Tallis: "Barba should pay his own transfer fee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score

FORMER Broncos great Gorden Tallis believes Ben Barba and Anthony Milford should have to pay their own transfer fees if they’re serious about the family reasons to move to Brisbane.

Tallis offered St George his entire $450,000 Super League contract when he wanted to move to Brisbane, but was rejected and instead sat out the entire 1996 season so he could be with his family in Queensland.

Barba and Milford have both requested compassionate releases from their NRL deals at Canterbury and Canberra so they can return to Queensland where they will most likely sign with the Broncos.

Both players would almost certainly receive upgraded contracts in Brisbane and it is the financial gain that has raised suspicion about the duo profiting from compassionate releases.

Tallis said the simple answer is for Barba and Milford to forfeit their excess salary back to their current clubs.
"Whatever Brisbane pay them over and above what they’re on, the Raiders and Bulldogs should get," Tallis said.

"I’ve got nothing wrong with the players wanting to be around family. I know what they’re feeling.

"Everything becomes secondary when family is involved.

"I understand all that, but don’t try and go and play for another club and get out of your contract. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. That is why the game is not believing that its about family"
"Don’t think you can just go elsewhere and get more money."

The Courier Mail understands such a scenario has been discussed for Barba as his current deal is worth less than $400,000 while he could command up to $700,000 from the Broncos or Gold Coast Titans next season.

The Bulldogs could demand Barba pays for a release, as was the case with Sonny Bill Williams, so that his only benefit next season is being closer to his family as per the reason of his release.

The other option is the Bulldogs negotiate directly with Barba’s club of choice for a transfer fee which would not count under the salary cap. .

Tallis had told Triple M radio the Raiders should play hardball with Milford, who sought a release six weeks ago to be home with his ill father in Brisbane, later adding the young fullback should leave Canberra immediately if the situation was that concerning.

"The Raiders need to dig their heels in," Tallis said.

"If his family is really sick then you go home straight away"
"It’s a no brainer, football or family, I know which one comes first. That is why I moved to Queensland and why I sat out a season to be with them.

"If he asked six weeks ago for a release well then his dad has been sick since then and he should be there already.

"I would be home with them now and the furthest thing from my mind when my dad was sick was footy."

Makes a valid point. If Barba is seriously only concerned about family he should be prepared to sit out season.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering something like this came out of talis mouth then I'd say the world does agree on some things. But I don't think barba should sit out a season. He should just pay the extra money his getting paid with broncos for the next two years to bulldogs. He shouldn't be on more cause that's just bullshit. If its family as talis said then sign for $400 and that's it. Just another way of seeing how bullshit all this is

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think we need to make a point and say no release till we sign a replacement. I dont care if that means he plays nsw cup or even sits out a season. These sooks need to be taught the hard way what a contract is.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Or even drag it out so he misses the pre-season with Broncs and goes into next season under done!

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i agree with this i still believe players that break deals should also be unable to lay against their former club for the remainder of what was their old deal regardless of it means missing a gf

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would actually make sure he would be on less money elsewhere then he is on here now. That would really sort out whether or not this is about family or if the main reason is actually coin.

How you ask?

If he is on $400k here and Broncoes are offering $700k then we get the $400k and Barba can take the $300k for the remainder of the contract he had with us (2 seasons).

That way it would solve a few problems.

We feel like we have been properly compensated and Barba will prove that it wasn't all about the money. (Which I truly believe this is what it's really all about).

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will say that my above post is not ideal as the best possible scenario would be we get a Billy Slater/Greg Inglis type of player so that we really don't lose anything on the paddock but we all know that just is not going to happen and we will one way or another be at a loss.

So i see the next best thing being us moving on and releasing Barba asap while he also has to cop a hit to his pocket for the whole situation.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I still say let the dirty rat bastard rot in reserves until we find a replacement.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would actually make sure he would be on less money elsewhere then he is on here now. That would really sort out whether or not this is about family or if the main reason is actually coin.

