The "R U OK ?" Thread

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It pissed me off hard but then again what do you say?

When I go to a funeral I basically dont say anything. I think just being there is most important.
What I personally love to hear people say to me is "I'll give you space but I'm here when you need me". 9 times out of 10 I open up to them and talk down the track, usually at random times lol

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
also its alot easier to talk to someone who isnt in it for the money, my favourite part of gta 5 was taking care of that psychiatrist and shooting him when he was trying to get away

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope every thing is working out for you now.

I thought anxiety and depression are two different things.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
earlier this year i had a weird thing where i was sweating as if i had jumped into a pool and i was shaking ffs, i was confused thinking i was having a heart attack but not really because it didnt really feel that way (or what i imagined what it would feel like), so after it went away i have since believed that i had some sort of anxiety or panic attack by self diagnosis because it was the most stressful situation i had been in a while painting the house (i also read that the paint fumes could have triggered it), and i had a smaller version of it but the second time was much better because i knew what it was

i used to think that the anxiety thing was all bullshit but its a real situation

btw how sad when i was having a heart attack one of the first things i could think of was should i create a thread on the kennel saying its over and goodbye
It's how I used to feel all day every day

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I personally love to hear people say to me is "I'll give you space but I'm here when you need me". 9 times out of 10 I open up to them and talk down the track, usually at random times lol
You're a good bloke Assassin.. I got Alot of time for ya mate.. It's note true what people say about, I don't believe a word of it.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread ASSASSIN. I've had and still have plenty of anxiety related issues, so if you ever need to talk to someone you can always PM me for advice or just to voice out.

When I was 11, I began having early signs of having anxiety.

It wasn't until I was 16-17 that it finally changed my life completely. I went from being an extremely confident and what I thought happy teenager in High School to seriously one day waking up and finding everything just too hard. I know reading this it sounds more like laziness, but other people with anxiety will know what I mean. It all started with a fear of needing to do 'a number 2' in a situation where it wouldn't be possible (Ie. Bus stop, on bus, in classroom etc.). It got to the point where I'd completely shut myself from the world and was doing distance education from home. In the space of a matter of months, I had gone from being an outdoor social kid to being depressed and hidden from the world due to the simple fear that I'd need to go to the toilet. I know... it sounds silly, but you'll never know the full pain I went through in my worst years.

I'm 22 now and have tried my best at changing my life. I have been working in IT fulltime for almost 3 years now, I drive, I force myself to go to social events for work etc... 3 years ago I'd never thought I'd be able to do what I do today. It took years of effort to fight my demons and today consider myself mature beyond my years due to the tough times I had. One thing I hate myself most for however was missing out on doing the stupid-fun things your supposed to do with life-long friends when you're in that 16-20 year age group.

To everyone that sees me in real life whether it be professional or personal, they'd think I'm just your normal 22 year old single guy that's easy to get a long with. However on the inside I'm fighting really hard everyday to be "normal" and keep up with others who seems to do things so seamlessly in life without a second thought.

I still have my moments just like others with anxiety will always have, however you learn to ride the wave.

Funny story is at my highest anxiety levels, it was on my way to a Bulldogs game that taught me the biggest lesson in fighting my fears. My Dad was driving myself and my brothers to a Bulldogs/Eels game I think in 2007 when we got caught up in absolute terrible traffic on the M5. Anyone that has the same sort of anxiety as myself would know this is pretty much the ultimate panic attack moment; knowing that you're stuck in terrible traffic in the middle of a freeway in a car full of people fearing any minute you're going to crap yourself. I was so close to just collapsing from such high level anxiety that I'd just said to myself "**** it! What's the worst that can happen?... So what... I shit myself". At that moment, all of a sudden my anxiety level had dropped from about 100 right down to 10 and from that day on, I always use that moment going to that Bulldogs game as my "If I could survive that, I can survive anything".

I thankfully have never had to take medication for my anxiety (They bloody hell tried their best to get me on that shit). My fear always was that it would work, however as a result I'd either become a different person or worse I'd become dependent on the stuff.

