Why can't officiating in the regular season be like the GF?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Adam Gee was great last night. He should be the premier ref going forward. No bullshit penalties, he just let the game flow. I was actually sitting back, anticipating the Ref to blow his whistle to piggy back one of the teams when they were struggling for metres like we're so used to seeing but that didn't happen.

I swear if it was Sutton, we'd be talking about the officiating rather than what a terrific contest it was.

Best of all, we didn't see the Bunker.

Wish we could see more of this in the regular season, it makes the game so much more enjoyable to watch.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unfortunately lack of competent officials means that the usual suspects will get a run next year. I am not a Gee fan but by golly he was a big reason that the game was so entertaining.

The penalty count could have been anything particularly if Sutton was involved.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree. The way they put the whistle away for origin and finals should be done all the time imo. A much more enjoyable game. Its less outrageous if they completely miss something, than if they review it and get that wrong.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Adam Gee was great last night. He should be the premier ref going forward. No bullshit penalties, he just let the game flow. I was actually sitting back, anticipating the Ref to blow his whistle to piggy back one of the teams when they were struggling for metres like we're so used to seeing but that didn't happen.

I swear if it was Sutton, we'd be talking about the officiating rather than what a terrific contest it was.

Wish we could see more of this in the regular season, it makes the game so much more enjoyable to watch.
What a spectacle

Talk about finally having a ref than reads the room

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right?!! Suddenly they can referee the whole game without blowing the whistle every 3 mins, blasphemy?!!! It’ll never happen, the grand final is treated differently and the rest of the season the officiating will stay being rubbish

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more. The game was a real highlight to showcase the wonderful game that is Rugby league. Not the over-refereed and officiated 6-again game that is now the product dished up by NRL. Why such a change by NRL for the biggest game of the year?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some officials like to be the star of the show. They are ego maniacs with whistles who want to influence games.

Gee was a breath of fresh air. DeKlein had a good performance in the bunker as well. DeKlein was good in the Knights vs Raiders game as well.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He had no need to blow his whistle to even up the game like some do.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beyond his penalty that gave the donkey's field position before their first try, and subsequent momentum afterward, I had no issue with it whatsoever.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The quality of the teams might have had something to do with it. Kevie would have expected the highest of discipline, not to give away stupid penalties. etc, you wont be in with a chance to beat Penrith doing that stuff. Rarely do Penrith get pinged for much, they are super fit. So perhaps that allowed for the ref to let small infringements slide. There where times where Broncos had the forearm layed into players faces on the ground, line balls passed by Penrith let go. There where things from both teams that would have been pulled up in regular season. I just think the ref had a handle on the game and let them play footy.
Take 2 poorly disiplined teams and maybe it makes the refs job harder. Dumb fucks blatently offside rushing out of the line for example you expect refs to ping them for it.
I dunno, just some food for thought.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The quality of the teams might have had something to do with it. Kevie would have expected the highest of discipline, not to give away stupid penalties. etc, you wont be in with a chance to beat Penrith doing that stuff. Rarely do Penrith get pinged for much, they are super fit. So perhaps that allowed for the ref to let small infringements slide. There where times where Broncos had the forearm layed into players faces on the ground, line balls passed by Penrith let go. There where things from both teams that would have been pulled up in regular season. I just think the ref had a handle on the game and let them play footy.
Take 2 poorly disiplined teams and maybe it makes the refs job harder. Dumb fucks blatently offside rushing out of the line for example you expect refs to ping them for it.
I dunno, just some food for thought.
Off side rushing out of the line was very prevalent but the advantage evened out after a while as fatigue kicked in and caused line breaks so the benefit was lost. The lack of 6 agains was a major contributor to fatigue and survival of the fittest that we want to see.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Off side rushing out of the line was very prevalent but the advantage evened out after a while as fatigue kicked in and caused line breaks so the benefit was lost. The lack of 6 agains was a major contributor to fatigue and survival of the fittest that we want to see.
The refs get out of the way usually always makes for a better contest.
As @Moedogg said, added bonus is less Bunker. Bunker is used as a gimmick half the time. Its cringe. Less gimmicks, less stoppages, more fatigue, better footy.
Sutton is the worse ref. Weve seen games fall into disarray with him at times.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You're right..first time I didn't notice the ref's or bunker in a long long time

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Because there are way to many weak sides in the competition like us that can't handle that intensity for 1 game... nevermind a full season. Sad but true.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The refs get out of the way usually always makes for a better contest.
As @Moedogg said, added bonus is less Bunker. Bunker is used as a gimmick half the time. Its cringe. Less gimmicks, less stoppages, more fatigue, better footy.
Sutton is the worse ref. Weve seen games fall into disarray with him at times.
There was lots of passion, pushing and shoving, protecting your halves etc but Gee kept them on task. Probably bc the players knew they couldnt manipulate and game the penalties and just had to get on with it bc the ref wasn't buying into the hoopla.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Because there are way to many weak sides in the competition like us that can't handle that intensity for 1 game... nevermind a full season. Sad but true.
We might be surprised that the lesser teams can do better bc they get a chance to build some momentum and get into the grind of the fair contest instead of the agenda we have now of bias reffing towards the top teams?

Last edited:

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good but wait until Klein and Sutton get to his head

He will 6 again and sin bin like no tomorrow