How you ask?

If he is on $400k here and Broncoes are offering $700k then we get the $400k and Barba can take the $300k for the remainder of the contract he had with us (2 seasons).

That way it would solve a few problems.

We feel like we have been properly compensated and Barba will prove that it wasn't all about the money. (Which I truly believe this is what it's really all about).
can we really release a contracted player like this? can we do the same with trex ? just askin

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what i really hate about all of this.

It hurts us as adults the way he is shitting on our club but it upsets young kids like my 9yr old son. They hear all the shit at school etc. When this first come to head i explained that he was doing it for his kids/family and my son could accept that but kids talk at school etc. They have seen the "sterlo" interview etc.

My son has a fair amount of Doggies memoribilia and it is predominantly Barba stuff.

I just want him gone now.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
can we really release a contracted player like this? can we do the same with trex ? just askin
T-Rex is a winner out of all this bullshit, all the focus is off him and on the rat bastard now lol

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it would have to be a condition agreed upon by both parties in the case of us granting the release.

You have to remember that Barba is the one wanting to break the contract which really gives the Bulldogs a pretty strong hand here.

We can just say no, or we can put a solution like the one i posted to him and see if he wants to accept it.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well it would have to be a condition agreed upon by both parties in the case of us granting the release.

You have to remember that Barba is the one wanting to break the contract which really gives the Bulldogs a pretty strong hand here.

We can just say no, or we can put a solution like the one i posted to him and see if he wants to accept it.
Barba is homesick and club is sick of T rex.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score

FORMER Broncos great Gorden Tallis believes Ben Barba and Anthony Milford should have to pay their own transfer fees if they’re serious about the family reasons to move to Brisbane.

Tallis offered St George his entire $450,000 Super League contract when he wanted to move to Brisbane, but was rejected and instead sat out the entire 1996 season so he could be with his family in Queensland.

Barba and Milford have both requested compassionate releases from their NRL deals at Canterbury and Canberra so they can return to Queensland where they will most likely sign with the Broncos.

Both players would almost certainly receive upgraded contracts in Brisbane and it is the financial gain that has raised suspicion about the duo profiting from compassionate releases.

Tallis said the simple answer is for Barba and Milford to forfeit their excess salary back to their current clubs.
"Whatever Brisbane pay them over and above what they’re on, the Raiders and Bulldogs should get," Tallis said.

"I’ve got nothing wrong with the players wanting to be around family. I know what they’re feeling.

"Everything becomes secondary when family is involved.

"I understand all that, but don’t try and go and play for another club and get out of your contract. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. That is why the game is not believing that its about family"
"Don’t think you can just go elsewhere and get more money."

The Courier Mail understands such a scenario has been discussed for Barba as his current deal is worth less than $400,000 while he could command up to $700,000 from the Broncos or Gold Coast Titans next season.

The Bulldogs could demand Barba pays for a release, as was the case with Sonny Bill Williams, so that his only benefit next season is being closer to his family as per the reason of his release.

The other option is the Bulldogs negotiate directly with Barba’s club of choice for a transfer fee which would not count under the salary cap. .

Tallis had told Triple M radio the Raiders should play hardball with Milford, who sought a release six weeks ago to be home with his ill father in Brisbane, later adding the young fullback should leave Canberra immediately if the situation was that concerning.

"The Raiders need to dig their heels in," Tallis said.

"If his family is really sick then you go home straight away"
"It’s a no brainer, football or family, I know which one comes first. That is why I moved to Queensland and why I sat out a season to be with them.

"If he asked six weeks ago for a release well then his dad has been sick since then and he should be there already.

"I would be home with them now and the furthest thing from my mind when my dad was sick was footy."

Makes a valid point. If Barba is seriously only concerned about family he should be prepared to sit out season.
love this idea as it would prevent players going just for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.