Ricky Stuart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry to ask but what/how did you get help? What got you through it?
Beyond blue helpline was where i got help from, i just called and talked to them about the problems and the gave me some ways to help stop my depression and i even attended this place were you sit in groups and just about life for about 3 days and it really helped.
And my beautiful wife and child (soon to be 2) got me through it, i just thought of them the whole time

And p.s, Assassin hope you get better soon bro

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems like there is a few of us out there with it , here's a little bit of my story.
Most of my life I've never felt "normal" despite a very good child hood growing up I have always felt something was wrong. At a very early age I found comfort in the bottle .I had trouble facing crowds, public places .
As the years went on it progressively got worse (so the drinking got more ) it was a struggle to even leave the house. Most days the symptoms of anxiety I had were many (i still didn't know what the fukk was wrong) hot flushes , pins and needles, numbness in my arm where I could not even pick up a pen. Thinking nothing was real , dizzy spells , fear of impending doom, constant sweaty palms, chest pains .and the list goes on. Nights were the worst just a pon falling asleep I'd take a gaping breath an be convinced I was going to die. Followed by the rest of the night wide awake consumed by to much fear to sleep (add 50000 thoughts going thru your head)
This went on for years the drinking got more and more .I needed a bottle of op rum for breakfast to even face leaving the house . After collapsing a few times and fukk knows how many trips to hospital for scans blood tests still couldn't find out what was wrong.
Shit got worse I couldn't handle it any more vertigo had me bed ridden for months paranoia, agrophobia depression kicked in. I was defeated. I literally tried to drink myself to death over the next few months I just didn't give a fukk. I'm not sure how I got there but I was on the ground in the er pissing my pants not know who I what the **** I was .A nurse picked me up and said I was having a panic attack. Then an there I started to listen, I let it all out on the doc and . Finally had something to work with.
Fast forward a few years things have changed a lot (due to me working my fukking ass off to find a solution) but I still suffer a lot of anxiety symptoms some days I shut down for a few days. Depression comes and goes small things can trigger it . Hopefully in another few years I will of worked on more improvements.
This is something that won't be fixed in days or months, it may never be fixed but I'm now strong enough to fight this fukker on my terms .
I had no idea it can get that bad.

I wish you the best in defeating that crap!

So what has helped you the most thus far? Is it understanding what it is, medication, therapy, etc? Also do you still drink?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It's how I used to feel all day every day
that would suck tbh, did you need to withdraw from stressful situations?

how about anyone using transcendental meditation? this is something i will try if symptoms persist

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
also its alot easier to talk to someone who isnt in it for the money, my favourite part of gta 5 was taking care of that psychiatrist and shooting him when he was trying to get away
Lol I shot him too!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing I can't do any more is weddings public speaking fukking kills me.3 times I've been best man at a wedding .and the thought of having to make a speach kills me. I once tried to break my own leg to get out of it. The last one 5 minutes before speeches I had an attack coming on .I bolted into the bathroom and was working out ways to crack my head open so I didn't have to do a speech the the fukking groom got me before I could do anything lol. I made the speech went home and was fukked

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You're a good bloke Assassin.. I got Alot of time for ya mate.. It's note true what people say about, I don't believe a word of it.
I try to be a good bloke brother. Im not an expert on this but I will try to help any way I can.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
One thing I can't do any more is weddings public speaking fukking kills me.3 times I've been best man at a wedding .and the thought of having to make a speach kills me. I once tried to break my own leg to get out of it. The last one 5 minutes before speeches I had an attack coming on .I bolted into the bathroom and was working out ways to crack my head open so I didn't have to do a speech the the fukking groom got me before I could do anything lol. I made the speech went home and was fukked
Yeah I got my bros wedding and my brother-in-laws weddingz coming up. Already packing shit. I think I have to polish off half a bottle of tequila just to stand in front of people let alone talk.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm exactly the same mate. When I get into situations like public speaking, I feel like I'm watching myself from outside my body and that 10,000 things are going through my head, to the point nothing that comes out of my mouth will make any sense. As a result if I'm forced to speak publicly, I ponder over it for an unrealistic amount of time beforehand and have to prepare for it a thousand times over no matter how small in the fear that I'll stuff up.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Beyond blue helpline was where i got help from, i just called and talked to them about the problems and the gave me some ways to help stop my depression and i even attended this place were you sit in groups and just about life for about 3 days and it really helped.
And my beautiful wife and child (soon to be 2) got me through it, i just thought of them the whole time

And p.s, Assassin hope you get better soon bro
Thanks for sharing bro, took guts.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Lol I shot him too!
he has a nice car too tbh

hes funny you are about to make a breakthrough in one of the sessions and then he cuts you off and says that all he has time for and counts his money lol, he deserved it ffs

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your mate is pretty slack for that. **** the speech!

My old man didnt want to do a speech or dance (I have never seen him dance) so I didn't make him. Why would I? If others found it odd they could have left for all I cared.