Goodbye my Idris, Goodbye Nathan Friend…

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
By Anna Barwell (aka suiker)

What a day, league lovers. Wayne Bennett leaves one steel city for another, Darius Boyd starts scoping the dimensions of the disabled cubicles at Fanny’s, and Jamal Idris confirms he’s accepted 25k per dreadlock to leave the club that unearthed his talent for the Gold Coast.

I don't love or hate Jamal Idris. He seems like a nice kid. When I was his age I was working full time for under $25k a year; who am I to judge him for being tempted by fat wads of cash waved in front of his face? I’ve often wondered if his head and heart are entirely in footy – it seems to me that he’s more interested in the doors his minor celebrity status is opening for him. From a financial and extra-curricular activity point of view, I totally get his decision to leave us. Good luck to him.

To be honest I wasn’t upset... continue reading here

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well written and totally agree. 500k per year for 5 years is a big waste of money for what they are getting and restricts there salary cap hugely in the future.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
oh dear - you can sell chilli in the eye to an Englishman. :grinning: Seriously though, I enjoyed your perspective.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I love you, Anna. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sigged!

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good job Anna!

I saw K E's sig and was wondering where it was written. Very nicely put!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good job Anna!

I saw K E's sig and was wondering where it was written. Very nicely put!
We were talking before, and I mentioned Barba. I'm not 100% sure but I'm certain he's off contract next season and while we didn't want Idris gone, the amount of money we were offering him could have been deadly in terms of keeping/losing Barba.

I know no one has mentioned Barba but we need to put things into perspective here. If you had a choice between keeping a centre with potential or a fullback with massive potential, which one are you going to keep? Which position is more important? Which position is vital in actually winning a grand final?

What if we did re-sign Idris at that ridiculous 380K a season and we lost Barba the very next season? Who's to blame for that?

Like I said before, we, Anna and I, didn't want Idris gone at all costs but to throw that kind of money at a centre, especially when your fullback is off contract next season is just plain stupid and would have undone pretty much all of the good work, in terms of recruitment and retention, Todd Greenberg has done for us. He was willing to pay overs (assuming the 380K was correct) but he made the smart decision in not paying anywhere near the brain dead price Titans did.

People need to remember that and understand the team's priorities.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Anna, Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
Just read that piece Anna.- Very good, well thought out.
Makes me feel better this Thursday morning after yesterday.
I'm glad you said that you are MUCH better looking than Daley. Our Bulldog mascot is better looking than him.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad you said that you are MUCH better looking than Daley. Our Bulldog mascot is better looking than him.
Hahahaha she meant she's prettier than me. (She isn't. Ask anyone)

And I'll be gosh darned if you mock Lawrence Daley! His blatantly obvious calls to even a blind, deaf and stupid ape would know and cliches get me through the week.

Please refrain from Putting craP on Lawrence Daley, Please. He has great legsPeed.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
We were talking before, and I mentioned Barba. I'm not 100% sure but I'm certain he's off contract next season and while we didn't want Idris gone, the amount of money we were offering him could have been deadly in terms of keeping/losing Barba.

I know no one has mentioned Barba but we need to put things into perspective here. If you had a choice between keeping a centre with potential or a fullback with massive potential, which one are you going to keep? Which position is more important? Which position is vital in actually winning a grand final?

What if we did re-sign Idris at that ridiculous 380K a season and we lost Barba the very next season? Who's to blame for that?

Like I said before, we, Anna and I, didn't want Idris gone at all costs but to throw that kind of money at a centre, especially when your fullback is off contract next season is just plain stupid and would have undone pretty much all of the good work, in terms of recruitment and retention, Todd Greenberg has done for us. He was willing to pay overs (assuming the 380K was correct) but he made the smart decision in not paying anywhere near the brain dead price Titans did.

People need to remember that and understand the team's priorities.
Exactly. Then you look at the Titans. They've got Prince - who is a great player - but he can't do it on his own. Preston is great but nearing the end of his career.

We are SO lucky we were able to replace Patten with Barba. I can see Barba growing into a class fullback and completely owning the position. He is going to be a massive signing priority in the future.

Also, I know Idris is worth a lot in terms of marketing - but so is winning a grand final.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Hahahaha she meant she's prettier than me. (She isn't. Ask anyone)

And I'll be gosh darned if you mock Lawrence Daley! His blatantly obvious calls to even a blind, deaf and stupid ape would know and cliches get me through the week.

Please refrain from Putting craP on Lawrence Daley, Please. He has great legsPeed.
Did my blog have you at sixes and sevens?

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Great read and I agree with everything you said Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.