy on your user profile.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who doesn't like gift :grinning:

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I feel left out, how do you become an premium member?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel left out, how do you become an premium member?
I'm happy being one of the have nots, my previous statements being what they are

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What were they????
Given that I completely appreciate the Kennels need to generate income to break even, I understand the decision to seek alternate revenue opportunities.

That being said, I do not feel "Premium" accounts are conducive to keeping people coming back to the Kennel, those of us who cannot afford to be a "Premium" member will develop over time a sense that we have less than the premium members, this feeling of less will result in being unmotivated / disinterested in not only contributing to the forum, but visiting it at all, thus reducing site hits and advertising revenue

I do not feel a 3 tier membership structure (Mods / Premium / Normal) is best, we absolutely need moderators, and they do a pretty good job of remaining impartial, which results in everyone feeling valued and free to contribute to the site. I think the "Premium" membership will detract from it

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Given that I completely appreciate the Kennels need to generate income to break even, I understand the decision to seek alternate revenue opportunities.

That being said, I do not feel "Premium" accounts are conducive to keeping people coming back to the Kennel, those of us who cannot afford to be a "Premium" member will develop over time a sense that we have less than the premium members, this feeling of less will result in being unmotivated / disinterested in not only contributing to the forum, but visiting it at all, thus reducing site hits and advertising revenue

I do not feel a 3 tier membership structure (Mods / Premium / Normal) is best, we absolutely need moderators, and they do a pretty good job of remaining impartial, which results in everyone feeling valued and free to contribute to the site. I think the "Premium" membership will detract from it
Fair call, but I think the kennel is growing and with the amount of advertising you see here it backs the popularity of this forum.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair call, but I think the kennel is growing and with the amount of advertising you see here it backs the popularity of this forum.
No doubt, as I said, I understand the need to fund raise, with growth comes cost, I am not saying it is the wrong choice, it is not my forum and not for me to say, but I just feel it may not be the right option

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ecca, it would be more so to shoulder some of the costs of using a better quality (more reliable) web host, and to pay for some of the functions and features of The Kennel (as most add-ons aren't free, and in some cases rather expensive for what they are).

To be honest, even moderators don't have full premium member access (e.g reduced ads) :grinning:

It's a tricky balancing act, but the alternative is the ever increasing costs lead to the forum closing due to lack of financial support. Don't get me wrong, that's not likely to happen, but I do know that the license for Xenforo wasn't cheap, nor some of the addons for Xen, and then there is the web hosting on top of that per month.

As far as I know, revenue is not received from ads unless they are clicked (not just displayed). I could be wrong there.

The other thing too, is The Kennel pushing to become larger than it ever has been by creating a whole "community" rather than just the forums. By that I mean live game updates, historical information and profiles, etc etc.

Whilst I see your point Ecca, the alternative is "who should shoulder all the costs", or "how else do we earn money to support the sites costs".
Mr I, please do not misunderstand me, I completely appreciate that there are cost associated with not only running but building the forum, I do not have the answer, but I don't feel this is is. Look at it already, only on a small scale, but there is already jealousy, from those of us non premium to those who have been gifted the Premium account, even if the people who mention it, mention it in a joking fashion, there is still some form of jealousy, with jealousy comes resentment, with resentment comes fear, and fear is the path to the dark side,. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Oops I got off track.

But my point remains, jealousy leads to resentment, and that is not conducive to "Community"

I'm not trying to create drama here, I LOVE this place, but, I am just concerned

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm willing to give back the premium member thing, no big deal, just thought it was a nice gesture.

PS premium members don't need a yellow badge thingy, this place has many premium members.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'll have to wait back for reply from Nash in here, but the other reason behind limiting some features could be because if every user had animated icons next to their usernames, it'd bring the forum to a crawl.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm willing to give back the premium member thing, no big deal, just thought it was a nice gesture.

PS premium members don't need a yellow badge thingy, this place has many premium members.
I didn't even get a premium upgrade ☹

I need to bash something for being left out wallah!

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

It's a lovely gesture and well deserved brother. If we have premium members you need to be one.

Mr I, I have no questions, just my opinion is all