kids and face book

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its like p0rn and later sex - you can try to pretend its not happening but it will/is.

I guess just be sensible and adult about it. Try to teach him the consequences (of course a 13 yo has no concept but yiu hsve to at least try).

I think its commendable he at least asked.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you got her iPad and iPhone ready for when she's born?
What about her Facebook account and InstaTwitChatGram accounts?
I have a friend with two small girls (both under school age). He has fb accounts for both of them and posts pictures of them via these accounts 24/7. He's otherwise a nice guy but I doubt i'm the only one who it annoys.

I think FB can be a poitive thing used properly. Now Instagram... That's for narcissistic jerks. ;)

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a friend with two small girls (both under school age). He has fb accounts for both of them and posts pictures of them via these accounts 24/7. He's otherwise a nice guy but I doubt i'm the only one who it annoys.

I think FB can be a poitive thing used properly. Now Instagram... That's for narcissistic jerks. ;)

a cousin of mine doesnt post pics of his kids on facebook, he thinks the baby/childrens pics can be misused by pedos.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of people do that bro.

yeah i know but a sicko would take a pic of your kid if he wants to, in a shopping mall or in a park without even you knowing about it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
a cousin of mine doesnt post pics of his kids on facebook, he thinks the baby/childrens pics can be misused by pedos.
Yeah, as someone without kids but still hopeful of doing so one day, I do think about this. I think I will take a very minimalist spproach to putting my kids on the internet for 3 reasons:

- They haven't consented
- they csn be misused (its naive to think setting your profile to private makes a difference)
- Your kids are not that interesting to other people (especially photos of them every effing day).

I have another friend who has been posting pregnancy selfies and ultrasound photos constantly. She evennsmes the kid as soon as she discovered the gender and hastags the Sh!t out of every post to a point that not only does it look smug... I habe no idea what it means.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lol. Nah..that's just wrong.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i am going to get him circumcised.............. again
Which reminds me.. Why do Jewish men get circumcised?
Because Jewish women wont touch anything unless it has 10% off! Lol..sorry no offence meant!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Which reminds me.. Why do Jewish men get circumcised?
Because Jewish women wont touch anything unless it has 10% off! Lol..sorry no offence meant!
YUCK!

Why would you want a Jewish woman to touch you? Lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On the up side:

Social media is good for creating networks. You can easily create networks of friends and associates that you can use later in life.

It's also a relatively cheap and easy way to stay in touch with the world.

Downsides:

Security issues. You need to be vigilant about your security settings to ensure that your information doesn't leak out. Even then people can always see your profile picture and cover photo. Plus it can become a bit of a minefield of crappy links that the kid could accidentally click on.

You also need to be vigilant. People send random friend requests and if you accept them then you're giving your information out to a random stranger. You have to ensure that you only add people you know.

It's a major distraction. When the kid should be focusing on study he'll probably be wondering what his friends are talking about on Facebook then he'll jump on Facebook and sit on it all night.

Personally I think Facebook is something great for adults with self control. It's great for creating networks of people that you can target for work and it's great for businesses and advertising. It's not so good for kids who don't quite understand how messed up the world really is.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, as someone without kids but still hopeful of doing so one day, I do think about this. I think I will take a very minimalist spproach to putting my kids on the internet for 3 reasons:

- They haven't consented
- they csn be misused (its naive to think setting your profile to private makes a difference)
- Your kids are not that interesting to other people (especially photos of them every effing day).

I have another friend who has been posting pregnancy selfies and ultrasound photos constantly. She evennsmes the kid as soon as she discovered the gender and hastags the Sh!t out of every post to a point that not only does it look smug... I habe no idea what it means.
A friend of mine had a Facebook account for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks he posted "I don't give a F' about your ugly kids. Stop posting their stupid photos!"

Then he deleted his Facebook account.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to be careful though, you don't want your kid to be socially (as in real life socially) outcast because he is not allowed to use FB.

A lot of social events get organised vi facebook event invites. e.g. one of his mates is having a bday and sends out invites via FB. While a normal person would just extend an invite out in person knowing that he doesn't have FB, some kids can be c*nts and will just say "you don't have FB, so I cant invite you"

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No one asked you, Moe.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One of our family members is the opposite.

"This is KID 1 and KID 2 in their school uniforms" - so any creep out there knows what school they attend.
"This is our new house at SUBURB" - so any creeps know their address.

and its a bloody public profile.

Had words before with them about it but it falls on deaf ears.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
One of our family members is the opposite.

"This is KID 1 and KID 2 in their school uniforms" - so any creep out there knows what school they attend.
"This is our new house at SUBURB" - so any creeps know their address.

and its a bloody public profile.

Had words before with them about it but it falls on deaf ears.

haha ha ha

In India most people dont put their holiday plans or holiday photos on face book, cos the robbers will know that no one is at home.

easy pickings!

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Whats other parents thoughts on social media for kids ?[/QUOTE]

I hate the dame thing, but you can't avoid it, every kid is on FB this days. Try to teach him what is acceptable and what's not, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.