Give It Up For Ben Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due.

Roberts is much maligned by many of you guys on here. Alot of the criticisms are fair but also alot of people had written him off.

Myself and a few others have always maintained that when not relied upon as a playmaker and when allowed to play his natural running game he can be an extremely dangerous and good player.

Obviously consistency is always an issue for Roberts and I'm not saying that after today he will continue on with that form. But I am saying credit where credit is due.

He was easily one of our best today, he created a tonne of opportunities, took the line on and always was an attacking threat and put in some nice kicks also.

Lets hope he can continue that form.

D

dogs_4 lyf

yeep definitely agree with you.. kept putting our players on the front foot with good runs and awsome hole hitting.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due.

Roberts is much maligned by many of you guys on here. Alot of the criticisms are fair but also alot of people had written him off.

Myself and a few others have always maintained that when not relied upon as a playmaker and when allowed to play his natural running game he can be an extremely dangerous and good player.

Obviously consistency is always an issue for Roberts and I'm not saying that after today he will continue on with that form. But I am saying credit where credit is due.

He was easily one of our best today, he created a tonne of opportunities, took the line on and always was an attacking threat and put in some nice kicks also.

Lets hope he can continue that form.

Had a good game, Still through some ****house passes to kimmprley and dropped afew though, Kimmorley almost had to get down on his knees to catch afew.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
He is playing well. He looks dangerous when he runs the ball and his defence has improved out of sight

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
ben you have got to kidding he was one of our worst today had a shocking second half his 5th tackle options are terrible and lets not even get started on how far sideways he ran

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm.... yeah... Ok... I guess so...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Had a good game, Still through some ****house passes to kimmprley and dropped afew though, Kimmorley almost had to get down on his knees to catch afew.
Who cares? He still had a great game in general. You could analyse anyone's performance any game like that. Mick Ennis also kicked it out on the full once or twice and Bobcat butchered a try by throwing a pass into the 20th row. The point is everyone, even our best players make bad mistakes. Doesn't mean they still didn't have good games.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With you on that one Ben - I thought he was one of our best today. Carved it up well.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
ben you have got to kidding he was one of our worst today had a shocking second half his 5th tackle options are terrible and lets not even get started on how far sideways he ran
He created almost all of our attacking raids with his runs in Cronulla's half aside from one or two from Ennis.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who cares? He still had a great game in general. You could analyse anyone's performance any game like that. Mick Ennis also kicked it out on the full once or twice and Bobcat butchered a try by throwing a pass into the 20th row. The point is everyone, even our best players make bad mistakes. Doesn't mean they still didn't have good games.
Yeah but roberts seems to have a problem with catching passes, Its not the 1st time that his droped it cold like that, Either way id rather him there over barba.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Bobcat's pass touched by a Cronulla hand? (If you're talking about the play that I'm thinking of).

We got the feed.

?

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

ben i rarely disagree with you on actual football related matters but honestly mate you have to be watching roberts through blue and white eyes i doubt he would make 5/8 in any other side in the comp

D

dogs_4 lyf

obviously people didnt see the way he ran at the line, offloading creating second phase play.. and the gaps he kept putting runners in through sheer vision and penetration.. great to see roberts in action today:grinning:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah but roberts seems to have a problem with catching passes, Its not the 1st time that his droped it cold like that, Either way id rather him there over barba.
He does still have problems with his hands and is generally good for one or two unforced, inexplicable errors a game which are frustrating. If the good can vastly outweigh the bad like it did today though then none of that will matter.

ben i rarely disagree with you on actual football related matters but honestly mate you have to be watching roberts through blue and white eyes i doubt he would make 5/8 in any other side in the comp
This was the whole point of my thread Luke. Obviously you aren't and never have been a Roberts fan and don't rate him at all.

On the contrary I think your past views on Roberts have prevented you from making an honest and unbiased assessment of his performance today.

He was very good today and one of our best. That has nothing to do with me being a Canterbury fan, I think most observers today would say the same.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol then how is it hes had caps for new zealand? Did you watch todays game? Niffnuff.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol then how is it hes had caps for new zealand? Did you watch todays game? Niffnuff.
hehehe tbh, at the time, they had no other options in the halves. That's why IMO

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He does still have problems with his hands and is generally good for one or two unforced, inexplicable errors a game which are frustrating. If the good can vastly outweigh the bad like it did today though then none of that will matter.

This was the whole point of my thread Luke. Obviously you aren't and never have been a Roberts fan and don't rate him at all.

On the contrary I think your past views on Roberts have prevented you from making an honest and unbiased assessment of his performance today.

He was very good today and one of our best. That has nothing to do with me being a Canterbury fan, I think most observers today would say the same.

ben you could be right his previous failures could be clouding my judgement but i honestly can't see roberts ever owning the no.6 jersey

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

certainly did mate they also have played vangana at no.6 in the past showing exactly how low there stocks are in the 5/8 department and i'll stand by my post regarding roberts making starting 5/8 in any other team

viking63

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Reaction score
I have to agree he has improved alot and he looks like he his enjoying his footy more.
I also think it has a lot to do with all the new players around him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
ben you could be right his previous failures could be clouding my judgement but i honestly can't see roberts ever owning the no.6 jersey
I'm not talking about the future Luke. Like I said Roberts has always had a problem with consistency. But all I am saying is that today he was very, very good, it was encouraging to see and it would be good for everyone (even the Roberts haters like yourself :p) to acknowledge that and "give it up" for Benny Roberts.

Status
Not open for further replies.