What's the go with the Mods new little icons?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
No big deal I'm just a sticky beak..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
And colored usernames :grinning:

Something new being tested before rolled out. Possible premium member feature.

Just one of a few new features coming soon here.. stay tuned.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
And colored usernames :grinning:

Something new being tested before rolled out. Possible premium member feature.

Just one of a few new features coming soon here.. stay tuned.
What is a premium user?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I would just like to register my objection to "Premium" accounts.

Gilded, I get, it is a donation to the forum, which I intend to make when I can, and people who contribute to this place from a place of kindness should be recognised.

But, a premium account with special access, this feels to me that it runs against the grain of what this forum is about. If you start limiting access to those that pay $'s, all of a sudden you create a haves vs have nots situation, and I can tell you now that the have nots will not like being excluded from certain features / sections of the website, and will simply stop coming.

I appreciate that this is a business for habs and nash, and I even turned off my AdBlock for this website to ensure they receive an income stream, but I do not like this option at all.

I will be one of the have nots in this situation, and probably will, over time, stop coming

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
OMG doggie s.. cuteness overload right there :grinning:

I would just like to register my objection to "Premium" accounts.

Gilded, I get, it is a donation to the forum, which I intend to make when I can, and people who contribute to this place from a place of kindness should be recognised.

But, a premium account with special access, this feels to me that it runs against the grain of what this forum is about. If you start limiting access to those that pay $'s, all of a sudden you create a haves vs have nots situation, and I can tell you now that the have nots will not like being excluded from certain features / sections of the website, and will simply stop coming.

I appreciate that this is a business for habs and nash, and I even turned off my AdBlock for this website to ensure they receive an income stream, but I do not like this option at all.

I will be one of the have nots in this situation, and probably will, over time, stop coming
@Nash can probably clarify this but as far as I am aware @Ecca, the specifics are still being sorted out. That description I believe is by default and there is no way that premium members would be excluded from bans or have access to anything that regular users would not.

Running the site isn't cheap (nor is the forum software ($140-$500 EURO per year) or add-ons (some can be a few hundred and we have a few on here)), and ad revenue is next to nothing. As such the site owners need to find a way to keep the site financially viable.

Sponsorship is one option, but until the site is in a position of strength (thus all the new features, etc) that's tricky as well.

I believe Premium Members will get the banner stating as such, and ability to change username colour and add an icon to their username. Not sure what else just at the moment.

The idea is certainly not to alienate the user base by splitting it.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
OMG doggie s.. cuteness overload right there :grinning:

@Nash can probably clarify this but as far as I am aware @Ecca, the specifics are still being sorted out. That description I believe is by default and there is no way that premium members would be excluded from bans or have access to anything that regular users would not.

Running the site isn't cheap (nor is the forum software ($140-$500 EURO per year) or add-ons (some can be a few hundred and we have a few on here)), and ad revenue is next to nothing. As such the site owners need to find a way to keep the site financially viable.

Sponsorship is one option, but until the site is in a position of strength (thus all the new features, etc) that's tricky as well.

I believe Premium Members will get the banner stating as such, and ability to change username colour and add an icon to their username. Not sure what else just at the moment.

The idea is certainly not to alienate the user base by splitting it.
No doubt revenue is important, I am just saying, be wary of creating a class system on here

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Luckily it doesn't get abused but i don't think it's a great idea letting premium users down vote or thumb down posts and regular users can't.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Luckily it doesn't get abused but i don't think it's a great idea letting premium users down vote or thumb down posts and regular users can't.
At present only moderators can thumb down posts and I believe this will continue moving forwards as we look to improve post quality and positive posting.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree,
I don't think mods should have that ability either,
It has been abused already,
I'm still waiting for @Mr Invisible to rectify his abuse of that function,

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I agree,
I don't think mods should have that ability either,
It has been abused already,
I'm still waiting for @Mr Invisible to rectify his abuse of that function,
Hmm I dunno there Skippy...

When you call someone the name of a terrorist organisation .. what exactly did you think is going to happen??

upload_2016-5-13_17-45-55.jpeg

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmm I dunno there Skippy...

When you call someone the name of a terrorist organisation .. what exactly did you think is going to happen??

View attachment 510

It's was just a little joke,
Did it hurt your feeling?
Did you have those tissues handy?

