Dogs going to the Dogs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Say what you will, but honestly, I need to get this rant off my chest.

The club I once loved is being ruined.

Last year was a joke (regardless how far we went).

We lacked attack, we lacked focus, and we do the same damn thing every game and make it simple for opposing coaches to pick us apart.

Entering into the 2016 season, we've recruited bugger all. From all reports we are about to sign an ex Manly hack who is overrated as ****, and only looked good because he had a world class backline behind him (Stewart / Matai / Lyon / DCE / Foran). As a result of this we look to be turfing out the 2014 top try scorer, and "on the rise" centre Tim Lafai. A player whose family aren't a bunch of ****wits, and who has built a family of his own that he pays tribute to every match. Tim is a champion of a bloke with his heart in the right place.

Is that not what the Bulldogs, THE FAMILY CLUB, is all about? Has someone forgotten this, or is the motto changing from "Bulldogs - The Family Club", to "Bulldogs - The Manly Club".

Lafai embodies everything our club strives for, and to treat the bloke like the club is, is downright disgraceful.

This is the guy we are getting rid of:
2015 he had this (http://www.nrl.com/family-scare-behind-lafais-omission/tabid/10874/newsid/84944/default.aspx) to contend with, as well as shoulder and knee injuries, which he was still fighting to recover from. He bulked up during that time he was injured, but entering end of year training worked hard to strip that all back off again.

In August 2015 the Hoppa/Lafai rumours started and he said this:
Lafai said on Thursday afternoon the rumours were astounding. "I've heard about them, I only found out a few days ago through my agent but I haven't looked too much into it," the 24-year-old said. "I'm happy at Canterbury ... as far as I know it's just rumours going around. [It's annoying] but that's just part of being in this industry, as a footy player. There's always rumours and you take them as they come but there's no truth in that one."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...peculation-20150813-giykm6.html#ixzz3tLyABawd
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

When Des first came over, we over achieved, and that was mostly using players that were already recruited. In the following seasons we recruited some players, but have failed to reach the heights of original year Des took over (2012).... when most of the structure and players from previous coach where in place.

We've cast aside the best form second rower we had in Pritchard, look to be showing the door to our 2014 strike centre, and cast aside the halfback who started firing the end of the year.. Instead we get a handful of juniors, and a Parra reject who has lived in the glory of his surname.

I have honestly just about had enough of this club. Over comes Des, recruits half of Manly along with it, and things take a slide after the Moore / Moore & Dymock composed side gets pulled apart.

If Des wants our club like Manly, why doesn't he go back there???. At times I question if he's actually sabotaging the club and it's players. Other times I have to question if he truly cares for the Family Club, or about the large salary dumped in his back pocket. Maybe him and Trex have more in common than we think??

We are Blue and White, not Maroon and White.
We are the mighty Bulldogs, not the pissant Sea Eagles.

We (as fans), and our LOYAL players, deserve to be treated better than this.

Given the wholesale changes... we better perform in 2016, or I think our bigwigs need to stand up and put their foot down.

Oh and if we lose one more decent player because another hack at Manly becomes available .. I'll lose my shit.

Not sure how much of the 2016 season I'll put up with (if we serve up the same rubbish as previous years).

Surely I'm not the only one feeling like this.

NOTE: I might be being overly critical, but I'm absolutely fuming about the treatment our club appear to be giving Tim Lafai. Just because Hoppa is on the market, doesn't mean we a) need him; and b) need to get rid of one of our best prospects as a result.

Except that side of the field to be a laughing joke next year.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Lafai was terrible last year. I couldn't give a **** about 2014 form. If we are going to just keep players because they once have a purple patch of form why don't we get inu back because his form in 2012 was awesome?
Whether or not Hopoate is the guy to replace Lafai with remains to be seen but I'm not going to lose any sleep over Lafai. The only travesty here is that Perrett is still on the books.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perrett really didnt deserve 2 years when we have Phillips around.

Whatever though, expectations are low for 2016 and my apathy level is fairly high.

IMO, the reason why its laf leaving at this point and not perrett... Both players are contracted. Lafai can easily find another club. Perrett wont be able to find another contract as good as we offered. We want hoppa... Theres really only one solution if we want hoppa on the roster.

Its really our fault for locking up perrett for 2 years, which I had never even realised until I saw it in an article today.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
hear hear Mr. I

but we have made 2 grand finals in 4 years.

