Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malla

Reaction score
I'll concede that we've spent a lot for Reynolds. He's our riskiest signing as far as I'm concerned but, I think Ivan's got a plan for him. We'll just have to wait and see how he goes next year.
Cleary knows Reynolds is perfect for Brooks.

Brooks has actually been playing excellent footy the last few weeks, coming into his own without Moses. Lolohea will go back to fullback, you would assume, and they could potentially have one of the better spines in the league.

Malla

Reaction score
Also with Benji coming on - he probably won't play much first grade, if anything off the bench and over for injuries, but he will make a great impact in the locker room. Good signing by Cleary.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Marshall has played at fullback before... I wonder if that's what Cleary is thinking as he's got the pace for it!?!

1. Marshall
6. Lolohea
7. Brooks
9. Reynolds

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marshall as replacement 5/8 in case Reynolds gets injured/has one too many brain snaps. No way they would put him at FB when they've got Lolohea

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To be fair to mr invis tacky is sugar coating and twisting shit. He used Lichaa in dogs list who's gone next year along with Reynolds kas and whoever else. Eastwood not on 850k and woods isn't on 800k. Like saying packer and matulino are on 900k. Pie in the sky. Granted Eastwood has Been rumoured to be on a backend deal and woods no doubt the best part of 600k though there was also talk packer was offered 700k from dragons and tigers outbid them.

Regardless they both would be at their limits or bloody close.

With that said we at least in the next 12 months (if not before) we will have 2.5-3.5 mil off the books between Morris bros Graham Eastwood and with any luck tolman.

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be fair to mr invis tacky is sugar coating and twisting shit. He used Lichaa in dogs list who's gone next year along with Reynolds kas and whoever else. Eastwood not on 850k and woods isn't on 800k. Like saying packer and matulino are on 900k. Pie in the sky. Granted Eastwood has Been rumoured to be on a backend deal and woods no doubt the best part of 600k though there was also talk packer was offered 700k from dragons and tigers outbid them.

Regardless they both would be at their limits or bloody close.

With that said we at least in the next 12 months (if not before) we will have 2.5-3.5 mil off the books between Morris bros Graham Eastwood and with any luck tolman.
Don't know where you're getting your stats from mate.

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/greg-eastwood/
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/aaron-woods/
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/josh-morris/
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/brett-morris/
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/moses-mbye/
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/411ffe41a997c2553f7393a6d1173f1d

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your doing this to rile me up aren't ya.

Brooks-$550k
Matulino-$425k
Packer-$500k
McQueen-$400k
Reynolds-$750k
Lolohea-$400k
Marshall-$150k

That's $3.1m, the rest are on peanuts. Do you really think we're paying Eisenhuth, Liddle, Twal, Sue, Aloiai, Chee-Kam and Grant that much? we're basically using half a reserve grade squad this year. Even Nofoaluma, Marsters and Mcilwrick aren't on that much. Also, Lawrence's contract will be completely consumed by the veterans allowance next year.

Compare that to the Dogs.

Eastwood-$850k
Graham-$1m
Morris Bros.-$700k each
Mbye-$750k
Lichaa-$300k
Woods-$800k
Foran-$600k
I think you have undervalued Matulino grossly at $425 a season. Probably a couple of others too. Either way you are speculating just as much as the media have been prone to do regarding our players salaries. I'd not care to guess how close to the cap you are to be honest. I don't think anybody bar those in a tight loop at any club should speculate. But I definitely think you've misjudged by a long way on your estimations. Even with the addition of a well credentialed coach I'd say the lure of leaving the gold coast for a new lifestyle in the western suburbs didn't make McQueen sign on for peanuts. He's been in the frame for origin duties in recent years and would have had some decent offers.

I know the tigers had a lot of players off contract and couldn't retain three of the players who reputedly scored big money contracts on their current deals. But the Tigpies can't legitimately claim that they'll have players joining for lifestyle decisions. And the western suburbs wouldn't attract huge TPA opportunities to my way of thinking. They've struggled for a few too many years to justify big money sponsorship deals.

They've definitely done well with recruitment though. But I'm certain from. The reputedly big coin they offered Reynolds that they paid well for each big name they signed and in the next few seasons will lose some quality juniors the fans would like to see retained as a result of their market activity this year.

Last edited:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
And this is the problem with the numbers that get mentioned on here. Old Tacky boy has cited Zero Tackle as the authoritative source for how much everyone is getting paid. Now, where did ZT get there gilt edged information? James Hooper et al!! Where does he get his information? Anywhere he likes including here! So now someone mentioned (in jest - I hope) that JMoz is actually on $2m it will no doubt bounce around the various areas and become "fact" in a newspaper article shortly and we will all read it, post it and jump up and down at the ridiculous amount he is getting paid. Meanwhile, back in the real world, JMoz is ringing his manager to find out where all the money has gone......

