Referees boss Bill Harrigan admits video referee should not have awarded Greg Inglis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
NSW coach Ricky Stuart last night revealed referees boss Bill Harrigan admitted video referee Sean Hampstead should never have awarded Greg Inglis's controversial 73rd-minute try

Inglis clearly knocked on after the ball ricocheted from Robbie Farah's boot onto the Queensland centre's forearms.

It bounced forward into the Blues' in-goal before Inglis planted the ball.

Yet despite numerous replays, Hampstead awarded the try to Inglis, sealing the 18-10 victory for the Maroons.

"Bill Harrigan admitted that the Inglis try should never have been awarded," Stuart told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"And that Greg Bird should not have been penalised for the lifting tackle on Cooper Cronk in the first half.

"He also said Akuila Uate should have been given a penalty when he was elbowed in the head (by Cameron Smith)."

The questionable decisions followed on from Matt Cecchin's first-half sin-binning of Blues centre Michael Jennings.

Earlier at the post-match press conference, Stuart was reluctant to criticise the referees.

"We won't be commenting on any decision in regards to referees tonight," Stuart said through gritted teeth.
In the wash-up, Jennings was slapped with a grade-one contrary conduct charge for charging in and belting Maroons winger Brent Tate in the back of the head. He will be sidelined for a week regardless of his plea.

Worse still for the Blues, Queensland head to ANZ Stadium on June 13 looking to sweep the series and claim their seventh in a row.
History can wait. But about the Inglis try? With seven minutes to go, with his side holding on to a 12-10 lead, the Maroons freight train was awarded the try.
Gallen detonated when the decision eventually came down.
"This is getting out of control," bellowed NSW captain. "This is ridiculous where this is getting."

"He's ruled that it's come off the arm or the leg," referee Ben Cummins said to him.

"He f ... ing dropped the ball," Gallen fumed. "They've had the rub of the green all night. This is out of control. This is ridiculous where this is getting."

Oddly, Stuart said afterwards he believed it was a try.
Was he being sarcastic? Who would know?
"I think it was a try, actually," Stuart said.
"I knew they were going to give it a try.
"They didn't know. They kept having a look at it, but I was very confident they were going to award it."
Maroons prop Matt Scott had sparked the first-half brawl when he threw the ball at lock Greg Bird's head, with players from both sides quickly becoming involved.
Jennings seemingly ran in from interstate, a right-hand haymaker collecting the back of Tate's head.
"It was a silly action," Stuart conceded of Jennings rushing in.
"I won't comment further on that. I wish more people were involved.
"He was the ninth one to run in. A few of them must have popped out of the ground."

Gallen had a running battle with the officials all night, and you can expect a searching inquisition to start as soon as today.

As the players left the field at half-time, the anger of Gallen towards rookie referee Cecchin was palpable. He chased the whistleblower as they left the field and voiced his disapproval at some of his calls.
Stuart's barely veiled rage was not matched by Maroons coach Mal Meninga and his captain Cameron Smith.
Of the Inglis try, Meninga said: "Yes, that's the rules. You can strike at the ball but then it is play on. It was a fair try. Is that the story? Trying to be controversial?"
Meninga described the Jennings punch that led to his sin-binning as a "deliberate act".

Smith agreed: "Jennings came in as the third man and got him in the back of the head."

Said Stuart: "The first six questions you asked Mal were about the referee. Most of you here are experienced rugby league journalists, and have seen a lot of football. Write what Mal and you think."

What did we think? It doesn't really matter. They were two decisions that decided the game.

Doubtless, though, Stuart and his players have searched for years to work out how to beat Queensland.

Now they will think they have to beat the refs, too.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-greg-inglis-try/story-e6frexv9-1226365092333

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gee, when Billy actually admits that the refs were wrong,it's got to be a monumental c*ck up!

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listened to Billy on the grill team. He said he did not and still hasnt spoken to Stuart and that he agree's with the try being awarded. Phil Rothfield is at it again. He is the one who should be sacked

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe Stuart should take responsibility for picking the same old names each year that underperform.

How can you pick Hayne when their sides won a single game all year? How can you pick Jennings who was dropped to NSW Cup and has been average all year?

Stuart again looking for excuses to cover his own arse. Oh and whose brain explosion was it to go for a goal kick 40m out with a penalty? Sack them too Stuart!

Pink Pikachu

~Kayley~
Reaction score
Blatant lie by the Daily Telegraph, as stated by serb, Bill Harrigan has said no such thing, just listen to the grill team podcast, this is what he said:

"if someone plays at the ball to stop a try and the ball comes loose, it's line ball (i.e. free for all) and if the ball is then grounded then it's a try".

Phil Rothfield, how you still have a job I have NFI, never believe anything you read in the telegraph.

nasals

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What Bill Harrigan said is what I always thought the rule was, I have noticed very biased reporting not only in the papers but on Fox News about this try.

At the end of the day they didn't score enough points to win the match, QLD seem to lift when they need it and NSW can't.

They should keep this team , I thought they all played great and will be hard to beat in Sydney.

