Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lebanon too strong for Italy

Thumbs up: 2
    Thumbs down: 1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lebanon too strong for Italy

RLEF Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:24:00

Lebanon got off to a winning start in the 2009 European Cup on Saturday night, defeating a hardy but ultimately overwhelmed Italy, 86-0 in Tripoli in the north of the country.

The Cedars ran in 15 tries in total on a balmy night in a match refereed by Theirry Alibert, full back Adnan Saleh scoring four but he was outshone by man of the match Reece Robinson.

The former Brisbane Broncos first grade centre notched a hat-trick and set up two more for his twin brother and wing partner, Travis while being at the heart of the home side’s destructive attack.

Lebanon Coach John Elias fielded all five domestic quota players in his 17-man squad, with USJ utility Wael Harb bagging a brace and Jounieh prop Youssef El Helou also touching down.

Local favourite Robin Hachache took the ball in solidly all night to the delight of the enthusiastic crowd while half back pairing Liam Ayoub and skipper George Ndeira formed a fine combination not least with their clever kicking games.

"It was a very gratifying for me to watch the domestic players," remarked Elias. "I got a thrill out of seeing them perform and grow amongst the team in training and then produce on game day.”

“As a whole, we worked well as a team. I've been involved in many situations where a team asserts their authority early in the game and then lose their composure but I thought we held our structure for the full 80 minutes."

Reece Robinson set up the opening score after barely 90 seconds, his break and superb off load sending his brother Travis to the posts.

He was again the instigator of the second, expansive play across the line seeing him bring the ball back inside and to within ten metres before releasing loose forward Ahmad Ellaz for the touchdown.

Italy showed some great resolve on their own try line attempting to stem the tide, with skipper Marco Ferrazzano working overtime and producing a number of last gasp efforts but the visitors were unlucky when the ball went to ground as the Cedars again looked to ship it wide, Saleh picking up and dodging over.

The Azzurri established some territory in the Lebanese quarter but were again undone by pace and ball movement, centre Danny Chiha uncovering an overlap and sending his winger Josh Mansour on a 70 metre dash for glory.

Reece Robinson gained his reward when squeezing in at the corner for the fifth try after showing some outstanding footwork and Saleh claimed his second when again the hardworking Italian defence on their own line ran out of numbers and he stepped back on the inside.

Jamie Clark extended the lead, John Koborsi driving the ball in and offloading to Ndeira whose flick back on the inside sent his hooker over, Ndeira’s conversion – one of 12 – bringing up the half century.

Ndeira’s long pass, despite going to ground, was swooped on by Reece Robison who was given a clear run to the line and Ayoub and Ndeira worked their midfield magic for Saleh to link on a fine angled run for his hat trick score from 40 metres out.

Ayoub’s clever chip uncovered Reece Robinson for his hat trick as he looped back to the posts and the crowd were on their feet when local favourite Harb powered on to the ball on half way, angled out to the wing where he went round the cover, handed off full back Edoardo Lerna and completed a remarkable solo effort.

El Helou followed a Danny Chiha break to claim his score, Reece Robinson’s break and short ball sent Travis Robinson over and Saleh bagged his fourth touchdown.

In the closing minutes, Travis Robison drew two defenders and sent Harb through the last remnants of cover for the 15th try, Clark converting.

Despite the final score, Italy showed great improvement from their display at home to Scotland a week ago after more time together as a squad to train.

There was greater structure to their attack, a tougher defence in the middle and a good kick chase in another spirited performance.

Their effort drew praise from experienced Lebanon coach Elias. "Watching the game from the grandstand, some of Italy's defence was very physical” he said.

“It's always going to be hard for a team to come together at short notice; new players don't know each other so they did themselves credit."

His focus, after his nation’s third highest victory, now turns to the group decider in Glasgow next week.

"We have to train towards the conditions. We are anticipating a windy, cold day and a heavy pitch. The bonding in the squad is super, so I don't have much to change on that front.

LEBANON CEDARS 82
    Tries: Adnan Saleh 4, Reece Robinson , Travis Robinson 2, Wael Harb 2, Ahmad Ellaz, Josh Mansour, Jamie Clark, Youssef El Helou
    Goals: George Ndeira 12, Jamie Clark 1

DEFEATED ITALY AZZURI 0
    http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/LatestN...1/Default.aspx

Interesting that Reece Robinson played for Lebanon, thought he was related to Mundine..

