Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were arguing. I agree. Jake Friend and RTS have free reign and their forwards just run hard instead of trying to be our playmakers.
All good my bro

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taking SKD as an example, he started with them in 2007, and is probably one of their older players (alongside Pearce) now.

2007 - Finished 10th under Anderson/Fittler
2008 - Finished 4th and made Semis under Fittler / SKD Top Tryscorer
2009 - Finished 16th wooden spoon under Fittler / SKD Top Tryscorer
2010 - Finished 6th and made runners up under Smith / SKD Top Tryscorer
2011 - Finished 11th under Smith
2012 - Finished 13th under Smith / Pearce Top Tryscorer
2013 - Finished 1st and won premiership under Robinson / Jennings Top Tryscorer
2014 - Finished 1st and made prelim finals under Robinson / Mini Top Tryscorer
2015 - Finished 1st and made semis under Robinson / SKD & Tupou Top Tryscorers

RTS - Debuted in first grade under Smith and played 6 games.
Tupou - Debuted in first grade under Smith and played a few games.
Moa - Fair call, came across in 2013.
SKD - Had his best seasons in 2008/2009/2010.
Pearce - Had his best season in 2010.
JWH - Debuted in 2010 under Smith and played 19 games. Best season was 2012 under Smith.
Friend - Debuted in 2008 under Fittler. Best season was 2013.
Cordner - Debuted in 2011 under Smith. Best season 2013/2014
Guerra - Debuted in 2010 under Smith. Best seasons 2011 / 2013.

and this isn't taking into account Robinson was gifted / bought up rep players in almost every position, and not taking into account any tips he got from his brother at Essendon on how to "get the best" out of his players.

Suffice to say there are a more than a few of their players that suddenly became MASSIVE in the off season after Robinson joined their club.

So summing it all up, Robinson isn't a master coach everyone thinks he is. All top try scorers have been from eras before him (and proven as superstars before Robinson took over). He already had the building blocks and talent there, a team well over the cap, and just added a few "tweaks", and some more cheating (playing the law of averages on penalties), and off he went.

Interesting that in all your stats, the coaches above Hasler in the stats are either cheats, responsible for dirty play, or had salary cap breaches.
Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you.
both Robinson and macguire are myths. Roosters only won in 2013 due to sbw firing up in the second half, if people have a decent memory they will remember manly being all over the roosters up until sbw fired up. Finishing 3 years in a row minor premiers and not even making a grand final appearance with the team Robinson has is a major failure and also robinsons brother is involved heavily with the team who's been caught supplying peptides in the afl. And then we have that flop macguire his had a crazy team since he came along with mr crowes un ensign pockets ad only getting 1 grand final win and that was to a broken Bulldogs team. While we can say yeah wow we made 2 gf appearances and no wins, we did it in 2012 with a relatively unknown team apart from a few and Hasler turned me into superstars and almost took the big one, our team was inexperienced and very young at the time, and graham put a jinx on us by biting slater like he did by smashing SAMs cheek bone in 2014. Again in 2014 yeah we didn't win but to have even made the semis then prelim and grand final was amazing and everyone here was buzzing. We were busted by the time grand final day came. As for this year well the amount of injuries and suspensions we did really well.
In conclusion Robinson and macguire can suk a fat one.
But I'm giving Hasler next year only if he takes us to the grand final he gets another year.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
People saying Roosters are over the cap and that Robinson is a shit coach have no idea. He has won 3 minor premierships which the over the cap Storm couldn't even do and he has taken his team to at least the GF qualifier each season. Bennett couldn't even do that with the Broncos in the 90's.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
People saying Roosters are over the cap and that Robinson is a shit coach have no idea. He has won 3 minor premierships which the over the cap Storm couldn't even do and he has taken his team to at least the GF qualifier each season. Bennett couldn't even do that with the Broncos in the 90's.
I'm confused, so what you are saying is .... hasler is a shit coach because the roosters have been more successful in the current 12-15 period than we have yeah?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne did do it 06 07 08 and they made GFs the same year as well, but we all know why. I don't think people are saying he is a shit coach, I just don't think they are jumping on the bandwagon. He is obviously a good coach but he was handed a roster that was favoured to win without him even coaching a game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
2016 will be Robinsons real test. Different halves combination, unable to rely on "pass the ball to RTS to score", and with one injury in the halves in 2016 they are in all sorts of bother.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Melbourne did do it 06 07 08 and they made GFs the same year as well, but we all know why. I don't think people are saying he is a shit coach, I just don't think they are jumping on the bandwagon. He is obviously a good coach but he was handed a roster that was favoured to win without him even coaching a game.
They have been stripped of the minor premierships for being over the cap so no Melbourne didn't do it.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
2016 will be Robinsons real test. Different halves combination, unable to rely on "pass the ball to RTS to score", and with one injury in the halves in 2016 they are in all sorts of bother.
RTS only scored 12 tries this whole season including finals.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Theses stats are useless, don't take into account injury suspension and origin (who had tough games and who got the easy run / byes)

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd take JMoz over Jennings. Much better defensively and more consistent. Fergo is better than them both. Also RTS and Maloney are gone now because they can't fit them under the cap.
RTS is gone because HE wanted to leave and they bumped Maloney to make way for Hastings.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
RTS is gone because HE wanted to leave and they bumped Maloney to make way for Hastings.
RTS left for $800k a season not because he wanted too. Roosters said they couldn't pay him more than 500k if they wanted to keep Fergo and others.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bulldogs fans saying the reason the Roosters are so good and better than the Bulldogs is because they are cheating the cap is just a cheap excuse to pardon our shortcomings. We have a roster better than BOTH Qld teams that are in the GF this year.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You do realise the Storm made the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Grand Final right? They also won 2 of the 4 with a team over the cap.