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And this is the problem with the numbers that get mentioned on here. Old Tacky boy has cited Zero Tackle as the authoritative source for how much everyone is getting paid. Now, where did ZT get there gilt edged information? James Hooper et al!! Where does he get his information? Anywhere he likes including here! So now someone mentioned (in jest - I hope) that JMoz is actually on $2m it will no doubt bounce around the various areas and become "fact" in a newspaper article shortly and we will all read it, post it and jump up and down at the ridiculous amount he is getting paid. Meanwhile, back in the real world, JMoz is ringing his manager to find out where all the money has gone......
I'm not claiming that these figures are 100% correct but, they are the same as I've seen from multiple sources, which include supposed insiders information. They are probably as close to the actual figure as you'll get but hey, it's all speculation and rumours anyway.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
So you believe a rubbish site as fact. No wonder you think you got matulino at that price.

You are almost paying Suli that ffs.

Also the fact it was all over fox sports about packer being offered huge dollars by your mob after dragons threw big money is more accurate then some hackwebsite

Last edited:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So you believe a rubbish site as fact. No wonder you think you got matulino at that price.

You are almost paying Suli that ffs.

Also the fact it was all over fox sports about packer being offered huge dollars by your mob after dragons threw big money is more accurate then some hackwebsite
Too true. The bottom line is no-one has any reliable info on what the players are earning. In fact I would be surprised if the players themselves actually know how much their contracts are for. They only get an allowance from their managers every month and the rest gets invested.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cleary knows Reynolds is perfect for Brooks.

Brooks has actually been playing excellent footy the last few weeks, coming into his own without Moses. Lolohea will go back to fullback, you would assume, and they could potentially have one of the better spines in the league.
That's pretty much what everyone said. Lolohea will go to fullback. Reynolds will play 6 off the cuff while Brookes focuses on controlling the game.

Moses and Brookes would never work because they both tried to control the game. Brookes plays like Scott Prince while Reynolds plays like Benji. It's a good balanced combo. Benji will be there too to provide some support.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Marshall has played at fullback before... I wonder if that's what Cleary is thinking as he's got the pace for it!?!

1. Marshall
6. Lolohea
7. Brooks
9. Reynolds
Benji is too old to play fullback now but Cleary is an idiot so anything could happen.

Reynolds is also rubbish at hooker as we all know but then again you have people like Joey Johns saying that Reynolds could be the best hooker ever.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's pretty much what everyone said. Lolohea will go to fullback. Reynolds will play 6 off the cuff while Brookes focuses on controlling the game.

Moses and Brookes would never work because they both tried to control the game. Brookes plays like Scott Prince while Reynolds plays like Benji. It's a good balanced combo. Benji will be there too to provide some support.
Reynolds is not like Benji at all. Benji could/can create things from nothing and set up his outside players. Reynolds strength is in backing up line breaks and being unpredictable (to everyone). I can't see Brooks being like Prince at all. Yes he can kick and run but I don't see him as a playmaker. He is a ball runner much more than a play maker.

Malla

Reaction score
Reynolds is not like Benji at all. Benji could/can create things from nothing and set up his outside players. Reynolds strength is in backing up line breaks and being unpredictable (to everyone). I can't see Brooks being like Prince at all. Yes he can kick and run but I don't see him as a playmaker. He is a ball runner much more than a play maker.
I actually think Benji and Reynolds are similar. Benji is obviously the more talented one with better footwork etc, but in the scheme of things their job was the same - play off the cuff to the half back and look for opportunities. Benji could never win a comp without Prince, or a good halfback at that.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think Benji and Reynolds are similar. Benji is obviously the more talented one with better footwork etc, but in the scheme of things their job was the same - play off the cuff to the half back and look for opportunities. Benji could never win a comp without Prince, or a good halfback at that.
diference is benji can throw a long ball on target or put on a kick for the corner. reynolds crabs across the field and drops someone under or almost gets rag dolled over the sideline and he has hands for feet when it comes to any type of kicks

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
diference is benji can throw a long ball on target or put on a kick for the corner. reynolds crabs across the field and drops someone under or almost gets rag dolled over the sideline and he has hands for feet when it comes to any type of kicks
Agree. I think because people see Reynolds doing things off the cuff and they see Benji doing things off the cuff they must be similar players, but realistically they are chalk and cheese. Reynolds is just a dogged sort of bloke who never gives up, Benji is/was a footballing genius who at his peak could take a team to another level. It's a bit like comparing an MX-5 to a Ferrari. They are both sports cars, but....

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The benji special is a cutput pass to the 5th row of the crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.