Ricky: Why I sacked Kimmorley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
ONE of my beliefs is that you play your football the same way you live your life off the field. They cannot be separated.

So what happened to the Bulldogs on Friday night?
It's no secret my problems with Brett Kimmorley go back to when I dropped him in Origin in 2005. He threw an intercept pass, we lost the game, and I dropped him.

That's how people saw it. Grossly unfair, they said, and many still believe it. The crux of Canterbury's problems on Friday go as far back as then, and possibly further.

And while the hype about Kimmorley's form has glossed over the flaws that were evident then, it's what cost the Bulldogs on Friday. If Matt Orford turned in a performance like Kimmorley did on Friday night the critics would be all over him.

Kimmorley has escaped any criticism.

For the record, his Origin sacking had nothing to do with the intercept.

Nobody ever gets dropped for one mistake. Kimmorley got dropped because four times we got in Queensland territory and, when he ran out of options midway through our sets, he kicked for himself and turned the ball over before we had even got to tackle five. Tackles three and four.

That's what put us in the position to be beaten in extra time. I also told him all week at training I wanted him standing deep to avoid the Steve Price charge-downs.

He said he preferred to stand flat, because he was used to the flat style of attack that was then in fashion. We butted heads until I finally said, do it your way. I was trying to show faith in him.

Three times he got charged down, and each time we were under pressure with Queensland starting a fresh set in good field position.

The intercept excuse is a myth and yet Kimmorley has been happy to let it run. And to be honest, I never cared either way because I knew the truth.
So did he.

I learned then that Kimmorley was not a big-match player - not the kind who can get you over the line in big games, like Andrew Johns or Darren Lockyer. And I knew that when I later moved to Cronulla. We tried our best to work together, but it didn't work.

And given his form this year, people have been saying: "How could the Sharks and Ricky Stuart let Brett Kimmorley go?''

Again I have no problem with that because the media and the fans who pay good money to go to the footy each week are also entitled to their thoughts. But I let Brett Kimmorley go because I didn't think the Sharks could win a premiership while he was here.

His performance on Friday night against Parramatta justified that.

He criticised me in Friday's Daily Telegraph, which I have copped all year.
But I did take exception to him saying he was now at a club that shared a similar "family'' philosophy to him, which is why I respond today. That deeply offended my players who, all year, played under tremendous adversity but never once whinged or dogged it.

A couple of Bulldogs players texted me on Friday asking why he would do this to them on their big day. I had no answer, but it showed me that they were distracted by it. And showed me what I know. On the day of the biggest game of his team's year, Kimmorley was about himself.

That's why my board clapped the night I told them I had released Kimmorley. One sponsor was very, very happy. Two years ago, I offered Brett one of the biggest contracts in Cronulla history over three years.

I was obviously keen for him to stay because you don't get rid of a player unless you have a better one to replace him, and at the time Trent Barrett was not an option. So I was pressing his manager George Mimis for a decision. At the same time, George was trying to do the best for his client and was in the UK shopping him around to Super League clubs. This went on for a couple of weeks and I couldn't get a decision, so I had to start thinking about other options. I kept the offer on the table for Brett - but reduced it by $100,000. He eventually signed.

Then last year he again started shopping himself around the UK. It was obvious he didn't want to be at Cronulla, so I made the call that he could move on.

He spoke to the Bulldogs and another couple of clubs before settling on Belmore. His Friday night performance just told me everything I know. From the poor kicks that failed to put any pressure on Parramatta to the lack of leadership midway through the second half when the Dogs were desperate for it.

You only have to sit and ask yourself what Johns or Lockyer would have been doing in similar circumstances. I have said all along that players can play well all season, but it's the big games at the end of the season that really count.

Let's not forget we finished equal first last year, with Kimmorley as our playmaker, and then got knocked out of the comp in the same game Canterbury did on Friday.

To win finals you need big-game players, and nothing I have seen lately has changed my mind on that. He has enjoyed his footy there and had a good season. Good luck to him.

The Bulldogs have done a wonderful rebuild this year and Kevin Moore, Todd Greenberg and the players deserve every bit of credit that has come their way.

But it was there for all to see at a packed ANZ Stadium on Friday night, the very reason I chose to let him go. Sure, his form all season has been consistently good, but in the game that mattered most, I think Brett would be the first to admit he didn't deliver what his club wanted.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
well ricky may have some good points about kimmorley and his game but other then that... he is just having his usual sook...

ricky has to remember that it was Kimmorley who led the sharks to the semi finals footy last season true? since they got barrett... sharks have been a much dismal failure with leadership and directness in attack which kimmorley had with them and now us.

to say that kimmorley chokes in big games is a huge under statement.

we have played big games this season and there were games where kimmorley stood up and led our team around.

oh and plus... Kimmorley was coming back from a serious injury after having 1 month off playing football and funny how he didnt mention that

za_za360

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its funny that Ricky chose to say this after the game ... had the Bulldogs one Im certain he wouldnt have said anything.
Furthermore, any player with 5 weeks out of footy will tire in the 2nd half ...
Seems like Ricky has taken a leaf out of Phil Goulds book, i.e. stating your opinion after the fact. Next time grow some balls Ricky.

zeedog

Bulldog Fanatic
Reaction score
3 questions for Ricky:

1) Which big game player has he got now after letting Kimmorley go?
2) Where is his team now after coming equal first last year?
3) What he has to say about Kimmorleys leadership in SOO III, where he lead NSW to victory putting spanner in the works for QLD dream of achieving clean sweep?

