Bulldogs want Des Hasler to stay on as coach until at least 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score

The Canterbury Bulldogs have hatched a plan to make Des Hasler one of the longest serving coaches in the club’s history.

Despite claims from Bulldogs legend Terry Lamb that Hasler doesn’t understand the club’s much revered culture, Canterbury CEO Raelene Castle is deep in negotiations to keep the 55-year-old at Belmore until the end the of 2019.

If Hasler, who is off contract at the end of next season, agrees to the new deal he will have spent eight years at the helm of the Dogs, one of the longest stints in the club’s 51-year history.

Steve Folkes is the club’s longest serving coach, having mentored the Dogs from 1998 until 2008.

“We (Canterbury) have been in dialogue for a number of weeks with Des’ management about a contract extension,” Castle told The Daily Telegraph on Thursday.

“Des has brought a significant level of professionalism to the Bulldogs and continues to demand success in line with our strategic plan.”

News of a contract extension at Canterbury comes after speculation the former premiership-winning mentor was under pressure and that some board members at the club had wanted contract talks to be placed on hold until they saw improvement and a greater focus on junior development.

The Bulldogs want Des Hasler to stay on as coach until at least 2019. Picture Gregg Porteous
However, Castle said these suggestions were nothing but “rumour”.

“That’s absolutely not correct,” she said.

“I’m not sure where that has come from, but it’s not that’s not correct.

“That’s gossip and we are at a stage where we are in dialogue with Hasler’s management around a contract extension.”

Since joining the club in 2012 from Manly, Hasler has taken the club to two grand finals, in his first season and in 2014.

Suggestions that Hasler was under pressure have also been linked to the Bulldogs inconsistent form this season and a 5-4 record which sees them currently sitting in sixth position.

Hasler’s influence in ensuring the Bulldogs biggest names including David Klemmer, Moses Mbye and Josh Jackson is also a major factor in the club’s bid to retain Hasler’s services.

The Bulldogs face the Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium next Sunday where Hasler will attempt to return Canterbury to the winner’s circle following their upset loss to Parramatta last weekend.

Marto

Waterboy
Gilded
Reaction score
Well I don't usually believe all that is in the media but I have to admit I thought the talk about Hasler being "under pressure" had some truth, and I was pleased to here it.

So now do we believe this from Castle or is it more junk?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Well I don't usually believe all that is in the media but I have to admit I thought the talk about Hasler being "under pressure" had some truth, and I was pleased to here it.

So now do we believe this from Castle or is it more junk?
Castle also said will win 2 premierships by 2019 look how that's going.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If this article is factual, we can only hope and pray that Des does not become our longest serving coach to have NOT won a premiership.
2004 to 2019 is a bloody long time.

Bluewhite93

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is it coincidence that ever since the club is run by a b*#'h (female bulldog) the club has now lost its balls. Have the Bulldogs been castrated by castle and des?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They don't know maths
We formed in 1935
It's now 2016
And they said we have been around for 51 years
Wtf

Bluewhite93

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If this article is factual, we can only hope and pray that Des does not become our longest serving coach to have NOT won a premiership.
2004 to 2019 is a bloody long time.
Bro wats rong with you , castle promised 2 premierships by 2019

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So much for the Mole's scoop that some of the board want him gone..buuuutttt it's funny this came out the next day.. Trying to hose down a fire before it starts?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The Canterbury Bulldogs have hatched a plan to make Des Hasler one of the longest serving coaches in the club’s history.

Despite claims from Bulldogs legend Terry Lamb that Hasler doesn’t understand the club’s much revered culture, Canterbury CEO Raelene Castle is deep in negotiations to keep the 55-year-old at Belmore until the end the of 2019.

If Hasler, who is off contract at the end of next season, agrees to the new deal he will have spent eight years at the helm of the Dogs, one of the longest stints in the club’s 51-year history.

Steve Folkes is the club’s longest serving coach, having mentored the Dogs from 1998 until 2008.

“We (Canterbury) have been in dialogue for a number of weeks with Des’ management about a contract extension,” Castle told The Daily Telegraph on Thursday.

“Des has brought a significant level of professionalism to the Bulldogs and ***continues to demand success in line with our strategic plan.”***

News of a contract extension at Canterbury comes after speculation the former premiership-winning mentor was under pressure and that some board members at the club had wanted contract talks to be placed on hold until they saw improvement and a greater focus on junior development.

The Bulldogs want Des Hasler to stay on as coach until at least 2019. Picture Gregg Porteous
However, Castle said these suggestions were nothing but “rumour”.

“That’s absolutely not correct,” she said.

I’m not sure where that has come from, but it’s not that’s not correct.

###“That’s gossip and we are at a stage where we are in dialogue with Hasler’s management around a contract extension.”###

Since joining the club in 2012 from Manly, Hasler has taken the club to two grand finals, in his first season and in 2014.

Suggestions that Hasler was under pressure have also been linked to the Bulldogs inconsistent form this season and a 5-4 record which sees them currently sitting in sixth position.

Hasler’s influence in ensuring the Bulldogs biggest names including David Klemmer, Moses Mbye and Josh Jackson is also a major factor in the club’s bid to retain Hasler’s services.

The Bulldogs face the Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium next Sunday where Hasler will attempt to return Canterbury to the winner’s circle following their upset loss to Parramatta last weekend.

***Was that the two premierships before 2019? Or the fact that we are just content enough to make the finals each year and not win a premiership in two attempts?

Probably from the mole.

### Just like the dialogue surrounding the extension of player contracts###

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone highlighted in another thread Haslers record is about the same every year recently (13 wins and 11 losses per season). There's been no premiership and the reality is we weren't close to our competitor in either grand final. Just my opinion but I would prefer we went with a new coach. I don't want to see us be like Parra and have a coach there for years (Brian Smith) who delivered nothing.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well to be honest i don't think castle would get much further than looking at this when judging des.

2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
16 2/GQF 13 9 1/GFL 6/EF 7/GFL 5/SF

Regardless of how bad we think we are going, the numbers don't lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.