JAMES GAVET to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did the West Tigers let him go... he is a pre solid young bloke.
Loss to Tigers

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lots of off field issues I thought

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hope he can get his shit together. Daine Laurie 2.0

Strong runner but God damn did he look horrendous in defence and just everything else basically when I watched him play for the Tigers.

Poor mans Marty.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
probs got into more fights and turned up with busted knuckles....Taylor probs thinks he woulda bashed him so he shipped him off aha

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lots of off field issues I thought
Yes. James showed some promise with us but was a bit injury prone. He was released to the Tigpies because of bad off field issues. He is not a fullback but he will fit in up there and maybe Uncle Wayne can straighten him out.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All his off field issues are in the past and were related to alcohol. I remember reading somewhere that he hit the 100 days of been sober earlier this year and was feeling happier and healthier on and off the field. It only takes 1 beer though so lets hope he keeps his shit together.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
James Gavet is the enforcer Wayne Bennett hopes will bring some mongrel to the Bronco

HE has won a battle with booze and now reformed alcoholic James Gavet is the enforcer master coach Wayne Bennett hopes will bring some mongrel to the Broncos pack.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Bennett has poached Gavet from the Wests Tigers after the veteran mentor failed a fortnight ago in his bid to sign jailed prop Russell Packer.

Gavet, who turns 25 this Sunday, has inked a two-year with the Broncos. He was contracted to the Tigers for another season, but the joint-venture club signed off on a release on Monday after Bennett phoned Gavet’s management.

Bennett is eager to add aggression to his Brisbane forward unit and former Warriors bookend Packer was his primary target. But after missing out on Packer, Bennett moved for Gavet, who is regarded as one of the NRL’s most aggressive forwards.

Standing 186cm and weighing 108kg, Gavet faces a daunting task firing at the Broncos, but he is steeled by the lessons of navigating a five-year battle with alcoholism.

On Monday, his manager Tyran Smith confirmed Bennett had bolstered his front-row stocks by securing Gavet until the end of 2016.

“We’ve got a release from the Tigers so James will be at the Broncos next year,” said Smith of Sportsplayer Management.

“It’s a great opportunity for James. He’s gone through some tough times but when Wayne Bennett expressed interest, I thought he could be great for him on and off the field.

“James has a long future in the game. He’s one of the toughest up-and-coming forwards coming through and he’ll learn a lot at a professional club like the Broncos.”

Born in New Zealand, Gavet made his NRL debut with the Bulldogs in 2012, only to have his contract torn-up after one game due to issues with the demon drink.

He was thrown a lifeline by the Tigers, playing 24 top-grade games in the past two seasons and impressing with his rampaging charges and intimidating style.

Gavet’s signing will offset the loss of Ben Hannant, who last week agreed to a one-year deal with the Cowboys. He will push strongly for a starting front-row berth next season, with the likes of Martin Kennedy and Mitch Garbutt also in the frame to partner Josh McGuire.

Earlier this season, Gavet opened up about his problems with drinking. He admitted alcoholism was endemic in his family and sought professional help.

“The thing with being an alcoholic is that you’re always in denial,” he told the NRL’s official website. “I was living in denial. Then you want to keep it under wraps, because it’s embarrassing.”

“(Mum) once said to me, ‘Your father’s father was a bad drunk, and your father was an alcoholic too.’

“I was in a really low place ... I already had a bit of an angry streak. Alcohol just multiplied it tenfold.

“Going into pre-season this year, I really made it a personal goal just to stay away from the drink.

“You can make millions of memories without it ... and actually remember them.”

Source

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Tigers probably let him go because of the abundance of talent they have there

/end sarcasm

N

Natboy

He's a pretty good player and the tigers usually release most of their good players

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He's a pretty good player and the tigers usually release most of their good players
But they will do anything to hang onto the injury prone ones

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Jason Taylor wants the Tigers to get the spoon obviously next year.

Broncos have a decent lineup actually. That Mitch Garbutt they bought from Intrust Super Cap (Easts Tigers iirc) looks to be pretty decent. Then they have McGuire, Hala, etc etc.

I reckon they might be a suprise pack next year if Bennett can adjust his coaching to modern game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
TIGERS 2015

GAINS:
Matthew Lodge
Kevin Naiqama
Chance Peni
Brenden Santi
John Sila

LOSSES:
Braith Anasta
Blake Austin
Jarred Farlow
Liam Fulton
James Gavet
Marika Koroibete
Ben Murdoch-Masila
Cory Paterson

RE-SIGNED:
Sitaleki Akauola
Manaia Cherrington
Asipeli Fine
Dallas Graham
Delouise Hoeter
David Nofoaluma
Ava Seumanufagai
Curtis Sironen
James Tedesco
Aaron Woods

Quite a bit of fail there....

Sironen and Brooks as their halves next year? :roflol:

The way it's going I can see Jason Taylor the first coach sacked in 2015.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
TIGERS 2015

GAINS:
Matthew Lodge
Kevin Naiqama
Chance Peni
Brenden Santi
John Sila

LOSSES:
Braith Anasta
Blake Austin
Jarred Farlow
Liam Fulton
James Gavet
Marika Koroibete
Ben Murdoch-Masila
Cory Paterson

RE-SIGNED:
Sitaleki Akauola
Manaia Cherrington
Asipeli Fine
Dallas Graham
Delouise Hoeter
David Nofoaluma
Ava Seumanufagai
Curtis Sironen
James Tedesco
Aaron Woods

Quite a bit of fail there....

Sironen and Brooks as their halves next year? :roflol:

The way it's going I can see Jason Taylor the first coach sacked in 2015.
Their backline and halves are going to ooze speed, skill and youth plus Moses and and Brooks will be their halves with Tedesco at the back

1. Tedesco
2. Nofoaluma
3. Simona
4. Sironen
5. Naiqama
6. Moses
7. Brooks

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their backline and halves are going to ooze speed, skill and youth plus Moses and and Brooks will be their halves with Tedesco at the back

1. Tedesco
2. Nofoaluma
3. Simona
4. Sironen
5. Naiqama
6. Moses
7. Brooks
Sironen to the backrow would be better wouldnt it? He's a tough bugger.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Matthew Lodge is a great prospect. They have Woods, Galloway, Taupau, Lodge and Brown. Gavet is surplus to Taylors needs.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sironen to the backrow would be better wouldnt it? He's a tough bugger.
I saw him play centre a few times and he ripped up teams, he has good footwork, some speed and power. I remember watching them play Souths and it was all him doing the damage from centre, I would of loved to get him before he resigned but we have our players now who I am happy with.

That backline they have coming up is scary but their new coach is meh lol

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
So James has been with the Warriors, Bulldogs, Tigers and now Broncos. Good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.