In the end Kimmorley was one of our best players on Friday, with a busted cheek and playing with never say die attitude. It was the offloads which killed us not Kimmorley you idiot!

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a weak a-hole, go **** yourself Ricky, you failed at the Roosters, you failed as the aussie coach, and you're failing miserably at Cronulla, you're a **** coach.

BTW, I remember your kick in a finals game in 99 for us as half back that handed melbourne storm victory and ultimately the premiership. So a big FU!

EDIT: sure he won a premiership in 02 with a team he inherited in a finals race that was pretty much handed to the Roosters once the Dogs were docked 37 points. So his win as coach should be an empty one, But hey, I'm sure he'll take anything he can get and claimed he earned it.

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everything Ricky Stuart said is the truth. Kimmorley is a choker.

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
3 questions for Ricky:

1) Which big game player has he got now after letting Kimmorley go?
2) Where is his team now after coming equal first last year?
3) What he has to say about Kimmorleys leadership in SOO III, where he lead NSW to victory putting spanner in the works for QLD dream of achieving clean sweep?

In the end Kimmorley was one of our best players on Friday, with a busted cheek and playing with never say die attitude. It was the offloads which killed us not Kimmorley you idiot!

Cronulla don't need a 'big game' player because they'll never play the big games.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
What a whiny little cawk !

Mofo has been death riding us the whole time !

And cast your mind back to State of Origin 3 this year Ricky ...... it's amazing what results can be delivered when players are coached right eh ?

Markb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why Ricky should be sacked from his position.

1.His decision last year saw his team go from equal first to equal last and our team go from last to first.

2.Name a "big game" where Barret has succeeded

3. Makes the biggest thug in the game his team captain

4. Lost an unlossable world cup on home soil

5. Gets rid of a winger who under Ricky's coaching was in reserve grade and under K Moore becomes one of the top 3 try scores of the year.

6. Were the sponsers happy when Reni got banned for 2 years for drug use...who bought him to the club

Every person who has watched any football at all knows that we had no chance of a victory on Friday night if Kimmorley . This article makes Ricky sound more bitter and twisted then i ever thought he was.

Brett Kimmorley you are very welcome at this club

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a bitter sook. Kimmorley has been great all year. Trying to justify why they made one of the worst decisions in player retention by letting him go whilst still under contract, then he goes on to have his best season. So he gave his reasons, they hate each others guts, but what about Bryson Goodwin Ricky? You couldnt win with him on the wing too? Bitter ****.

BTW, You could say the same for Lockyer. Brisbane got done last night, and also the year before in the same game, does that mean he is not a big game player? There can only be one winner. Lets have a re-cap of that semi in 1999 when every Dogs supporter wanted to glass Ricky Stuart.

MiteyDogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old is Ricky Stuart?
Sounds like he's a little 13 year old having a whinge.
He's trying to make himself feel better by talking crap about a guy who came to a club and led them to a Semi Final!
He should attack his own players & his own decisions!

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
Ricky: Why my sacking of Kimmorley has demonstrated to everyone that I am a clueless tool.

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
Ricky Stuart - Master Coach. The only thing this sooking little cock ever won as a first grade coach was a premiership stolen from us by the most outrageous penalty ever imposed on an NRL Club. AND he was punted by the Roosters after winning a premiership with them - says a lot for how much respect he had.

Parra won on Friday night not because of Noddy's quiet game, but because they handled a very-poorly refereed game better than we did, and they push 2nd phase passes at every opportunity (basically because the referees wait an eternity to call held when the pond scum is involved).

Anyway, I want to see Keating rubbed out for his bastard act on Hannant, but Hayne not be suspended for his equally-bad bastard act on Goodwin. That way the Parra sooks won't be able to moan and ***** when Melbourne hands them their arses next week. And I want to see Slater score 3 past Hayne's defence.

Not that I'm bitter about us losing or anything .....

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a a goose Stuart is.He says Kimmorley was released because he thought with him the Sharks could not win a premiership. Well without him they nearly won the wooden spoon.
Stuart is overated as a coach and its no secret that he releases players with ease because he thinks he was the worlds best halfback.
If Johns,Turvey or Sterling were playing for him he would still not be happy and find something wrong with their play.
I find it rich when he says Kimmorley isnt a big match player froma coach who lost the world cup and 2 grand finals . And his only claim to fame in coaching is the 2002 premiership and we all know what happened there.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
LOL too bad. Failure x 100. It was definitely a blessing for us. Thank God that Ricky Stuart is an idiot! :p

M

mofo sixx

#1 Without Kimmorley we would not have made the semis.

#2 Noddy played a pretty ordinary game, but i put that down to bad luck with the injury, had he not been out for a month or so, things might have panned out differently

#3 Ricky is a girls name!,

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
the only thing i agree with is that mayb the article on friday wasnt the best timing but as im sure it was done with good intent ill let it slide, but i would like to know who was texting ricky, but that could be a method to disdablaise the team either way ricky is having a cry

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ricky - what about that cross field kick in 99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett Seymour V Noddy????? yes that was a great call.

The reality is when he doesn't get his own way Ricky's face goes red and he stamps his feet.

When Ricky won big games as a player he had one of the best teams in the modern era around him.

Parramatta were a little too good for us on Friday - we had our chances but in the end they made the most of their opportunities.

Noddy played very little football in the last 6 weeks and no player is capable of playing at their absolute best with that preparation, in what was an origin like game.

Noddy in 09 versus Stuart's effort 10 years earlier in the same game - I know which one will still be etched in my mind for all the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.