Turkish Government destroys Anzac monument

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Turkish Government destroys Anzac monument
17 Jun, 2017 6:26pm

An inscription honouring the dead at Anzac Cove has been removed by the Turkish Government.

The 1985 Gallipoli monument was supposed to be restored, but now the words welcoming the dead to rest on Turkish soil have disappeared.

Sources in both Australia and Turkey told the Guardian that the motivations for the "restoration" were partly political, and reflected an increasing emphasis on religion throughout history.

Historians in both countries told the Guardian that they expect the finished renovation to leave the memorial markedly different, thanks to efforts from the Turkish government of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The monument previously read: "Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

"Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.

"You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.

"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

The familiar words, attributed to Turkey's founding father Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, are also inscribed on monuments in Australia and New Zealand.

They've taken on a special place in Anzac mythology, and diplomatic relations with Turkey.

Historians in Australia and Turkey told the Guardian the "refurbishment" could be part of the Erdoğan administration's moves to cast Gallipoli as part of a clash between jihadi defenders and invading crusaders on the shores of Islam.

Professor of history at the University of New South Wales Canberra Peter Stanley said the erasure of the purported Atatürk words reflected a "new theocratic interpretation" of the conflict in Turkey.

"Because the Erdoğan government is in power, Islamists are now in the ascendant - as the new Gaba Tepe interpretative centre [at Gallipoli] shows.

"It depicts Turkey's 86,000 Gallipoli dead as "martyrs", dying in a fight against Christian invaders."

The destruction of the monument was first noticed by a tour guide, who posted a picture on social media.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm confused , was the monument erected to honor both defenders and invaders?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm OR you know what... they might actually be refurbishing it.

Media motto "Don't let potential fact get in the way of a good story."

It's effectively saying that Anzacs and Turks lie together buried in the soil.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why would any country put up a monument to honour people that invaded them?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. It was a monument of peace. Treating the fallen of both sides as brothers in an attempt to avoid further hostility.

The concern is that the Erdogan government's direction will be the opposite. Treating the attacking forces as invaders in an attempt to reignite hostilities between Turkish Muslims and Christian foreigners.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. It was a monument of peace. Treating the fallen of both sides as brothers in an attempt to avoid further hostility.

The concern is that the Erdogan government's direction will be the opposite. Treating the attacking forces as invaders in an attempt to reignite hostilities between Turkish Muslims and Christian foreigners.
That's very PC for Turkey , I can see why erdogan would want to destroy it.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Realistically
It's in turkey
It's not up to us to say what they should or shouldn't do

Regardless of our emotional position on the topic

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Realistically
It's in turkey

Exactly... they could tear it down and build two 100m high squirting dicks with the inscription "Eat a dick Australia/Eat a dick New Zealand" up the flange if they really wanted to.

Harsh perhaps but we don't need Gallipoli to honor the fallen soliders of the past. They are in OUR history, OUR heritage, and were OUR soliders. Let's honour their passing in their home countries not overseas.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly... they could tear it down and build two 100m high squirting dicks with the inscription "Eat a dick Australia/Eat a dick New Zealand" up the flange if they really wanted to.

Harsh perhaps but we don't need Gallipoli to honor the fallen soliders of the past. They are in OUR history, OUR heritage, and were OUR soliders. Let's honour their passing in their home countries not overseas.
True
Fuck em
Let em do what they want

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's very PC for Turkey , I can see why erdogan would want to destroy it.
It's coz turkey is meant to be a secular country but erdogan wants to bring back the great Ottoman Empire with the help of his rats isis.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest people shouldn't let this affect the way they remember their fallen here in Australia, Turkey has their own government and rules so they are free to do what they want realistically just as we are if needed in our own land

I do like the story and legend of the Anzacs but I think it should only be done here for services as it's our history

When I go to visit my brother in Rookwood we go past very old graves of WW1 veterans/service people near the bottom and I never see people out there or flowers for them yet people will fly all the way out to Turkey for a few days and mourn there as some died on foreign soil.

Don't those same forgotten people who survived the war deserve to have their graves visited too when it's in our backyard?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think there are any specific statistics, but it's said around 60,000 Australians were killed in combat in WW1 in various areas.

Of them 8709 Australians died (and 2701 NZ soldiers) at Gallipoli.

So about 14% of soldiers deployed to WW1 were killed in battle at Gallipoli.

When you think about it that way it's not as significant an area of rememberance as others. If that makes sense (and not discrediting the service and their lives they gave for this country).

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think there are any specific statistics, but it's said around 60,000 Australians were killed in combat in WW1 in various areas.

Of them 8709 Australians died (and 2701 NZ soldiers) at Gallipoli.

So about 14% of soldiers deployed to WW1 were killed in battle at Gallipoli.

When you think about it that way it's not as significant an area of rememberance as others. If that makes sense (and not discrediting the service and their lives they gave for this country).
Thats still a hell of a lot Aussies, considering D Day had about 6,500 American deaths. WW1 tactics were ridiculous though, you'd essentially charge at the enemy like they did 1000s of years ago but you'd be running directly into gunfire.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats still a hell of a lot Aussies, considering D Day had about 6,500 American deaths. WW1 tactics were ridiculous though, you'd essentially charge at the enemy like they did 1000s of years ago but you'd be running directly into gunfire.
Yep. But in this case they were running straight up the side of a cliff.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't forget Australia's population was so small in ww1. Wasn't a whole generation of men pretty much wiped out from Australia coz of ww1?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. But in this case they were running straight up the side of a cliff.
We were pretty much cannon fodder for the Brits, reminds me of that south park scene in the movie, operation get behind the darkies lol.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Realistically
It's in turkey

no they wanted the war, they conducted genocide and lost the war, so fuck them they should be humble about it for another 100 years

Status
Not open for further replies.