If they chop and change again then they get what they deserve.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Bill Harrigan press conference at 2.30 outside NRL HQ

Perhaps after a visit to the hair dresser and a Lowes photo shoot, I haven't confirmed that bit yet.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Stuart should take responsibility for picking the same old names each year that underperform.

How can you pick Hayne when their sides won a single game all year? How can you pick Jennings who was dropped to NSW Cup and has been average all year?

Stuart again looking for excuses to cover his own arse. Oh and whose brain explosion was it to go for a goal kick 40m out with a penalty? Sack them too Stuart!
Hayne looked dangerous every time he touched the ball and so did Jennings. Those 2 are our best 2 options in those positions. Tell me who you'd rather he picked and who wouldve done a better job

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hayne looked dangerous every time he touched the ball and so did Jennings. Those 2 are our best 2 options in those positions. Tell me who you'd rather he picked and who wouldve done a better job
Porbably Michael Lett..he could cover both positions

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score

Just last year every blues supporter was saying to stick with the same team instead of changing it up every game. Jarryd Hayne and Jennings have both been proven to be quality players at SOO level.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHA Harrigan blasted Ricky Stuart for making up BS! and the official word now:

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-origin-1-decisions/tabid/11019/newsid/67633/default.aspx

Referees co-coach Bill Harrigan answers your most frequently asked questions from State of Origin Game One.

What did you think about the decision to sin-bin NSW centre Michael Jennings?

I fully support this decision. Michael Jennings ran from a distance and threw a punch that connected and was rightly sin-binned. Matt Scott was cautioned by the referee and was told that he was lucky to stay on the field after throwing the ball at Greg Bird and starting the melee. Had he been sin-binned, I would have been happy with that decision as well.

Could Cameron Smith have been penalised for collecting Akuila Uate high in a tackle?

This was purely accidental, Uate fell into Cameron Smith and in the game of rugby league there is always accidental contact.

What are your thoughts on the lifting tackle by NSW forward Greg Bird, should it have earned a penalty?

No, it should have been play on. It was a good, hard tackle.

Could Jarryd Hayne have been penalised for striking Johnathan Thurston while in possession of the ball?

Yes, he could have been.

What did you think about the decision to award Greg Inglis a try in the 72nd minute?

Greg Ingis had possession of the ball and was trying to ground the ball. Robbie Farah, in desperation to prevent the try, changed his running gait and threw his leg out. In doing so, he dislodged the ball, so therefore it is deemed that he played at the ball. The ball is still live.

It does rebound off Greg Inglis’s forearm after it was dislodged, but he did not play at it, it was a rebound and then he grounded the ball.

For these reasons, I agree with the decision to award a try.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he didn't play at the ball? that'll do me

that's a knock on any day of the week

i do realise 'some' things get ignored in origin, i just didn't realise it was also something that would have been deemed a knock on in any game of NRL

i'm not suggesting it decided the game, but it did happen at a point where nsw COULD have staged a comeback.

fair dinkum

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
tbh he didnt play at the ball. Farah kicked it out of his hand and it went straight into his forearm. Unless he is superman, he had no chance of moving his forearm. No one has that kind of reaction time. It was a gay way to score a try and such an anti climax but in theory its still a try.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
come back when you have a clue mr invisible
I agree with the 40m kick though, should never have been taken!! should have kept the pressure on, Sticky's face in the Coach's Box said it all.
Poor captaincy but, in saying that the NSW Captain as usual played his heart out if not more, he has amazing stamina!!

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Blatant lie by the Daily Telegraph, as stated by serb, Bill Harrigan has said no such thing, just listen to the grill team podcast, this is what he said:

"if someone plays at the ball to stop a try and the ball comes loose, it's line ball (i.e. free for all) and if the ball is then grounded then it's a try".

Phil Rothfield, how you still have a job I have NFI, never believe anything you read in the telegraph.
Why do you assume it was the Tele who lied? Sure the tele have printed many a beat up story before....but they simply would not be able to attribute direct quoptes to Stuart i9f he didn't say them....journalists don't just invent quotes...it is the stories where quotes are lacking we should be the most wary of. Either Harragon is lying...or Stuart is lying I'd say. Journalist6s make all kinds of crap up...but they don't invent direct quotes.

P

Paint.

Smith agreed: "Jennings came in as the third man and got him in the back of the head."
This is where you know that they're making up ****... he hit him square in the chin, not the back of his head, you inbred cnt.

Jennings definitely didn't deserve to be sin binned. He was one of 13-15 players involved in the fight, and one of around 3 or 4 that landed hits. Matt Scott was the one who started the fight.
Besides, does one punch warrant a sin bin, especially in origin? Remember when Luke O'Donnell lifted Boyd and dumped him on his head, injured him, then in the ensuing fight, had his jersey ripped, headbutted Dave Taylor before punching him in the jaw?

He only got put on report.

Man up, refs. You're ruining rugby league and State of Origin... it's Mate v Mate for a reason, passion is going to overflow and fights will start. Don't punish someone for knowing how to fight, stop making the game soft.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
it was the fact he ran in from lebanon to throw a hail mary. That's why he was sin binned. Dumb **** should have stayed out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.