Des knows what he is doing,

Lafai , despite how good he was since his debut can not have one bad year, but when it comes to Trex it is a different story.

but nothing surprises me, the way this club rewards mediocrity and get rid of proven performers.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate, you are not the only one feeling this way. The blue and white fabric of this club is slowly being re-stitched with maroon and white thread. It doesn't look good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
hear hear Mr. I

but we have made 2 grand finals in 4 years.

Des knows what he is doing,

Lafai , despite how good he was since his debut can not have one bad year, but when it comes to Trex it is a different story.

but nothing surprises me, the way this club rewards mediocrity and get rid of proven performers.
The smart option was to release perrett and keep lafai and put hopa on the wing

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that people have passion for the club, so do I and I'll always love them and I may have differing opinions to what coaches and whatnot have on team selection, but I would much rather be unhappy with a choice that des makes and still perform well on the field than have the Bulldogs turn into a team like another I support, the 49ers. Anyone who isn't he biggest fan of the way des does things should compare him to harbaugh and the 49ers situation and then be thankful for what we have.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Perrett could have found a home in ESL.. except that he has the construction company in Sydney.

Maybe Perrett should do what Frankie apparently did and make way for the younger players, because he's effectively just pushed Lafai out of the club (if everything is true).

IF Hoppa signs, I'd be expected Rona-esque performances from him in his first and beyond season. I honestly don't think he has them in him though.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If it happens, it happens........ tbh, Laf for Hop.... based on this last season they are two young players that showed a lot but where then disappointing, not sure we loose or gain a whole lot there, it will be more a question of which one can find form first.

I'd rather have both, but, thats life, I'm sure there is a rationale behind it.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Say what you will, but honestly, I need to get this rant off my chest.

The club I once loved is being ruined.

Last year was a joke (regardless how far we went).

We lacked attack, we lacked focus, and we do the same damn thing every game and make it simple for opposing coaches to pick us apart.

Entering into the 2016 season, we've recruited bugger all. From all reports we are about to sign an ex Manly hack who is overrated as ****, and only looked good because he had a world class backline behind him (Stewart / Matai / Lyon / DCE / Foran). As a result of this we look to be turfing out the 2014 top try scorer, and "on the rise" centre Tim Lafai. A player whose family aren't a bunch of ****wits, and who has built a family of his own that he pays tribute to every match. Tim is a champion of a bloke with his heart in the right place.

Is that not what the Bulldogs, THE FAMILY CLUB, is all about? Has someone forgotten this, or is the motto changing from "Bulldogs - The Family Club", to "Bulldogs - The Manly Club".

Lafai embodies everything our club strives for, and to treat the bloke like the club is, is downright disgraceful.

This is the guy we are getting rid of:
2015 he had this (http://www.nrl.com/family-scare-behind-lafais-omission/tabid/10874/newsid/84944/default.aspx) to contend with, as well as shoulder and knee injuries, which he was still fighting to recover from. He bulked up during that time he was injured, but entering end of year training worked hard to strip that all back off again.

In August 2015 the Hoppa/Lafai rumours started and he said this:

When Des first came over, we over achieved, and that was mostly using players that were already recruited. In the following seasons we recruited some players, but have failed to reach the heights of original year Des took over (2012).... when most of the structure and players from previous coach where in place.

We've cast aside the best form second rower we had in Pritchard, look to be showing the door to our 2014 strike centre, and cast aside the halfback who started firing the end of the year.. Instead we get a handful of juniors, and a Parra reject who has lived in the glory of his surname.

I have honestly just about had enough of this club. Over comes Des, recruits half of Manly along with it, and things take a slide after the Moore / Moore & Dymock composed side gets pulled apart.

If Des wants our club like Manly, why doesn't he go back there???. At times I question if he's actually sabotaging the club and it's players. Other times I have to question if he truly cares for the Family Club, or about the large salary dumped in his back pocket. Maybe him and Trex have more in common than we think??

We are Blue and White, not Maroon and White.
We are the mighty Bulldogs, not the pissant Sea Eagles.

We (as fans), and our LOYAL players, deserve to be treated better than this.

Given the wholesale changes... we better perform in 2016, or I think our bigwigs need to stand up and put their foot down.

Oh and if we lose one more decent player because another hack at Manly becomes available .. I'll lose my shit.

Not sure how much of the 2016 season I'll put up with (if we serve up the same rubbish as previous years).

Surely I'm not the only one feeling like this.

NOTE: I might be being overly critical, but I'm absolutely fuming about the treatment our club appear to be giving Tim Lafai. Just because Hoppa is on the market, doesn't mean we a) need him; and b) need to get rid of one of our best prospects as a result.

Except that side of the field to be a laughing joke next year.