Banned

Thumbs up: 0
    Thumbs down: 0

82-0

Kelouna lil watan

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_4 lyf View Post
    82-0

Kelouna lil watan
    86-0
    Bulldogs Army Website
    www.bulldogsarmy.com

BULLDOGS ARMY REGISTER
    Submit your details to the Bulldogs Army Register to be kept up to date with Bulldogs Army organised events such as interstate trips, bus trips to Canberra/Newcastle, special designed Army away bays and more.

Thumbs up: 2

It states 86-0 at the top of the article and 82-0 on the bottom

Go figure

Thumbs up: 12
    Thumbs down: 2
    Chinese Checkers Champion Daffy Jumper Champion Dingle Ball Champion Duck Hunt Champion lehmik Champion
    The Solar Games Champion

Ahmed Ellaz scored woott!!!! lol i get my chicken from his parents shop. Chicken Licken ftw!

btw since when were lebos euro

SaMi..

Thumbs up: 76
    Thumbs down: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Hansta View Post
    Ahmed Ellaz scored woott!!!! lol i get my chicken from his parents shop. Chicken Licken ftw!

Since they had nowhere else to put them LOL, 4nations? Pacific Cup?

I trained with these blokes at Ruse Park, Bankstown 3days before they jumped on the plane, most of the team are between 18-22 years of age, good bunch of blokes.

italy must be crap to get smashed 104-0 (or something like that) by scotland and then 86-0 by lebanon

Thumbs up: 338
    Thumbs down: 12

Woah - what a hiding.

I reckon our Oztag team would give Italy a run for their money

Good to see Ahmed Ellaz grab a try, and Adnan Saleh 4 tries, well done. Surprisingly his yet to play a first grade game. Definitely has more talent then his brother Hassan who played for St. George. Is adnan still with us ?

Thumbs up: 150
    Thumbs down: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mattress B View Post
    Good to see Ahmed Ellaz grab a try, and Adnan Saleh 4 tries, well done. Surprisingly his yet to play a first grade game. Definitely has more talent then his brother Hassan who played for St. George. Is adnan still with us ?
    Yup, pretty sure he's been playing for Bulls all year. Bundy Cup

State of Origin Rep Game Breaker's Avatar

Thumbs up: 17

Quote Originally Posted by will.i.am View Post
    It states 86-0 at the top of the article and 82-0 on the bottom

Go figure

On top of that, the article says they scored 13 converted tries

So the score should be 78

Chinese Checkers Champion Daffy Jumper Champion Dingle Ball Champion Duck Hunt Champion lehmik Champion
    The Solar Games Champion

ahmed ellaz is a massive unit playing for the sharkies toyota cup team. Lol as a 15 year old he was already massive. Used to go to my local gym

Thumbs up: 146
    Thumbs down: 4

lol dirty iti's.
    Braj.

Thumbs up: 67
    Thumbs down: 25

LOL, they don't even know what League is over there. Not sure how they can even field a team.

Thumbs up: 148
    Thumbs down: 232

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDog View Post
    LOL, they don't even know what League is over there. Not sure how they can even field a team.
    there is a local comp played in lebanon which i thin have 6 teams playing in it
    Hello, this is Moleman in the morning, good Moleman to you. Today is part 4 of the series of the agonising pain in which I live every daaaaay...

Its Never Their Fault

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hansta View Post

You know him too? lol

Banned

Josh Mansour as well a mate of mine. Looks like there getting the youngsters to play for them. Most of the boys though don't prefer to go play for Lebanon.

Thumbs up: 148
    Thumbs down: 232

Josh Mansour as well a mate of mine. Looks like there getting the youngsters to play for them. Most of the boys though don't prefer to go play for Lebanon.
    its either that or the NRL clubs just dont allow them to play because they think its a huge risk if they do travel, play then seriously get injured

The Solar Games Champion

You know him too? lol
    yeah lol. well i knew him through his cousin who ive known since primary. Don't know him personally but we used to play footy on the weekend every now and then

Thumbs up: 67
    Thumbs down: 25

Quote Originally Posted by ozman View Post
    there is a local comp played in lebanon which i thin have 6 teams playing in it
    I was talking about Italy bro. Just in case you thought I meant Lebanon.

Thread Information