So just to clarify,
Mods have the ability to thumb down a regular members post, if said moderator can't take a joke?

Right, I see how it works,

Ecca is right, the kennel is turning into a haves and have nots,

Hey have you ever read the book animal farm?

"We are all equal, but some are more equal than others"
If I recall correctly the above quote was in the book,
I read it in year 9 English I think it was, that's a long time ago now, so I could be wrong.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's was just a little joke,
Did it hurt your feeling?
Did you have those tissues handy?

So just to clarify,
Mods have the ability to thumb down a regular members post, if said moderator can't take a joke?

Right, I see how it works,

Ecca is right, the kennel is turning into a haves and have nots,

Hey have you ever read the book animal farm?

"We are all equal, but some are more equal than others"
If I recall correctly the above quote was in the book,
I read it in year 9 English I think it was, that's a long time ago now, so I could be wrong.
I'm already becoming less motivated to visit here, it didn't take a genius to see that there would be some resentment, and TBH there is probably more, as some members were "Gifted" the Premium Status

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm already becoming less motivated to visit here, it didn't take a genius to see that there would be some resentment, and TBH there is probably more, as some members were "Gifted" the Premium Status
Lol,
Don't let it bother you mate, the premium membership is nothing special,
Who really cares what colour your user name is,
Like who cares about the icon next to your name,
The adds don't bother me, I don't even notice them anyway if I'm being honest,

The big bright yellow banner might make some feel more important, but that's an ego thing,

You just keep doing what you do,
Post away and don't let a premium membership bother you,

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Skippy, build a bridge... the offending post the thumb was removed from after you had a cry about it.

What exactly is the problem Ecca? Why would there be resentment? Are like the other 99.9% of the user base resenting this?

Theres only like yourself and maybe 1 or two others that don't like the idea.

As I stated... running this site is not a cheap thing. If the alternative is eventually the sign being no longer financially viable and closing, then everyone loses out?

Don't consider/view the Premium Members as "better than every one else on here", view them for what they actually are "site sponsors".

Now, theres a caveat here ... I can't say too much in specifics but I know there are attempts to get this site fully sponsored. If that happens maybe premium member accounts won't be required.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Skippy, build a bridge... the offending post the thumb was removed from after you had a cry about it.

What exactly is the problem Ecca? Why would there be resentment? Are like the other 99.9% of the user base resenting this?

Theres only like yourself and maybe 1 or two others that don't like the idea.

As I stated... running this site is not a cheap thing. If the alternative is eventually the sign being no longer financially viable and closing, then everyone loses out?

Don't consider/view the Premium Members as "better than every one else on here", view them for what they actually are "site sponsors".

Now, theres a caveat here ... I can't say too much in specifics but I know there are attempts to get this site fully sponsored. If that happens maybe premium member accounts won't be required.
It's not been removed, but it's ok I'll let it go,
But I wasn't having a cry, I was rightfully addressing an abuse of privilege and authority,

I will deal with it differently in the future,

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
It's not been removed, but it's ok I'll let it go,
But I wasn't having a cry, I was rightfully addressing an abuse of privilege and authority,

I will deal with it differently in the future,
I gave you a rainbow. Because I can lol

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol,
Don't let it bother you mate, the premium membership is nothing special,
Who really cares what colour your user name is,
Like who cares about the icon next to your name,
The adds don't bother me, I don't even notice them anyway if I'm being honest,

The big bright yellow banner might make some feel more important, but that's an ego thing,

You just keep doing what you do,
Post away and don't let a premium membership bother you,
Just as an FYI Skip, the top 3 donators to the site are all moderators (including myself) who get the addons like colourful names and thumbs down etc for free anyway. We dont need to donate to get them. I contributed to help the site survive and in gratitude for the owner running it out of his own pocket for over 10 years. I will probably donate again at some point, but not to get bells and whistles, to help the place survive.

Also skip, i dont use thumbs down despite having the ability. Thats a personal choice though.

Its hard to add value to a place where people just come to post comments. How do you encourage people to donate to something that is free to use? Pretty names, banners etc are just a few of the very few extra things we can offer as a forum. Its just a way of giving the users who contribute something to say thanks for helping the site survive.

Last edited: