The Kennel selects the greatest 10 players since 1980. Number 2?

2nd best player since 1980?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Cameron Smith

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Johnathan Thurston

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Brad Fittler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Billy Slater

• Brett Kenny

• Bradley Clyde

• Glenn Lazarus

• Greg Inglis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Andrew Johns

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm gonna say either ricky Stuart or Laurie Daley as number 2

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Fucking lol at putting players like GI and Slater on that poll before Meninga...

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lockyer and it's not even close.

The ONLY person who dominated two positions. Was the world's best fullback, and was the world's best 5/8. Thurston technically has played both 6 and 7 but they are both halves.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lockyer and it's not even close.

The ONLY person who dominated two positions. Was the world's best fullback, and was the world's best 5/8. Thurston technically has played both 6 and 7 but they are both halves.
And he couldn't tackle in either position

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fucking lol at putting players like GI and Slater on that poll before Meninga...
None of the 3 will win this poll so stop your bitching

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And he couldn't tackle in either position
No worse than many halves, and his defence as a fullback was pretty decent. Didn't really have to defend much though- that Brisbane side was the best side I've seen (I'm not old enough to have seen the Dragons in the 60's, and even the Dogs/Eels in the 80's was a bit before my time). The Brisbane 1998 side was simply elite- and no there is not a chance it was under the cap lol! Was dead set the Australian side haha!

His defence in later years was very good, and he always picked the right option.

1. Lockyer
2. Smith
3. Thurston/Johns
4. Thurston/Johns

Those are the top 4, with the top 2 for me fairly comfortable. I'd go Lockyer, but I can see the argument for Smith despite him being only a hooker.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No worse than many halves, and his defence as a fullback was pretty decent. Didn't really have to defend much though- that Brisbane side was the best side I've seen (I'm not old enough to have seen the Dragons in the 60's, and even the Dogs/Eels in the 80's was a bit before my time). The Brisbane 1998 side was simply elite- and no there is not a chance it was under the cap lol! Was dead set the Australian side haha!

His defence in later years was very good, and he always picked the right option.

1. Lockyer
2. Smith
3. Thurston/Johns
4. Thurston/Johns

Those are the top 4, with the top 2 for me fairly comfortable. I'd go Lockyer, but I can see the argument for Smith despite him being only a hooker.
LMFAO at his defense being very good. He was a terrible defender his whole career. You saying Lockyer was a great defender proves you don't even watch defense. Lockyer is not even top 3. Your list is literally the worst I've ever seen. Joy maybe 4th LMFAO.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMFAO at his defense being very good. He was a terrible defender his whole career. You saying Lockyer was a great defender proves you don't even watch defense. Lockyer is not even top 3. Your list is literally the worst I've ever seen. Joy maybe 4th LMFAO.
His defence was decent, yes it was helped by having Tonie Carroll next to him, but every good half has some sort of bodyguard, it is the way it is. I never said Lockyer was the best defender at all, but was it beyond awful, no it wasn't. I said he dominated two positions, thus personally he's ahead of the others. Johns and Thurston are similar, switch them if you want. I have Smith easily ahead of Johns not even close. Best hooker I've seen period. Johns as good as he was...is he better than Langer, Stuart, or Thurston. Good halfbacks.

I will always favour guys who do it in multiple positions personally, especially when they were the world's best in those positions.

It is a subjective list you are welcome to have Johns at 1, I just don't that is all.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It was awful. He was alway in the top 5 most missed tackles in the NRL even with Carroll next to him. He was always surrounded by rep players yet only won 1 title in his last 11 seasons. If Johns had those Broncos players he would've made the GF every year that he wasn't injured.

It's not subjective enough to have Joey at 4. Anyone that doesn't have Joey in the top 2 loses my respect when it comes to Rugby League. Shows me that they know nothing. It's like saying Michael Jordan is the 4th best basketball player of all-time.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cam Smith should've been number 1. Put him in any side, and instantly they're a top 4 side as far as I'm concerned.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cam Smith should've been number 1. Put him in any side, and instantly they're a top 4 side as far as I'm concerned.
This Newcastle side wouldn't be a top 4 side. Also if he played in Joey's day that wouldn't be true either.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hell even Melbourne haven't finished top 4 every year this decade

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hell even Melbourne haven't finished top 4 every year this decade
9/10 is pretty damn good. lol

What I was getting at is that he makes any team capable of making the top 4.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Cant vote on polls via app but CS9 for sure. Massively influential at every level

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Andrew Johns is clear number 1 by a long shot. He dominated games single handedly, irrespective of level.

He thrashed a Qld spine of Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Cam Smith. Yes 3 of the 4 were still young and learning their trade, but none the less they had Lockyer to guide them around, but all of it was to no avail when up against Johns.

As far as best ever club side, NO SINGLE TEAM COMES CLOSE to the 93 and 94 Canberra side. They were completely on another level

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
As far as best ever club side, NO SINGLE TEAM COMES CLOSE to the 93 and 94 Canberra side. They were completely on another level
Funny thing is they were done for salary cap cheating a few years earlier...yet still retained so many players on 'pay cuts' lol.

Fuck they were a good team though - Stuart, Meninga, Clyde, Mullins, Daley, Walters, Croker, Nadruku, Nagas, Wiki, Furner - all Rep players...

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Funny thing is they were done for salary cap cheating a few years earlier...yet still retained so many players on 'pay cuts' lol.

Fuck they were a good team though - Stuart, Meninga, Clyde, Mullins, Daley, Walters, Croker, Nadruku, Nagas, Wiki, Furner - all Rep players...
Mate there were other good teams at the time too.

Manly were very strong
Brisbane were very strong
We were strong

And Canberra blew them all away, if Stuart didn't break his leg in 93 they definitely would've gone back to back

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Growing up, the Raiders had interest from my home town as it was pretty much our "local" team, and I could recall the team from the late 80s/early 90s as well, if not better than the Dogs team of the same era.

Who would have thought as a great like Gary Belcher was retiring another superstar in Brett Mullins would pop up. You could add guys like Gary Coyne and Peter Jackson in the late 80s squad. And a young fella by the name of Glen Lazarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.