SBW could have been a Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sonny close to signing with Warriors
By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 13 April 2008

Kiwis superstar Sonny Bill Williams wants to become a Warrior. In an exclusive interview with Sunday News, Williams last night revealed how close he came to signing for the club last year.

And he said he hoped the New Zealand NRL franchise would "leave the door open'' when his contract with the Bulldogs comes to an end.

"It's my old stamping ground over here and I do have a soft spot for the Warriors,'' Williams said ahead of today's clash between the Dogs and Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

Williams confirmed he almost signed with the Warriors early in 2007 before deciding to stay with the Dogs.

"I guess I still thought I had a lot to prove over in Australia but hopefully the door is still open when I come off contract next time,'' he said.

"I think about what it would be like (to be a Warrior) all the time. "Committing to the Bulldogs was a big decision and I have to live with the one I made. I'm really happy at the Bulldogs right now.''

News that Williams is still flirting with the idea of becoming a Warrior was met last night with genuine excitement by CEO Wayne Scurrah. "We would be a crazy club to say we wouldn't want to talk to Sonny Bill Williams when his current contract comes to an end," he said.

"He's an outstanding player and a real role model for young Kiwi boys."

Last summer's negotiation was the second chance the Warriors had at securing Williams' signature.

Originally, local rugby league identity John Ackland, now assistant coach at the Warriors, masterminded the deal with the Dogs when Williams was a teenager.

Scurrah wouldn't reveal details of last year's talks but did confirm the Warriors had talked with the Kiwis star's agent.

"We certainly had discussions with Gavin Orr, Sonny Bill's agent at the time, about signing him and we probably entered the fray a little later than other clubs," said Scurrah.

"We explored some numbers with him and right up to the day he re-signed with the Bulldogs, we were still talking."

Williams says he doesn't regret re-signing with the Bulldogs.

"I was 16 when I moved over to Australia and I probably wouldn't be the player I am today if I hadn't gone through all the trials and tribulations I went through," Williams said.

"Being over in Sydney on my own without any family, it was pretty tough those first couple of years.

"In saying that, it would have been a lot easier on myself to stay here in New Zealand close to my family."

Ackland was one of the reasons Williams considered signing with the New Zealand club.

"Knowing he was involved with the Warriors was a big factor when I considered the offer and weighed everything up," he said.

"But at the end of the day, I had a lot to prove over in Australia. I had one good year and then I got riddled with injuries. I wanted to have a pretty good year for the Bulldogs last year to prove I was a good player."

Williams' Bulldogs contract finishes at the end of the 2012 season.

But given the off-field dramas that have rocked the Bulldogs lately and the unstable environment in the front office, a move here in the near future is not beyond the realms of possibility.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4478275a1823.html

D

D0ggyStylz

Sack him! Let him go this year.
If he doesn't want to play then let him fark off!

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems Mason was the only one keeping him here at the Doggies, and that is why he was so p!ssed at him when he left.

It's great to know where we stand Sonny lol.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looks like its going to be tough to keep Sonny here for his career

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol all he is saying is he has a soft spot for NZ, but he said he is happy here...deep down i think we all knew he had a soft spot for the warriors.

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unsettled but with 4 and 1/2 yrs to go on his contract it's not even worth discussing.

H

Haztrick

lol at them thinking he will be going to the Warriors any time soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did want to return home, but I can also see him as a Bulldog for life.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
piss everyone off!!!! ffs the disintegrationg of the dogs keeps getting worse. fuk off all the 'not surer's'

Im sure we could hustle up a team off the kennel :p

At least we love the dogs....

J

Johnno

piss everyone off!!!! ffs the disintegrationg of the dogs keeps getting worse. fuk off all the 'not surer's'

Im sure we could hustle up a team off the kennel :p

At least we love the dogs....
Kurrayr as starting hooker, she would be pure destruction :D

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 years is a long way away. And keep him here now cos we need him.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SBW or the Warriors are kidding themselves if they think the Dogs will grant him a release before his contract expires. Anyway, this is all speculation, and will change when or if the team produces some results. SOnny tries his heart out for us every game, so it's unfair to drag his name through the mud and say crap like "fark him, let him go, bla bla bla" If we let him go, im pretty sure there will be bloodshed in belmore lol.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im sick of players not loving the club like they should and like we do.

if any of the rumours about any of the players are true **** them all off and start again with people who actually want and deserve to play in the blue and white

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
hes going nowhere!..lucky we got him at the mo cause hes about the only attacking weapon we have!

kingdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
old stamping ground.. i remember som1 disagreed with me when i said he was at the warriors for a bitand a young young age

Status
Not open for further replies.