This is why you shouldn't post BS on forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not Sure if this has been posted, im sure it has. If so, please point me to the thread and i will merge

Bulldogs seek legal advice over website's bettig allegation slur

September 24, 2010

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs will seek legal advice after a website posted an item alleging six of the club's players were involved in the NRL's match-fixing scandal and two of them faced the sack at the end of the season.

Police are currently investigating claims of irregular betting involving players and player managers, on a North Queensland Cowboys-Bulldogs match last month.

An item in website Crikey.com's Tips and Rumours section claimed "six Bulldogs players and two managers are caught up in the NRL's betting scandal. Two players face the sack at the end of the season."

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg was quick to dismiss the rumour and said he would consult the club's lawyers about having it removed.

"We'll provide that information to the club's lawyers and we'll seek their advice," Greenberg said.
"There's no substance to it.

"The Bulldogs don't deal in innuendo or speculation. We only deal in fact and that story is not fact and until such time as the police investigation is concluded we won't be making any further comment."

It has been a damaging week for the code as a text message in circulation names a player manager, two former players, a Bulldog and three Cowboys as allegedly being involved in the failed fix attempt.

The Cowboys refused to comment about the inflammatory text message when contacted on Wednesday.

Bookmakers suspended markets on the first scoring play option in the game - traditionally a novelty betting market - after an unusually large amount of money was placed on a Cowboys penalty goal in Townsville.

Bulldogs forward Ryan Tandy lost possession and gave away a penalty in the opening minute of the game, but the Cowboys chose to take a quick tap resulting in a try to Anthony Watts.

Tandy has vehemently denied any involvement in match-fixing.

The NRL enlisted the help of NSW chief racing steward Ray Murrihy detected several unusual betting trends before the matter was referred to police.

It has been reported that a player manager and a former player have been captured on CCTV security footage placing bets on a Cowboys penalty goal as the first scoring play at separate venues, although neither could face sanction from the league.

The NRL has also been forced to deny rumours it is sitting on a report and is ready to take action against the culprits involved after the grand final.

Greenberg, who said he had received the anonymous text message from a few different sources this week, said the latest rumour involving the club was further evidence that there needed to be a quick resolution to the matter.

"I've heard a rumour a day for the last two weeks," he said.

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As long as they state it is a rumour - i am pretty sure they can type whatever they want. Had they said "Six players are being investigated" it's different... (but don't quote me on that)

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Free speech? it's only allegations, the world has gone bonkers!

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now you know why we us mods and admin delete this sort of stuff.

Be careful what you say.......whooooooooo

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
pretty sure if you say:

'rumour has it that so and so is involved in match fixing' is not a crime

however saying 'so and so is involved' becomes defamatory

Ryde Bulldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Word on the street is that Haztrick is involved in match fixing SG Ball matches but only the ones played at Port Macquarie regional stadium. More information to come i suppose.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get why people do this?

im hoping all this is solved sooner than later and hopefully Tandy is free and not guilty

Moodey

Unknown
Reaction score
Boy did that website get itself in some hot water

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Crikey ... the website is going to get nailed over that.

lol

Regardless of if it is in a rumor section or not, it is defamatory to the Bulldogs club, image, and name.

Something that could end up costing the club sponsors as well!

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
Crikey also hinted earlier this year that Souths were breaching the salary cap. (Didn't completely say that, but it said something like "a 'Hollywood' NRL club could be left red-faced over large amounts of green being distributed covertly to its players", so it was pretty obvious who they were referring to.) Surprised that Rusty didn't bring out the lawyers for that

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Now you know why we us mods and admin delete this sort of stuff.

Be careful what you say.......whooooooooo
You should have deleted it more and faster. Crap like that, unless the thread title starts with Rumour... can only get this place into trouble. And i would hate anything to happen to this site.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope they sue the sh1t outta them, I hate wankas who hide behind the keyboard or phone and sling sh1t, its still defamation of character.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Top Shelf News is gagged on this topic. This is all i can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.