Health Insurance and Credit Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Natboy

Did you get free NIB shares too mate? I was cheering when I found out recently they owed me a few hundred in dividends I hadn't been paid!
I thought that only happened in monopoly :grinning:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Did you get free NIB shares too mate? I was cheering when I found out recently they owed me a few hundred in dividends I hadn't been paid!
I thought that only happened in monopoly :grinning:
To be honest I have no idea lol thanks for the heads up, ill check it out

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
It's always good to have health insurance, not just for the tax benefits.

I have had continued health insurance since I was young, last year I had a virus that hit my heart causing heaps of problems for my health, I had a pacemaker implanted 5 weeks ago, cost me 500 bucks in excess and basically only waited 1 week. The operation cost 70k with a minimum 6 months waiting list. I WAS healthy until that virus hit me.

Moral of the story, if you can afford it, it's worth having. Btw, I'm with NIB and my son is covered at no extra cost until he is 21 which is pretty good.
Wow that's crazy - I hope everything's all sweet now mate. I guess you just never know, do you.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy - I hope everything's all sweet now mate. I guess you just never know, do you.
Out of the blue bro, I was a bouncer and playing footy, fit as a bull, then I got this air born virus which fucked me.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't get a credit card.

If you want to have payment options without accessing credit, ask your bank for a debit mastercard or visa card.

Acts just like a credit card, but it is linked to your account. Uses your own funds. If you don't have the funds it will reject.

Credit cards are a terrible trap. I am still paying the price.

N

Natboy

Don't get a credit card.

If you want to have payment options without accessing credit, ask your bank for a debit mastercard or visa card.

Acts just like a credit card, but it is linked to your account. Uses your own funds. If you don't have the funds it will reject.

Credit cards are a terrible trap. I am still paying the price.
I agree 100%. You are travelling along fine then maybe book a holiday, need a new TV, fridge etc, do the occasional cash advance then BOOM, it takes years to reign it back in. The bloody things set me back until I consolidated all of my debts. Took ages

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you get an online quote with iselect they will hassle the shit out of you if you use your real phone number
Same thing happened to me. I now put in a fake number. But ffs they kept calling for over 2 months until I told them flat out not interested and I didn't want them calling me. Calls stopped.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
18 year old Rodzilla with a credit card = retard

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
18 year old Rodzilla with a credit card = retard
That's what I was worried about, but I HOPE I would be sensible enough to avoid getting myself into too much trouble.

The main thing that got me thinking about it is my other mate (same age) who has already received 3 international flights from points alone over the space of about 5 years. That being said, it seems like there are 9 credit card horror stories to every 1 positive story.

N

Natboy

That's what I was worried about, but I HOPE I would be sensible enough to avoid getting myself into too much trouble.

The main thing that got me thinking about it is my other mate (same age) who has already received 3 international flights from points alone over the space of about 5 years. That being said, it seems like there are 9 credit card horror stories to every 1 positive story.
Your mate is definitely using his credit card a hell of a lot, unless by international it was bali or NZ. Even then that's a lot
Honestly mate, don't get one until you a 100% you'll use it responsibly
They just design these point systems to suck people in. If you saved the money you would spend on fees & interest & put it away you'll be surprised how it would build up. I have mates in their mid 30's struggling with credit card debts

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Does he have his own business? Putting business expenses through your card is the ONLY way this would be possible.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Does he have his own business? Putting business expenses through your card is the ONLY way this would be possible.
He did, and his missus is also reasonably high in her position at ANZ

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Been in the credit card industry for 7 years, I know the game and I know exactly how it works.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
Compare the Market (Compare the Meerkat Insurance)

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the medicare levy, I thought it was only benificial to have private health care if your annual income is over $80k? otherwise it doesnt effect you?

Can someone clarify this?

N

Natboy

If you are single and earn more than $84,000 you will not pay the medicare levy if you have private health insurance hospital cover.
If you are a family (or couple) that earns more than $168,000 you will not have to pay the medicare levy if all members have hospital cover.
In all the years I've been forced to pay health insurance I've never made a claim. It's shit

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if If you are single and earn less than $84,000 and don't have any cover? Will you then need to pay a levy?

N

Natboy

I don't think so but am not 100% sorry. There is a calculator on the ATO website from memory.
Any accountants on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.