Hazem sets another record … and looks for more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Hazem sets another record … and looks for more

Adrian Proszenko | May 31, 2009

HAZEM EL MASRI will today equal fellow Bulldogs legend Terry Lamb's record for the most grade games played - and has not ruled out adding another year's worth.

The 33-year-old El Masri holds just about every record for the club and will equal Lamb's 357 games against Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Jason Taylor's point-scoring record was a monkey on his back until he finally broke it against Manly in round one, but he says the latest milestone "snuck up" him.

"It's awesome, it's another milestone that I'm very proud of," El Masri told The Sun-Herald yesterday. "In the future I'll look back on it as a great achievement. It's a massive achievement to equal the record.

"Terry has always been a legend of the club, the whole community of the Canterbury district looks up to Terry. For me, he's one player whose footsteps I've tried to follow in."

El Masri has set numerous club and league records. He holds the game's point-scoring record, has joined the elite 300 NRL-game club and is No.7 on the list of all-time try scorers. But perhaps the most impressive statistic is this - 13 years at the top, zero indiscretions. And the devout Muslim, one of the game's true ambassadors, did not rule out playing for another season.

"I'm enjoying my footy so if things are going good I may keep doing it," he said. "We'll see how I go over the next month or so and make a decision then."

Lamb played for Wests and the Bulldogs. El Masri's games have all been with the Bulldogs.

"Loyalty is still there - the Bulldogs have been good to me and vice versa," he said. "I've always wanted to stick around and it's been awesome to be able to have the career all at the one club.

"Last year was tough, it was tough for everyone. The fact that I had a few injuries and then running last wasn't pleasing.

"But we're a club that are renowned for bouncing back from adversity, so we've done that well.

"Fresh signings, fresh blood, younger guys coming up, a new coach, new CEO. It's been wonderful to be a part of this, they're all good blokes.

"You enjoy turning up to training and it's a complete turnaround. The club has skyrocketed, from off the field to on the field. Hopefully we can continue doing that."

He came to Australia with his family in the 1980s. His main passion was soccer, but he has set rugby league records that might never be surpassed.

"From the moment I came to rugby league it's been a rise to the top," he said.

"I have to thank everyone around me, and thank God for letting me stay fit and healthy.

"I hope [the records] stay for a while but records are there to be broken in life. I'll just enjoy what I've achieved. When the time comes for someone else, you need to step aside and let them enjoy the glory."

League HQ

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Adrian Proszenko | May 31, 2009

Jason Taylor's point-scoring record was a monkey on his back until he finally broke it against Manly in round one, but he says the latest milestone "snuck up" him.
You mean Andrew Johns? :whacky:

bulldogs27

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Hazem, you're a good role model.
It's good to see that Haz still has the desire and determination to be successful on the field and a role model for the community.
Good Luck Hazem, we wish you all the best.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again Haz , congrats and good luck today to you & the whole team
I hope everyone once again get there and has a huge dig ..and once again i hope you come out on top...
Oh and a big win would be nice , after the dragons thrashing the panthers, theer for and against is much better than ours now

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
after this record what records/milestones r there for the great man to get that are close to being achieved i cant think of any

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an amazing man.

Even my father who isn't really into football, knows and respects Haz ....we had a discussion about it and my dad was adamant this man is not only excellent on field, but the epitome of role model off field. And for a non-league fan to recognise that, well....Haz must be doing something right. :grinning:

I hope this afternoon goes smoothly for him,and we pull in another win to celebrate ;)

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
jason taylor has 942 career goals
hazem has 836
so thats a record he could chase if he plays next year

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
he is also setting a new record as the slowest winger to ever play first grade rugby league! Well done haz but dont hang around for the records please hang up the boots at the end of the season

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good work Hazem.

Honestly, he must be so tired of talking to the media every time he breaks a record lol. They always ask him the same question. What do you expect him to say??

"Yeah it's great to break this record, Lamb is a great man so I'm very proud..."

"Yeah it's great to break this record, Lamb is a great man so I'm very proud..."

Haha, poor Arwa must wake up hearing him talk those words out in the middle of his sleep :p

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
he is also setting a new record as the slowest winger to ever play first grade rugby league! Well done haz but dont hang around for the records please hang up the boots at the end of the season
You're a douche.

**** off.

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Haz. He is a great club man and is widely respected throughout the entire league community. He deserves every record.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Don't need ****arse supporters like you here.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't need ****arse supporters like you here.
its the truth he is too slow these days. Don't you get sick of seeing the opposition constantly kick to him because he makes no meters and is usually tackled where he picks the ball up. I hate it, we pin them down their own end with some great defence then they put in a long kick to hazem and he gets tackled in the same spot as he picked it up

Status
Not open for further replies.