State of Origin set to return to MCG in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
State of Origin set to return to MCG in 2015

Preparing the MCG for State of Origin in the '90s. Photo: Jack Atley

Victoria has won the right to host three major representative rugby league matches in the next four years.
The MCG will host the second State of Origin match between New South Wales and Queensland in 2015 and another origin game in 2018.
AAMI Park will host the Four Nations Test between Australia and England in November.
State of Origin at the MCG

Preparing the MCG for State of Origin. Photo: Jack Atley

The Victorian government, the NRL and Victorian Rugby League will form a partnership to increase the number of players at local level in the state.
Victorian Premier Dennis Napthine said the matches would bring more activity to his state's economy.

"State of Origin’s most recent game in Melbourne, played at Etihad Stadium in 2012, attracted a sell-out crowd including more than 20,000 visitors from outside Victoria, and delivered wonderful economic benefit to the state,” Napthine said.

The premier also predicted sellout crowds for all three matches.
NRL chief executive Dave Smith said the matches would grow the game in Victoria.

"I think anyone who saw last week’s origin game in Brisbane will realise that Melbourne has secured the best sporting event in Australia,” he said.
“There is nothing which can match the passion, desperation, skill and excitement of origin at its best.”
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith said playing on the MCG would be an "enormous" experience.

"I've been lucky enough to go to four AFL grand finals and I can tell you when this ground is packed , there is no event like it," Smith said.
"It's a great opportunity and I just hope to be available for selection next year."

The MCG has been the venue for three previous origin fixtures, the first of which attracted a then-record rugby league crowd of 87,161 on June 8 in 1994.
Game two of the 1995 series and the third match in 1997 were also played at the MCG.

Melbourne last hosted a State of Origin game at a sold-out Etihad Stadium in 2012.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...mcg-in-2015-20140602-zruq0.html#ixzz33SSdjQaB

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Favours nsw imo as they were going to have another 2 games in qld next year

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I never liked Origin in Melbourne but if they can sell it out and sell the game more to Melbourne once more since the Storm won't be achieving that soon then why not?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I might go down to the mcg for this. Etihad isn't a draw card but the G is.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Was it really going to be two qld games next year? Wtf?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
mcg seems like a really bad venue to watch a league game at, could be wrong but looks like you're miles away from the action

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The MCG would suck for SOO much like Homebush.

You need binoculars to see the players from the stands. If you are watching the TV screens you may as watch it at home!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this makes alot of sense because melbourne is the capital of sports, they should move the sydney cup down there as well

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh I read it somewhere as they weren't going to go to melbourne, looks like its changed as its the MCG now and not etihad
Mcg will be pretty awesome I reckon. Worth a trip down.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember years back when there was a SOO game there players would be about to score a try and hardly anyone would cheer because alot of people had no idea what was going on and how the game worked - people in Melbourne turn up to just about anything though.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mcg will be pretty awesome I reckon. Worth a trip down.
Don't they get like 100k people for the AFL grandfinal there?

If they offer cheap enough tickets could see a 100k NRL game

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember years back when there was a SOO game there players would be about to score a try and hardly anyone would cheer because alot of people had no idea what was going on and how the game worked - people in Melbourne turn up to just about anything though.
They would know more now though right, plus Rugby League isn't that hard to follow lol

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't they get like 100k people for the AFL grandfinal there?

If they offer cheap enough tickets could see a 100k NRL game
Yeah something like that. How mental would it be? And love that it's round. Although that means some people are further away I guess. But atmosphere would be mental.

Still kicking myself for not going to the Liverpool game.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah something like that. How mental would it be? And love that it's round. Although that means some people are further away I guess. But atmosphere would be mental.

Still kicking myself for not going to the Liverpool game.
I'd feel pretty shitty if they can get a 100k for a NRL game in Melbourne before we can in Sydney lol

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There will never be a stadium like the G in Sydney. Should never have brought Stadium Australia's size down. :p

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There will never be a stadium like the G in Sydney. Should never have brought Stadium Australia's size down. :p
There might be bro, Australia is pushing to host a world cup for 2022 or 2018 aren't they?

I could see the final being played in Sydney at a 120k size Stadium somewhere lol, I also reckon we could host the world cup right now if needed no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.