The Roosters won the premiership when they signed Maloney, SBW and Jennings in the one season, whatever creative accounting they did, they stocked up on talent in a way that defies the salary cap. The salary cap cheating Storm were far more successful and to say otherwise is ridiculous. Premierships > Minor Premierships

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs fans saying the reason the Roosters are so good and better than the Bulldogs is because they are cheating the cap is just a cheap excuse to pardon our shortcomings. We have a roster better than BOTH Qld teams that are in the GF this year.
You're joking aren't you? I would trade half our forwards for either halves that the Broncos and Cowboys have, this has absolutely got to be the biggest gee up i have ever seen. We need a creative playmaker and the fact we don't have one automatically makes our roster pathetic, who the f*ck is going to win a premiership with a one legged Hodkinson and a hothead like Reynolds

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our squad as a whole is top 3 in the whole comp.
We have
4 aussie internationals
5 Nz internationals
7 state of origin players
1 English captain.
Pretty much most of our top 17 have been selected for rep teams.
Wether they play shit or out of position they still a top class squad and other clubs are envious of our roster. Yet Hasler ruins it with his selections, promotions, tactics, recruitments etc
Its a weak as piss comp and we couldn't even make it past 2nd week of semis.
Robinson has game plans, has great vision, recruitment is brilliant, can spot talent and nurtures these players and brings out the best in them. Something Hasler can't do at all.
4 years in a row the shit coach has stuck to his forward based plays, only time our juniors get a shot is due to injury. And next year will be the same over and over. He has no other game plans. Be glad to see the end of him.
And this team is Haslers, so dont give me BS about we have shit 5/8 shit halfback or no fullback. The buck stops with Hasler. He is the boss. This is all he could muster. No ones fault but his.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree with majority here. Robbie is twisting things like RTS only scored "x" trys. He is a game breaker it's not just the points he scored himself but the plays he has in the game.

The dogs line up and roster is not remotely on the same level overall as the Roosters. No shock the 1,3,4,6,7,9 positions would all be roosters if merged teams. Tupou/Rona etc it's really a case of who you support. Both are gun wingers. Though the key vital spots are locked by Roosters there. I mean you could say JMoz over Jennings though it's again a case of who you like.

The Storm were a far more successful team and despite being stripped who is to say in 5 years time the Roosters won't have some allegations?

The fact Robinson hasn't missed the finals in his time? Neither has Des with our club or Manly for how long?

Let's agree we have a good roster. We just don't have the genuine spine that is usually required.

We have had a star studded pack.

The thing is the Roosters do too with JWH, Moa, Guerra, Cordner, Napa, Evans (was heavily hyped like Klemmer coming through and had big bucks thrown at him by Sharkies) and that Taukeiaho was on a mission, let's hope Williams comes out like that next year if he is round. Throw in someone like Matagi who was amazing for the Warriors before falling to shit and looks to come good again. Heck even my Roosters mate like that Lui. I still think we have a pack just as good overall (well had with Frank now gone we probz overall are behind).

I agree next year will be a good test for him with RTS gone and Maloney. Though let's be honest. Hastings would be the first player picked out of Reynolds, Mbye, Hodkinson hell for me even over Pearce. I think kids a gun and in my opinion Pearce only ever stepped up when Maloney took so much off him. RTS is a HUGE loss. Though the thing is unlike us when we lost Barba, they have some very good options already. Ferguson could go back there after being compared to Inglis for years, allowing SKD back to the centre (if not found guilty of his assault though it is the Roosters so doubt it) and put Elliot on the wing or perhaps Aubo in the centres and leave SKD.

The other option is yet again another amazing talent much like they have done with Hastings. They have Latrell Mitchell who could either be pushed at fullback though more then likely blood him on the wing for a season or 2 like they did RTS.

The biggest problem here is they lose quality and have extremely talented kids and quality ready (Hastings) or almost ready Mitchell and will transition and we have nothing in the pipe line that I've seen that's remotely close to those kids.

TAS

All In
Reaction score
Imo our spine is the weakest of all top 8 teams and one of the weakest overall.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lies, damned lies and statistics. Statistics are used when you dont have a real argument. The power of numbers can be so misleading and it is in the NRL. How many tries are scored by a certain player is irrelevant.
The contribution to a team is what counts.
A good statistician can make a donkey look like a Melbourne cup winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.