Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Mbye wont play hooker. We are trying to lure lichaa over from the sharks. If he signs its 1 year for ennis max. If he doesnt then maybe 2-3. But im pretty sure des is not grooming mbye to play hooker if hes heavily chasing lichaa from the sharks.
6. Reynolds
7. Templeman
9. M'bye

???

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
A lot of the time Ennis isnt the player people focus on and doesnt score a lot of tries himself, so goes a bit unnoticed. He may not be flashy but is a great captain and we really look lost when hes not on the field. His defence is very good too.

As long as hes valuable to the team, im happy for him to play on.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
A lot of the time Ennis isnt the player people focus on and doesnt score a lot of tries himself, so goes a bit unnoticed. He may not be flashy but is a great captain and we really look lost when hes not on the field. His defence is very good too.

As long as hes valuable to the team, im happy for him to play on.
Several occasions our defence has turned to shit without him over the past few years

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ennis will stay. We need to look after him given how loyal he has been to us. Irrespective of what you guys think (of his form), he has given us 100% at all times. In saying that, I would assume his long term deal would consist of a few more years playing for us then into a coaching role.
Or refereeing. Haha

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Several occasions our defence has turned to shit without him over the past few years
every time he has been out, (even just for a half), in my memory we have lost and looked terrible the moment he left the field.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Then how do we play after he retires? We need to start with other hookers now since age is catching up to Ennis.

Ennis has served our club well and proud, I am happy that he has served us the way he has and will be happy with whatever decision he makes.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The balancing act with this is that we don't want to lose our next no.9 by trying to do the right thing by Ennis. I can agree with Tegga's plan only if Ennis shows massive improvement this year otherwise it's not worth it. Other thing is that I was hoping Mbye would get a shared role this year at hooker with Ennis leaving room for Mbye full time next year.
Unfortunately, I think the are going to have to sub him late in halves this year to bring a youngen on for FG experience. If he starts the season on fire he will force Des to hold off. He has to give us more out of dummy half. I'm a big fan of Ennis and have defended him and his antics for a long time, but as I said needs to start the season on fire.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one positive about Ennis is his defense, everything else has gradually declined, he has no speed from dummy half , his meters gained are always extremely low, he argues with refs constantly, he does the most stupid kicks and brain-dead plays when the pressure is on, he also trys to milk penalty's in the most stupidest and obvious ways which is embarrassing for the fans and also because his captain.
His served the club well but its time to hang up the boots at the end of the year and take up a coaching position or something at the club, my opinion.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Then how do we play after he retires? We need to start with other hookers now since age is catching up to Ennis.

Ennis has served our club well and proud, I am happy that he has served us the way he has and will be happy with whatever decision he makes.
Players like MBye are just out of the juniors and not ready for fulltime FG (unless a few injuries forced it sooner). Plenty of time to bring them up and sure up their defence in NSW Cup. MBye has many years left to play, and Ennis hasnt best case.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
every time he has been out, (even just for a half), in my memory we have lost and looked terrible the moment he left the field.
People just dont realise how vital he is to our defence. May be if he didnt have to make up for the other less active players in the team, he could have been more creative.

He is not a penalty magnet any more and improved his game enoremously in the last 2 years. He needs to stay on for at least another 2 years.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bobcat and the General ended at the right time and stood aside like gentlemen.
I think he should do the same.

I really enjoy Ennis as a player and sometimes feel sorry for him and the shi7 he gets from the other players and fans but i think its time for new blood in that Spot.
I think Bobcat was around 1 if not 2 years to long. Sorry that's my opinion.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The one positive about Ennis is his defense, everything else has gradually declined, he has no speed from dummy half , his meters gained are always extremely low, he argues with refs constantly, he does the most stupid kicks and brain-dead plays when the pressure is on, he also trys to milk penalty's in the most stupidest and obvious ways which is embarrassing for the fans and also because his captain.
His served the club well but its time to hang up the boots at the end of the year and take up a coaching position or something at the club, my opinion.
Agree 100%

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ennis's only plus is his defence.
Hodko has really solid defence.

6. Reynolds
7. Templeman
9. Hodko
14. Maitua (can cover hooker, centre, lock, second row)

Gives Templeman and Mbye 12 months in NSW Cup in the halves / hooker to develop into really solid players.

Ennis saying he would really want to stay at the Dogs. Lets be honest. I doubt any other club would sign him up.

Hookers over the years have changed, and its why guys like Luke are starting to shine. Cam Smith retains his spot as #1 hooker because he is able to adapt his game. Ennis is still stuck in his old ways, and unable to change.

I see Ennis as like a classic Holden. You have to respect it as a classic car, but just can't compete with modern offerings.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We whinge when players don't want to come over we whinge when they want to leave but when a great player pledges his loyalty and wants to stay we should be celebrating not whinging.

Loyal players make the best team mates its a big positive to other players it's endorsing the club. It strengthens the team to band together

So what if he whinges to the refs he's just saying what we all think anyway.
So what if he 'fakes' injuries to milk penalties we're not 14 year old school girls who get embarrassed by the slightest peculiar antic .I actually find it very amusing ( soccer players do it all the time)

He's a bloody great leader for the team and the club and a key defender.

I'm pretty sure Des instilled comradship in the team as he did with Manly so that is probably why Ennis is keen to stay on till the end.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ennis's only plus is his defence.
Hodko has really solid defence.

6. Reynolds
7. Templeman
9. Hodko
14. Maitua (can cover hooker, centre, lock, second row).
I don't know why anyone keeps putting trents name up as our next hooker. Has he even ever played there? He is solid in the few tackles he makes a game, but week in week out 40 tackles in the middle is a bit different. I also can't see many number sevens jumping at the idea of moving to hooker. And how slow would he be taking a run.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hodko actually has pace, but can't sustain it. In the games he ran the ball last year, it normally resulted in points.

He's got good passing, fairly solid build, and at least can kick a damn ball. He's not our answer in the halves at the moment, so why not try him at hooker.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
People are actually putting Templeman at halfback? wtf?

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another downfall is, yes we may keep Ennis on with reduced minutes but if we're attempting to blood someone young for the role of hooker, that means a bench spot is being taken up to have them interchange.
People can say Ennis is a good defender and a good leader and no one is saying he isn't, but you also can't deny the fact that we are lacking that extra spark from dummy half that a lot of the most threatening teams have, imagine what we could be like if we could speed up the ruck just that bit more, our forwards rolling up the field instead of stop start, it'd be like back in 04-06

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don't keep him I think he'll end up at dad's army, but overall I think the best option is to give him a one year extension and bleed some new blood along the way as some of you have mentioned he his very passionate and very loyal and loves the club so why not do good by him and keep him at the club as a player or staff but to keep him as a player beyond 2015 would be a joke we can't lose anymore juniors

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Loyalty? You guys talk about loyalty? Unfortunately there is no loyalty in any form of sports these days. It's all about business.

I want a premiership and I think we need to look to our juniors now for the future.

I have never really being an Ennis fan. I love the passion he shows of the field for the Dogs but on the field he has cost us some games

Status
Not open for further replies.