Hard to disagree with what you have said here Mr I.

To me Des is clearly a "one dimensional" coach, just like he was a "one dimensional" halfback as a player ie NOT a playmaker.

Our tactics and game plan over the last couple of years has basically seen us without a half back leading us around the park and front rowers taking over the role. We are boring and a predictable team to play against and something needs to change this year. Hasler has to re-invent the way we play and use a game plan that is more comensurate with modern football and not the outdate forward dominated platform. We need to build pressure with a good kicking game and not just surrender the ball on the last tackle because it is a better option than a seven tackle set.

In some ways the best thing that could happen next year is that we have a real poor season in order to bring the board to the reality that we need to change because Des is not all he is cracked up to be. Recruiting She Rex was the first sign, and going after Hopoate is another.

As for Tim Lafai, it will be pretty ordinary if he leaves to allow in Hopoate. One bad seasn should not see a player moved on. The thing that has always stuck out to me about Tim is that he is definitely a LEFT SIDED player. He fends with his right hand, steps with his left foot and is more comfortable passing from right to left. He is thus out of position on the right side.

Looking for a change in tactics this year. The reduction to 8 interchanges should make the four forwards on the bench model, outdated. Clearly there is room for a quickish player who plays 6,7 or 9, or perhaps all three to be on the bench covering injuring or to play a cameo role in the last 20 taking on tiring forwards. That player could be JR. If we don't change in 2016 it will be TIME for a change at the top.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to disagree with what you have said here Mr I.

To me Des is clearly a "one dimensional" coach, just like he was a "one dimensional" halfback as a player ie NOT a playmaker.

Our tactics and game plan over the last couple of years has basically seen us without a half back leading us around the park and front rowers taking over the role. We are boring and a predictable team to play against and something needs to change this year. Hasler has to re-invent the way we play and use a game plan that is more comensurate with modern football and not the outdate forward dominated platform. We need to build pressure with a good kicking game and not just surrender the ball on the last tackle because it is a better option than a seven tackle set.

In some ways the best thing that could happen next year is that we have a real poor season in order to bring the board to the reality that we need to change because Des is not all he is cracked up to be. Recruiting She Rex was the first sign, and going after Hopoate is another.

As for Tim Lafai, it will be pretty ordinary if he leaves to allow in Hopoate. One bad seasn should not see a player moved on. The thing that has always stuck out to me about Tim is that he is definitely a LEFT SIDED player. He fends with his right hand, steps with his left foot and is more comfortable passing from right to left. He is thus out of position on the right side.

Looking for a change in tactics this year. The reduction to 8 interchanges should make the four forwards on the bench model, outdated. Clearly there is room for a quickish player who plays 6,7 or 9, or perhaps all three to be on the bench covering injuring or to play a cameo role in the last 20 taking on tiring forwards. That player could be JR. If we don't change in 2016 it will be TIME for a change at the top.
Signing Williams was the first sign of what exactly? Us Making the finals 4 years in a row? And the grand final in two of those years?

nikgan123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry, but if lafai is reportedly requesting a release, how do you guys know he's not seriously requesting a release? Maybe he has family issues? Maybe he wants to rebuild his career after a poor season and knows he can't do it with the dogs? Maybe he has some bad blood with des? But we aren't gonna know until everything's said and done so can everyone stfu and stop complaining

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The way Hasler works, Hoppa would be given more cash than Lafai. So freeing up cash is not quite an option. Getting rid of Lafai is simply because he has lost whatever ability he once had. He had to be moved on.
Saying that, Im not impressed with Hopoate. I believe Phillips and McInally are better options on the wing. And, I also believe that Holland should be the centre to replace Lafai, not Hopoate.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
however I trust Des.

Des will not resign tony Williams no matter what happens this year.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps the "family club" mantra is one if the things holding the club back. It's not the 80s anymore. ..

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lafai is slow, been poor in defense, and defenders have worked him out.

He has been around for a few years now, and tge promise has never really been delivered. Apart from 2014, he has otherwise been underwhelming.

I don't mind giving Hopa a chance. Can't play any worse, and he was on par with Lafai.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lafai is slow, been poor in defense, and defenders have worked him out.

He has been around for a few years now, and tge promise has never really been delivered. Apart from 2014, he has otherwise been underwhelming.

I don't mind giving Hopa a chance. Can't play any worse, and he was on par with Lafai.
But Hoppa isn't a centre bro, just a winger. That's my major beef.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bulldogs are just becomming Manly's "old boys club".

I wonder if Des has anyone else he'd like to bring over.

George Rose for Klemmer maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.