Fullback Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Not looking good now. We had shown interest in a few players. Hayne, Hoffman, Hoppa, Moltzen, and Locke. Not one now is looking likely to join.

Morris also is likely to be on the outer, if he is forced to play fullback next season. He only agreed to it, on the basis that it would be short term. Not to the point were his rep career would be in jeopardy. He wont be at the club beyond his contract, if that is the case. He is also one of the fair few players, who had been giving the run around surrounding a new contract.

If this continues, then we are in trouble for next year. The retention team have some serious questions to answer. Very concerned at this stage. Had heard the news about morris from last week. Just needed some confirmation from TG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am concerned aswell now, the NRL allowed this to happen they should do something to help fix it to be honest. Why shaft an important entity in your business model?

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Looks like Benny Barba got the final laugh eh!

I think our board are satisfied with just making the 8 every year. Standards have dropped at this club.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
Now is a good a time as any to mould some juniors. Pat Templeman is looking good for a shot at fullback.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am concerned aswell now, the NRL allowed this to happen they should do something to help fix it to be honest. Why shaft an important entity in your business model?
Mate we did this to ourselves... we had the opportunity to make an example of B Barba but chose not too. As usual we bent over and copped it, the same way we did with the polar bear...

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now is a good a time as any to mould some juniors. Pat Templeman is looking good for a shot at fullback.
too skinny, and suspect in defence... unless we get him same training regime that George burgess did last year he wont be ready.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not looking good now. We had shown interest in hoppa, hayne, locke and hoffman. All have now rejected to join. We were interested in moltzen at some stage as well.

Morris also is likely to be on the outer, if he is forced to play fullback next season. He only agreed to it, on the basis that it would be short term. Not to the point were his rep career would be in jeopardy. He wont be at the club beyond his contract, if that is the case. He is also one of the fair few players, who had been giving the run around surrounding a new contract.

If this continues, then we are in trouble for next year. The retention team have some serious questions to answer. Very concerned at this stage. Had heard the news about morris from last week. Just needed some confirmation from TG.
Retaining Morris is a no brainer if you ask me, if the club are seriously going to put him in jeopardy of leaving and having no possible fullback replacement then some people need to be given the tap on shoulder by Castle period.

You are suppose to learn from past mistakes and to me they don't look like they are trying too or bothered to so yeah...

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate we did this to ourselves... we had the opportunity to make an example of B Barba but chose not too. As usual we bent over and copped it, the same way we did with the polar bear...
Yeah it seems like most of it has come from us but regarding player contract issues isn't it the NRL who has the final say since it is legally binding to their organisation (from what I believe)?

too skinny, and suspect in defence... unless we get him same training regime that George burgess did last year he wont be ready.
Agreed here, he really needs to get a build similar to Morris or Hayne (the ideal build for a modern day fullback) to be ready for the physicality that first grade offers.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Saying we're more interested in Hoffman than Locke. Not sure how accurate this article is, but I'd rather Hoffman.
Hoffman could be a possibility as he wants to play fullback but the Broncos signed Barba who is a fullback. I think earlier this year Hoffman was annoyed he couldn't cement his fullback position and was shafted to the wing or out the team for others to play fullback.

Frustration might lead him to leave and try our team as a possibility but his cousin might have put some ill words about our club in his ear :S

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This is really unacceptable. The other thing of note is that none of those players mentioned wanted to come to the dogs which highlights a problem and a really big question, Why? 3 of those 5 players careers are at a crossroads where you would think they would jump at an opportunity. If that's Morris's position than I say don't risk it and keep him at his chosen centre position.

Maybe you insiders may be able to advise us as to where this problem is stemming from within the administration because until now (choosing to believe this info) other than BB I thought our club was travelling ok. I have a feeling there is something very wrong here if a rich club with the best facilities, premiership winning coach and the talent in our team can't attract players??? If we can't attract and sign a player for 2014 who can seriously help and add to our lack of attacking options than we are wobbling already for next year.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of all fullbacks mentioned so far only hoppa in my eyes is a real chance.

Hayne doesn't have a get out clause, scrap that. Hoffman lives in QLD, Locke lives in NZ. They obviously want to stay where they are and not move. Its a big decision to make to move states/countries.

Hoppa on the other hand does have a get out clause, but in saying that he would be contradicting his 2 year Mormon service if he quits the eels and goes to any other club.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am very sad reading this thread. It really isn't making me look forward to next year at all.

Some people behind the scenes at our club are absolutely disgraceful and have a lot of questions to answer.

The most frustrating thing is that they will never even have to front the fans and we will just be kept out of the loop and made to cop whatever happens.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
The members awards night was a great chance to ask a few questions. Unfortunately that was cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.